Community Safety Department Management Team Meeting - 3 February 2011

CSD MANAGEMENT MEETING - 3 FEBRUARY 2011 - NUNNERY SQUARE CONFERENCE ROOM

Present:
C/I Gwyn Thomas – (GT) (Chair)
Insp Jon Johnson – (JJ)
Insp Phil Shaw – (PS)
Phil White - Performance Manager (PW)
Margaret Lawson – Performance Manager (ML)
Mick Hunter - Project Development Manager (MH)
Stacey Boote  – Marketing (SB)
Daniel Blackwell - Operational Management Accountant (DB)
Terry Haith – Office Manager (TH)
Steve Connor – Business Manager (SC)
Melanie Staples – Project Officer (MS)
Bethany Somerset – Researcher (BS)
Jenny Webb – Minutes (JW)

Apologies:
Supt Eddie Murphy
C/I Paul Varley
Insp Jonathan Brook
Sgt Andy Harbon
Yvonne Duffin
Rachael Greenfield
Anne Cassidy

1. Presentations – Review of CSD Tasking Process

Mel Staples and Bethany Somerset delivered a presentation on the recent consultation work they have completed with CSD staff.  It sets out the rationale for a new meeting structure, which identifies a considerable saving in relation to time and provides a clearer structure for Departmental tasking. 

There will now be a mid month meeting with CSD Managers (Mid Month Accountable Managers Meeting) where new work packages will be identified, discussed and evaluated for action and final decision. 
An end of the month meeting with CSD Managers, Comms, Finance and HR (Month end Accountable Managers Meeting) will be held where tasking will become a standing item on the agenda.

GT thanked Mel & Beth and formally commended their work which has identified a £35,000 saving in time invested into delivering a project than just performance managing and governing a project.

GT proposed to trial the process by putting it into place with immediate effect with the following actions arising:

Actions Arising
1.  JW - All Performance Meetings to be cancelled with immediate effect.
2.  JW - The scheduled CSD Management Meetings are to be cancelled. 
3.  JW - Set the Month end Accountable Managers Meetings ( to include Comms, Finance & HR)
4.  JW - Set the Mid Month Accountable Managers Meetings  (CSD Managers only)
5.  JJ – Definition of a project and daily business before the next month end meeting on the 25.02.11.
6.  Managers – To put forward what you propose should be the decision rationale about whether something becomes a project or becomes just daily business.
 
2.  Nomination for Update Bulletin

Insp Jon Johnson is to provide an update bulletin to staff.

3.  Standing Items

Declaration of Any Other Business

No other business was declared

Minutes of Last Meeting

The minutes of the last meeting held on the 20 December 2010 were agreed.

Action Schedule Update

Please see attached action schedule for updates and new actions.

Business Plan Update

GT thanked ML for putting into the new work theme areas.  It was identified that there has not been any updates for January which feeds into the issue of who updates the Business Plan, when is it updated and duplication in relation to the reports for the Budget Holder Commentary.

GT gave the following directive to Managers:

The Business Plan WILL be updated with the monthly updates by the last working day of the month, Managers are to appoint the person who will update.
The Budget Holder Commentary will be updated from the Business Plan by TH in consultation with SC.
The Gant chart is not wholly reflective of the workloads, GT agreed for the updates be done on a monthly basis after March. 
The updates need to be reflective of the actions.

There was a discussion in relation to the format of the updates submitted onto the Business Plan for use on the Budget Holder Commentary. 

A new process agreed was for TH to take the detail from the Business Plan to write the Budget Holder Commentary, send draft to JJ to proof read and agree before forwarding onto the SCT & Police Authority.

TH requested for the updates for January to be on the Business Plan by the 7th February 2011.

Action arising
7.  TH to put together an aide-memoire and circulate to Managers how the updates need to be written in readiness for updating the Budget Holder Commentary.

Risk Register

SC to arrange Risk Register training for Managers and allocate Department risks to the appropriate person.  This will be a standing agenda item on the Accountable Managers Meeting.

Action arising
8.  SC to arrange Risk Register training for Managers.

Finance Update

DB reported on the figures for December which shows an underspend of £147.000 which was boosted by the transfer from BCD for the Sergeants salary.  It has been agreed that £50,000 can now be transferred out to fund Lifewise Capital Projects, which leaves a total underspend of £100,000.

