Firearms Licensing FAQs

Who do I make cheques payable to?

Police and Crime Commissioner for South Yorkshire 

Where do I send my application to?

Our address is:

Firearms Licensing Department
South Yorkshire Police Headquarters
Carbrook House
5 Carbrook Hall Road
Sheffield S9 2EH

Who is a prohibited person?

A person who has been sentenced to imprisonment (including suspended sentences), detention or corrective training for a term of three years or more, is permanently prohibited from having any firearms or ammunition in their possession. This means for life and includes all firearms, even air weapons.
A person sentenced to imprisonment (including suspended sentences), detention or corrective training for a period of over three months but less than three years is prohibited form possessing firearms and ammunition for five years from date of release.
It is an offence to sell or transfer firearms and ammunition to a person you have grounds to believe may be prohibited.

Do I need to declare previous convictions?

Yes, including all cautions, traffic convictions and any convictions received abroad. Spent convictions should also be declared on any application. It is an offence to fail to declare any previous conviction. If you are unsure of the specific dates or offences please provide as much information as possible

What do I do if I move house?

Inform the Firearms Licensing Department in writing detailing your new address and any new phone numbers. Include your certificate in order that it can be updated. A security check may need to be carried out. For any change of address out of the South Yorkshire Police force area, your file will be transferred to the relevant police force's licensing department.

What do I do if I lose my certificate?

Report the loss to a local police station and inform the Firearms Licensing Department in writing detailing the reference number, which will be given to you at the local police station. A fee of £4 is payable for a lost or stolen certificate

Can I use my Firearms or Shotgun Certificate as a form of identification?

A number of organisations notably banks/building societies and phone companies include Firearm and Shotgun Certificates as acceptable identification. However, this has obvious security implications and certificate holders would be well advised to refrain from using their certificates for anything other than their intended purpose.

What is a "one-for-one" variation?

A "one-for-one" variation is a variation of a Firearms Certificate whereby an authority is added to replace a weapon, which has been disposed of. This type of variation is free of charge. To qualify you must submit a variation application form within seven days of the disposal of the firearm.
If you wish to increase the number of weapons held on your certificate the fee for the variation is £20.

How long does the application process take?

The application for a grant of a Shotgun or Firearms Certificate will take approximately eight weeks from receipt of a correctly completed application.

On renewal, Firearms Licensing will send out a renewal pack between 20 and 16 weeks before the expiry date. This should be completed and returned 14 days from receipt of the pack by the applicant. This will ensure that the department is given sufficient time to complete the process.

If you have any other questions please contact the Firearms Licensing Department.

You will find the full Firearms Licensing guidance on the Home Office website.