Community Safety Department Management Team Meeting - 20 April 2009

CSD MANAGEMENT MEETING - 20 April 2009 AT 10.00 AM - NUNNERY SQUARE CONFERENCE ROOM

Present:
Superintendent Mick Webster - Chair  (MW)
Chief Inspector Paul Varley  (PV)
Inspector Stuart Edwards (SE)
Steven Connor - Business Manager (SC)
Evans Chisala - Operational Management Accountant (EC).
Phil White – Performance Manager (PW)
Louisa Bennett - Lifewise Centre Manager (LB)
Andy Foster – Projects Development Manager (AF)
Margaret Lawson – Performance Manager (ML)
Jenny Webb – Secretarial/ Admin Assistant (minutes)

Apologies:
Chief Inspector Iain Chorlton
Inspector Caroline Rollitt
Rachel Greenfield – Personnel Manager

1.  Standing Items

Declaration of Any Other Business

No declarations.

Minutes of Last Meeting

The minutes of the last meeting held on 4 March 09 were proved as both a true and accurate record. 

Action Schedule

Please see attached action schedule.

There was an amendment to Action 2 (4.03.09)

IC to check if spinal points on the pay scales stay the same on each band if a successful applicant completes the suitability interview and moves to their new role, which is of their current grade.

This action has now been transferred to Rachel Greenfield  and is to be reported on by e-mail.

Business Plan Update

SC confirmed that both the Business Plans have now been posted and meetings are to be held with Terry Haith in regards to populating, these also link in with the Budget Plan.

SC is to give a brief resume to the Management Team on the access and use of the Business Plan at the next meeting.

Risk Register

SC confirmed that the Risk Register is up to date and stated that ISD & CSD are some of the best in the Force.

SC is to raise the Risk Register at each Management Meeting to see if there are any new risks around the new projects.

Around each project there will be a mini Risk Register which the Project Management Team can populate, SC will create a link between this and the principal register so that information feeds in to the Command Team who will decide whether it needs escalating further to the SCT. 

MW stated that all Managers are to have knowledge of the Corporate Risks around the Department and the Force.

Finance Update

EC gave a brief update on the Finance budget and confirmed that there is a carry forward of £145,000.

There are still funds to be used for the Lifewise Centre and SC is tasked with creating a spending plan for the 07/08 & the 08/09 carry forwards.  Funding will also be required for the training of the Band E & D roles and the 2 Researcher posts within the new units.

SC is to provide a costed accurate plan to be submitted to Nigel Hiller.

Diversity Update

Inspector Paul Varley will attend the Diversity Board Meeting on the 1st May on behalf of Supt Mick Webster.

No other issues were raised.

2.  Leadership

Leaders in Action / Citizen Focus

The Command Team are putting together an outlined plan, with Chief Inspectors being mainly responsible, looking at capacity and what CSD can do to get more centrally involved with the more important issues.

Prevent

PV gave a brief update and confirmed that the main issues at the moment are training for Police Staff.  Andy Nolan has taken the lead on this with a contest training sub group being established looking at all aspects of training.

Education issues are being led by Inspector Jenny Lax for Sheffield and Sgt Karen Newton for Rotherham, who together will be looking at an action plan to put out to Doncaster and Barnsley. 

PV will have a key role in making sure that the corporate message is being delivered across the Force.

The Prevent Engagement Plan is being rolled out and is to be put onto the Intranet.

3.  Policy and Strategy / Partnership and Resources

A discussion took place around the new roles and the concerns about the lack of clarity, SE and his team are to meet with CI Chorlton to address this issue.
 
MW requested that it would be sufficient for any updates of Policy Management issues be sent to the meetings through CI Chorlton from Dawn Drury-Smith and  Strategic Partnership issues sent to CI Varley from Marie Carroll.
 
4.  People Management

An e-mail update from RG was received after the meeting due to the Secretary being on annual leave.

Staffing Issues

SE raised the question of working space for his new team and asked if SC could give a brief update to clarify the term ‘Brigading’ and the implications this holds for the Department.

SC confirmed that CSD Admin/Finance and ISD Admin/Finance will become the ‘Brigaded Team’ to be sited on the 1st floor when CJAD vacate at the end of June.

A Conference room has been outlined for the space in CSD.

A discussion took place around the work space in CSD and SC welcomed any ideas or plans to be put forward to enable a central plan to be submitted.

Action Arising:
Any ideas, designs or views from the teams with regards to the office working space to be put forward to SC to enable the consultation process to begin.

Personal Development Reviews

RG has confirmed that there are currently 4 members of staff with outstanding PDR’s

Weekly Leave

No update

Personal Safety Training

All up to date

Health and Safety

There was a discussion around the need for Managers to have a knowledge of how the Risk Assessment Process works.

Action Arising:
SC to make arrangements for Deborah Stones, Business Change, to give an overview as to how the Risk Assessment Process works.

5.  CSD Restructure Update

MW gave an update on the CSD Restructure.  Every person subject to the restructure will have a migration plan which will be recorded on the Business Plan.

Everyone’s job has to be deconstructed eg, what they currently do and what they did in the past, then see what is to be taken into the new role, if anything. It will then be reviewed as to whether the work still needs to be done and where to home it if not. When everything is ready to move on the ‘Trial Periods’ will then commence. 

MW urged anyone with concerns with the process to come forward. 

Further discussions took place around these issues.
 
6.   Collaborative Working

MW gave a brief overview of collaborative working.  This is joint tasking between CSD, Business Change and Corporate Comms with a quarterly meeting being held on 5th May, forming out of that will be more formal tasking process for the Department.  

7.  Conferences

A brief discussion was held around the booking procedures for Conferences. 
A revised booking form has been drafted to be able to capture the requirements of the Departments and to keep an audit trail for Admin & Finance.

It was agreed that any good learning coming out of this should be shared.

Action Arising:
SC to liaise with Terry Haith to making sure that the duplication of delegates, for the same conference from the same department, is questioned and highlighted.

8.  Any Other Business

There was no other business discussed

Date of Next Meeting

27 May 09 between 10.00 – 12.00noon - Nunnery Square Conference Room. 

ACTION SCHEDULE – MANAGEMENT TEAM MEETING - 20.05.09

Action DateAction DetailOwner/UpdateAction Status
As at 1 – 04/03/09Lucy Hayward to update the duty sheet with regards to weekly leave calculated on a monthly basis. Lucy Hayward.  Completed/Discharged

 
As at 2 – 04/03/09 RG to check if spinal points on the pay scales stay the same on each band if a successful applicant completes the suitability interview and moves to their new role, which is of their current grade.    Rachel GreenfieldOn Going.

 
As at 3 – 04/03/09SC to review the Victim Support policy and to liaise with CJAD in order to decide who takes over complete ownership, with regards to running reports.Steve Connor. On Going
As at 1 – 20/04/09Any ideas, designs or views from the teams with regards to the office working space to be put forward to SC to enable the consultation process to being.All.NEW

 
As at 2 – 20/04/09  SC to make arrangements for Deborah Stones, Business Change, to give an overview as to how the Risk Assessment Process Works.Steve ConnorNEW. 
As at 3 – 20/04/09  SC to liaise with Terry Haith to making sure that the duplication of delegates, for the same conference from the same department is questioned and highlightedSteve ConnorNEW.

 

Date: 

Monday, 20 April, 2009 - 12:15