Business Continuity Plans

TH confirmed that the business continuity plans for CSD are up-to-date.  TH has taken an action to start plans for the new Lifewise building.

Sustainability – Carbon Management: new and existing project list

GT reported that there is a requirement for the organisation to save 6,000 tons of CO2 over the next 5 years which is currently 30% of what the Force uses.  The Carbon Management Report is now being produced and will go the Carbon Management Board on the 7th February for approval. 

4.  Leadership

Citizen Focus

The Citizen Focus Board meets on Monday 7th February, EM will provide an update at the next meeting

Diamond

A Force review is underway.  SC reported that DCC Dyson has asked for volunteers to assist with a ‘Futures Team’, to plan the direction for SYP into 2015 and beyond.  MH has volunteered any more volunteers are to be co-ordinated through GT.

SC ran through the ‘Police Force Efficiency Tool Report’ with the group.  The Force will be informed by an ongoing NPIA study on how prepared we are for change and a HMIC audit is due on 15/16 February.

Action arising
9.   Any volunteers to assist DCC Dyson with a ‘Futures Team’ are to be co-ordinated through GT.
10. SC to circulate the Police Force Efficiency Tool Report to GT.

5.  Policy and Formulation

TH reported on the policies that are up for renewal for February 2011 and require immediate action:

The Referrals to Victim Support.
Partnership Governance Procedural Instructions.

Action arising
11.  JJ to action the renewal of the ‘Referrals to Victim Support’ policy.
12.  PS to action the renewal of the ‘Partnership Governance Procedural Instructions’ policy.

Policies up for renewal in April are:

Police  Community Support Officers Principles of Deployment
PCSO’s within South Yorkshire
Use of Pedal Cycled Patrols with SYP

Action arising
13.  MH to action the renewal of the following policies:

Police  Community Support Officers Principles of Deployment
PCSO’s within South Yorkshire
Use of Pedal Cycled Patrols with SYP

6.  People Management

Staffing Issues

The biggest staffing issue at the moment is the CSD restructure, which is in a period of consultation at this time.  GT reiterated that it is still a proposal and the Command Team are open to any recommendations and any alternative options to achieve the efficiency savings.

There are a number of people in the department who have applied for VER one of which is Phil White who has successfully been accepted and will leave SYP on the 31st March 2011.

SC stated that there was still some places on the Diamond workshops,‘Dealing with Uncertainty & Change’.

Personal Development Reviews

The following PDR’s are due for completing for February:

Jenny Webb
Jon Johnson
Richard Nakielny

Weekly Leave

Nothing to report

Personal Safety Training

All compliant

Health & Safety

TH reported that the electrics on the ground floor are due to be completed on the weekend of the 5th /6th February.

There will be implications to be aware of due to additional staff relocating onto the first floor and the ground floor from 04.02.11.

NCALT

There were 4 members of staff identified to complete the Fire Safety Module with immediate effect.  Any Special Constables are to be captured by Steve Merrett.

There are 6 staff who are coming up to complete the Fire Safety Module for February.

There are 4 staff who have not completed the ‘Safe Guarding Children’ module.

CSD are 100% recorded on the Diversity training module.

Action arising
14.  All Managers are to ensure that all staff have completed any outstanding mandatory NCALT courses by the next meeting on the 25.02.11.

7.  Partnerships & Resources

PS is to attend a meeting regarding ‘Value for Money’ where areas are going to be looked at, update at the next meeting.

8.  Force Performance

PS provided a quick overview of the current Force Performance figures:

Overall crime down by 10% (9579 fewer crimes).
Serious, violent and acquisitive crime all show decreasing numbers.
Vehicle crime down by 16%
Burglaries overall down by 5.5%
Criminal damage overall down by 17.8%
The only significant increases are in rape and sexual offences

The Force’s Confidence & Satisfaction rating has slipped, however indicators show that we are still on course to achieve an impressive range of targets.

9.  Lifewise Issues

ML updated the group:  The new building at Hellaby is going through the legal process to sort out the new contract at the moment  with a potential date of 1st March 2011/ 1st April hoped for to be able to access the building. A contingency plan is being explored in case of a ‘lock out’ situation at the Magna site.

