Community Safety Department Management Team Meeting - 18 August 2009

CSD MANAGEMENT MEETING - 18 AUGUST 2009 - NUNNERY SQUARE CONFERENCE ROOM

Present:
Superintendent Mick Webster - Chair  (MW)
Chief Inspector Paul Varley  (PV)
Evans Chisala - Operational Management Accountant (EC).
Margaret Lawson – Performance Manager, SCEU (ML)
Yvonne Duffin - Project Development Manager (YD)
Louisa Bennett – Lifewise Centre Manager (LB)
Insp Stuart Edwards – SCPU (SE)
Terry Haith – Office Manager – CSD (TH)
Melissa Cole – Secretary - CSD

Apologies:
Chief Inspector Iain Chorlton (IC)
Phil White - Performance Manager, SCPU
Rachel Greenfield – Personnel Manager
Mick Hunter – Project Development Manager (MH)
Insp Gwyn Thomas – SCEU – (GT)
Steven Connor - Business Manager (SC)

1. Presentation – Lotus Notes

Wendy Abbott gave a presentation on Lotus Notes, this included how to use its key functions such as scheduling a meeting and gaining access to other individual diaries in order to check availability. 

Supt Webster asked Managers to cascade the learning to staff. Wendy Abbott and Lucy Hayward to sit with individuals who may require further help using Lotus Notes.

2. Standing Items

Declaration of Any Other Business

Conferences
Furniture

Minutes of Last Meeting

The minutes of the last meeting held on 8 July 09 were proved as both a true and accurate record. 

Action Schedule Update

Please refer to the attached Action Schedule. 

Business Plan Update

No update was given.

Carry Forward – Under spend

Discussions took place in relation to what the current carry forwards are for CSD.

It was confirmed that ACC Holt has requested knowledge of where any under spend blockages lay. 

Action Arising:  All to make EC aware of what blockages maybe causing the current under spend. 

CSD/ ISD Accommodation Plans

No update was given. 

Risk Register

No update was given. 

Finance Update

EC gave an overview of the departments current under spend for this financial year.

MW suggested EC should give a presentation at the next Management Meeting relating to ‘Budget Cuts and how this will affect the public sector in the next 3 years’.

Action Arising:  EC to give a presentation on ‘Budget Cuts and how this will affect the public sector in the next 3 years’ at the next Management Meeting.

MW asked all Manager to focus on non-recurrent cost’s and bid into the underspend. 

Diversity Update

MW advised all that Diversity Strands are due to be amalgamated with a single act. 

3.  Leadership

Leaders in Action

MW advised all that bespoke training events are to take place in the near future.  These are to be carried out in accordance to the training needs expressed by departmental staff.  MW also asked Department Heads to liaise with staff in order to determine a suitable location for these training events to be held. 

Action Arising: Department Heads to identify staff training needs and preferred locations for these events, then to liaise with Tanya Wright.

Citizen Focus

No update was given. 

4.  Policy and Formulation

No update was given. 

5.  People Management

Staffing Issues

Discussions took place in relation to the movement of Admin and Finance in CSD.  It was confirmed they are not to move until at least March 2010.

MW confirmed two additional offices are to be created within CSD, for use by Department Heads and Inspector but also for others who need to use a private workspace. 

LB confirmed Sharon Storey is to cover Heather Brown’s work when she takes maternity cover in October.

SE confirmed that John Shillito is due to retire from SYP.

It was confirmed that the new Prevent Researcher Bethany Somerset is due to start in CSD on 1 September 2009. 

Personal Development Reviews

Discussions took place in relation to the individuals who have outstanding PDR’s and the reasons behind this. 

Weekly Leave

No update given

Personal Safety Training

It was confirmed CSD have no lapses in relation to Personal Safety Training.  SE is exempt from completing this training due to retirement. 

Health and Safety

TH confirmed a Nunnery Square Health and Safety Committee Meeting has recently taken place, and that the Terms of Reference for this meeting have been revised. 

Building inspections will now take place quarterly; this will include risk and hazards. 

MW asked for Fire Wardens to facilitate fire drills when they take place.

6.  Partnerships & Resources

No update given.

7.  CSD Restructure Update

No update was given. 
  
8.  Finance Brigading Update

SC Was not present to give an update. 

9. Digi – TV

IC was not present to give an update on this subject. 

10. A.O.B

Conferences

PV raised concerns with regards to Conference attendance being deemed appropriate and whether the right people are attending them.  As a way forward MW advised MC to delete any emails from private companies sending information direct to her on Conferences, and for Admin not to circulate any flyers received through the mail .   

Office Furniture Movement

ML raised issues relating to the movement of office desks/ chairs in SCE’s part of the office. 

