On 4 November 2011 the new non-emergency contact number for South Yorkshire Police changed to 101.

We have introduced this simple number to make it easier for you to contact South Yorkshire Police and report non-urgent crime and issues.

When should you call 101?

To report less urgent crime or disorder and for general police enquiries. For example:
• if your car has been stolen
• if your property has been damaged
• when you suspect drug use or drug dealing
• to report a minor traffic collision
• to make us aware of policing issues in your area
• for any other general enquiries.

Using 101 for situations, that do not require an immediate police response (such as those outlined above) helps keep 999 available for when there is an emergency.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired, you can textphone us on 18001 101 or 0114 2523294 or send and SMS to 07786220022. More information can be found about this service here.

The new number will replace our 0114 2202020 non-emergency number which will eventually be phased out, although we will also keep this number available for the time being. Got a question? Take a look at the frequently asked questions.

Sheffield 101 service

The 101 number will be familiar to Sheffield residents who have had access to an enhanced partnership service since 2006 allowing them to report council issues as well as non-emergency police incidents and antisocial behaviour all through 101. At this time only Sheffield residents can report council issues through 101 and if you live in Sheffield you should see no change to the service already provided.

If you have a question about the new 101 service, please take a look at the frequently asked questions.

In an emergency - when life is in danger or there is a crime in progress you should ALWAYS call 999.