10.  Current Future Projects

GT & JJ have reviewed the workload of the Project Officers at Lifewise, JJ will action out.

In terms of new projects GT requested that any new work coming into the department is to be presented at the Month end Accountable Management Meeting after going through the new tasking process.

11.  PUAC Update

Anand Birju is now working for PUAC 3 days a week on licensing projects.

12.  Marketing Update

SB gave a brief update:

The CSD Department Intranet site has now been updated, any changes are to be sent to SB.
Information has been sent to DLO’s in relation to SNT sites.
Options are being explored for a new website for the new Lifewise Center in conjunction with the Fire Service.

SB is to be involved with the Lifewise Team to provide a monthly bulletin on the planning of the ‘move’ to the new building.

13.  Billboard

The March edition will run a feature on Volunteers and NHW.

14.   Good News Stories

The Good News Stories recognised this month were:

Lisa Porter – ‘Inspiring Kendary’ Project
Mel Staples & Beth Somerset – ‘CSD Tasking Process’
Dan Blackwell – Awareness Training with the RPG
Terry Haith & the Admin Team – Integrating with Lifewise Staff
NHW – good results for two members at Sprotborough who detained a youth in a van stolen from a commercial burglary.

Project of the Month – Double Congratulations this month go to:

**  Lisa Porter – ‘Inspiring Kendary’ Project **
**  Mel Staples & Beth Somerset – ‘CSD Tasking Process’

Well done to all the above for their contribution to supporting the
Community Safety Department.

To close the meeting the Management team would like to recognise and thank all staff for continuing to carry out good work and support the Department during the uncertain period that is currently underway in relation to the proposed restructure.

16.  Date of Next Meeting

Friday 25th February, 10.00am - Conference Room, Nunnery Square

 

 

Action DateActionUpdateOwner
Action 1 – 20.12.10GT to find out how the video conferencing system, that has recently been installed in the  Gywn Thomas conference room can be used to make cost savings for the department. 03.02.11 – Diamond are currently looking into this and have requested for a volunteer that. Managers could assist.  Managers to ask CSD staff if anyone would like to volunteer to take   Steve Connor on this piece of work on behalf of ‘Diamond’. SC to clarify if this has already been tasked in ISD.  
Action 1 – 03.02.11All Performance Meetings to be cancelled with immediate effect. Jenny Webb
Action 2 – 03.02.11The scheduled CSD Management Meetings are to be cancelled.   Jenny Webb
Action 3 – 03.02.11 Set the Month end Accountable Managers Meetings (to include Comms,Jenny Webb Finance & HR).    
Action 4 – 03.02.11Set the Month end Accountable Managers Meetings (CSD Managers only).   Jenny Webb
Action 5 – 03.02.11 Definition of a project and daily business before the next month end meeting on   Jon Johnson the 25.02.11.  
Action 6 – 03.02.11 To put forward what you propose should be the decision rationale about whether  Managers something becomes a project or becomes just daily business.  
Action 7 – 03.02.11TH to put together an aide-memoire and circulate to Managers how the updates need   Terry Haith to be written in readiness for updating the Budget Holder Commentary.  
Action 8 – 03.02.11SC to arrange Risk Register training for Managers. Steve Connor
Action 9 – 03.02.11Any volunteers to assist DCC Dyson with a ‘Futures Team’ are to be co-ordinated   Managers through GT.  
Action 10 – 03.02.11SC to circulate the ‘Police Force Efficiency Tool Report’ to GT.   Steve Connor
Action 11 - 03.02.11JJ to action the renewal of the ‘Referrals to Victim Support’ policy.  Jon Johnson
Action 12 – 03.02.11 PS to action the renewal of the ‘Partnership Governance Procedural Instructions’ policy. Phil Shaw
Action 13 – 03.02.11MH to link in with YD to action the renewal of the following policies for April:  Mick Hunter /Yvonne Duffin
 Police  Community Support Officers Principles of Deployment
PCSO’s within South Yorkshire
Use of Pedal Cycled Patrols with SYP
  
Action 14 – 03.02.11All Managers are to ensure that all staff have completed any outstanding mandatory   Managers NCALT courses by the next meeting on the 25.02.11.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Date: 

Thursday, 3 February, 2011 - 11:45