MW confirmed this could take place but only if passed by SC first. 
 
11. Date of Next Meeting

22 September 2009, 10.00 – 12.00noon, Conference Room – Nunnery Square. 

Action DateOwnerActionUpdate
Action 3 – 04.03.09Steve Connor SC to review the Victim Support policy and to liaise with CJAD in order to decide who takes over complete ownership, with regards to Mick Webster  running reports. 08.07.09 – This action passed to MW to report back at next meeting – ONGOING 18.08.09 – CSD are to keep complete  ownership of Victim SupportDISCHARGED
Action 1 – 20.04.09AllAny ideas, designs or views from the teams with regards to the office working space to be put forward to SC to enable the consultation process to begin. 08.07.09 – Draft plans have been drawn up and passed to Martin Roberts in Facilities Management – SC to chase – ONGOING See minutes for further updates and new actions. 18.08.09 – MW discussed with SC that is to be a replication of Denise Barker’s Office to be utilised by Management Team level.DISCHARGED.
Action 2 – 20.04.09Steve Connor SC to arrange for Deborah Stones, Business Change, to give an overview as to how the Risk Assessment Process works. 
08.07.09 SC to arrange for Deborah Stones to attend the next meeting – ONGOING See minutes for further updates and new actions. 18.08.09 – SC was not present to give an update.  ONGOING. 
Action1 - 08.07.09Steve Connor SC to send out an e-mail to CSD staff to obtain feedback on whether there is sufficient demand for the vending machines. 18.08.09DISCHARGED.
Action 2 – 08.07.09Steve ConnorSC to communicate with CJAD and ISD to obtain a decision as to whether the vending machines can be relocated to another floor or can be removed.  A deadline of 28 days to reply has been set. 18.08.09 – The vending machine is to be moved but the location/ date is still yet to be confirmed.ONGOING.
Action 3 – 08.07.09Steve ConnorSC to send information to all relevant staff of what the Risk Register is all about and what should or should not be entered onto it. 18.08.09 – This action has been deferred. DEFERRED. 
Action 4 – 08.07.09  Agenda Item  To keep the ‘carry forward’ as an agenda item for future Management Meetings until the underspend has been spent 18.08.09 – This action is now on the Command Team and Management Meeting Agenda. DISCHARGED. 
Action 5 – 08.07.09 Steve ConnorSC to forward budget codes and the location of the budget spreadsheet to all the Budget Managers within 7 days 18.08.09 – TH has details of this and will cascade this on to colleagues on request. DISCHARGED. 
Action 6 – 08.07.09 Iain ChorltonIC to arrange for Katy Beal, Researcher, to provide an up date on ‘Leaders In Action the week prior to the Management Meeting. 18.08.09 – YD confirmed Katie Beal is in touch with ‘Leaders in Action’ and will update the group when they receive any information. ONGOING. 
Action 7 – 08.07.09Iain ChorltonIC to provide an update from CI Eddie Murphy on Citizen Focus the week prior to the Management Meeting. 18.08.09 – On hold.DEFERRED. 
  Action 8 – 08.07.09 Mick Webster MW to determine where the Victim Support Policy goes. 18.08.09 – It was confirmed CSD are to remain in full ownership of Victim Support. DISCHARGED.
Action 9 – 08.07.09 Jenny Webb JW to send an email on behalf of MW to Rachael Greenfield, Personnel Manager for clarification and comment on the matter of staff with a migration plan starting their new role before receiving any letter of confirmation from Personnel. 18.08.09 – An email has been received from RG relating to this action.  DISCHARGED. 
Action 10– 08.07.09Steve Connor SC to look at the enclosure of the Custodian’s area on front reception and report back at the next Management Meeting. 18.08.09 – Deferred due to SC not being present. DEFERRED. 
Action 11 – 08.07.09Wendy Abbott Wendy Abbott, Lotus Notes Administrator to give a brief presentation on the correct use of Lotus Notes prior to the next Management Meeting. 18.08.09 – Presentation has taken place. DISCHARGED. 
Action 12 – 08.07.09Steve Connor SC to confirm with Nigel Hiller that all fax machines are to be removed. 18.08.09DEFERRED.
Action 1 – 18.08.09AllAll to make EC aware of what blockages maybe causing the current under spend.  
Action 2 – 18.08.09 Evans Chisala EC to give a presentation on ‘Budget Cuts and how this will affect the public sector in the next 3 years’ at the next Management Meeting.  
Action 3 – 18.08.09Department Heads Department Heads to identify staff training needs and preferred locations for these events, then to liaise with Tanya Wright. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




 

   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Date: 

Tuesday, 18 August, 2009 - 12:15