Community Safety Department Management Team Meeting - 6 January 2010

CSD MANAGEMENT MEETING - 6 JANUARY 2010, 2.00pm - NUNNERY SQUARE CONFERENCE ROOM

Present:
Supt Mick Webster - Supt (MW) 
Phil White - Performance Manager (PW)
Mick Hunter – Project Development Manager (MH)
Yvonne Duffin - Project Development Manager (YD)
Terry Haith – Office Manager CSD (TH)
Louisa Bennett – Lifewise Manager (LB)
Jenny Webb – Minutes

Apologies:
C I Paul Varley
C I Iain Chorlton
Insp Jon Johnson
Steven Connor
Rachel Greenfield
Evans Chisala
Margaret Lawson
Anne Cassidy
Julie Kyte

1.  Presentation on Management of Risk (MH)

2.  Presentation on Regional Economy (EC)

3.  Presentation / Update on CSD Internal Audit (SC)

All of the above presentations will be rolled over to the next meeting.

4.  Standing Items

Declaration of Any Other Business

No other business was declared. 

Minutes of Last Meeting

The minutes of the last meeting held on the 5th November 09 were agreed. 

Action Schedule Update

Please see attached action schedule for new actions.

Business Plan Update

TH reported that there is a basic training day running at the beginning of February, TH has circulated to the team leaders for information.

Carry Forward – Underspend

There were no issues declared

CSD/ISD Accommodation Plans

No update

Risk Register

No update. 

Finance Update

TH reported that the funding for the Community Mapping Project has been approved.

Diversity Update

MW is to attend the Diversity Meeting where the new Force Diversity Plan will be up for debate. MW to update following this meeting.

5.  Leadership

Leaders in Action
 
No update.  

Citizen Focus

No update

6.  Policy and Formulation

Policy Review Process

A discussion took place in regard to the processes around Policy Reviews.  TH & MW to look through all policies for CSD and decide who owns the policy.

TH has set up a basic process which has been placed on the ‘O Drive’ under Policy Review Procedures with all guidelines and the relevant forms. The policies have to be reviewed in a timely manner, TH to implement a chaser system.

7.  People Management

Staffing Issues

No issues were discussed. 

Personal Development Reviews

TH confirmed the latest stats from HQ.   

Weekly Leave

Sarah Kane, CSD Admin has been tasked with collating this information.

Personal Safety Training Compliant

Health & Safety

A discussion took place in regards to Health & Safety for the building.

Action arising:

1.  TH to set up a quarterly Health & Safety Meeting for the Nunnery Square Building and circulate the names of the representatives for each floor to all staff.

8.  Partnerships & Resources

No update was given. 

9.  Audit Plan

TH reported that from the Audit Plan carried out in Aug / Sept the report concluded that the Department is not at risk from any significant weaknesses.  However there were some weaknesses identified in the expected control, therefore 12 recommendations have been put in place to be completed by December 09.

TH reported that work has started with regards to the recommendations and confirmed the following:

There are 4 Completed Actions:

R4 – Random checks on controlled stationery have now been introduced and checks will now be undertaken on a quarterly basis.
R8 – New password protected template for the recording of flexi time has been circulated to all staff to ensure accuracy of completion.
R10 – Procedure in place to send monthly reminders to all staff re police on Gifts & Gratuities.
R12 – Refers to mobile phone charging policy.  Anne Cassidy has confirmed that ISD financial procedures in relation to this issue have now been embedded into CSD.

Directives
There are 5 directives relevant to Management & Supervisors which will be sent out via email.

Work in progress
R11 – Direction and Control Complaints procedure,

A discussion took place in regards to Flexi sheets and the claiming of staff mileage and it was agreed to align all flexi sheets for all staff and for a list of destinations with the shortage mileage to be circulated along with an email to team leaders regarding the 5 directives.

Action arising:
2.  TH to align all staff flexi sheets.
3.  TH to circulate the 5 directives arising from the Audit Report, via email, to Management & Supervisors and to circulate a list of destinations with the shortage mileage.

10.  GEN 14 – Policing White Paper (IC)

This agenda item is deferred to the next meeting

11.  Equality Strands for the Police Service (MH)

It was agreed to keep this on the agenda for future meetings.

12.  A.O.B

No other business was discussed

13.  Date of Next Meeting

25 February 2010, 2 – 4pm-Nunnery Square Conference Room. 

Action DateOwnerActionUpdate
Action 2 – 20.04.09 Steve Connor SC to arrange for Deborah Stones, Business Change, to give an overview as to how the Risk Assessment Process works. 
08.07.09 SC to arrange for Deborah Stones to attend the next meeting – ONGOING See minutes for further updates and new actions. 18.08.09 – SC was not present to give an update.  ONGOING. SC to send information to all relevant staff of what the Risk Register is all about and what should or should not be entered onto it. 05.11.09 – Ongoing. 06.01.10 -  DISCHARGED - This action has been merged with Action 3 – 08.07.09 – SEE NEW ACTION 4 18.08.09 – This action has been deferred.DEFERRED
Action 3 – 08.07.09Mick Hunter 22.09.09 – This action passed to Mick Hunter to liaise with John Dix & Deborah Stones and update at next meeting. 05.11.09 – This is to be presented to the Chief Constable on 17 November 2009, and then to provide update at next meeting.  06.01.10 – DISCHARGED - This action has been merged with Action 2 – 20.01.09 – SEE NEW ACTION 4 
Action 6 – 08.07.09 Iain ChorltonIC to arrange for Katy Beal, Researcher, to provide an up date on ‘Leaders In Action the week prior to the Management Meeting. 
18.08.09 YD confirmed Katie Beal is in touch with ‘Leaders in Action’ and will update the group when they receive any information.  ONGOING 22.09.09 – DEFERRED due to Iain Chorlton not being present. 05.11.09 – To be placed on agenda at next meeting.06.01.10 – On going
Action 7 – 08.07.09Iain ChorltonIC to provide an update from CI Eddie Murphy on Citizen Focus the week prior to the Management Meeting. 18.08.09 – On hold.  DEFERRED.  22.09.09 - DEFERRED due to Iain Chorlton not being present. 05.11.09 – To be placed on agenda at next meeting.06.01.10 – On going
Action 1 – 22.09.09  Managers - Re accommodation plans - Managers to consult with their staff and send any additional suggestions/plans to SC asap.  05.11.09 – To be discussed as on agenda.   6.01.10 – Deadline date passed –DISCHARGED.
Action 2 – 22.09.09 Mick Hunter e-library – Mick Hunter to explore possibilities and report back to the next meeting. 05.11.09 – Deferred. 6.01.10 – Explored, no possibilities available – MW to provide password for the use of the ACPO e-library -DISCHARGED.
Action 1 – 05.11.09 Joanne Rimmer Joanne Rimmer to give a presentation on ISAC6 at the next meeting.  6.01.10 – No requirementDISCHARGED
Action 2 – 05.11.09Steve ConnorSC to give update/ presentation on CSD Internal Audit at the next meeting. 6.01.10 – Updated in the main agenda

DISCHARGED.

Action 3 – 05.11.09Mick Webster MW to circulate APA Report to CSD Management Team.  6.01.10 – CompletedDISCHARGED.
Action 4 – 05.11.09Steve Connor SC to invite staff to feedback issues of concern in relation to the proposed staffing plans and then consult all when a decision has been made.  This will then be brought to  the CSD Command Team Meeting. 6.01.10 – CompletedDISCHARGED.
Action 1 – 06.01.10  Terry Haith TH to set up a quarterly Health & Safety Meeting for the Nunnery Square Building and circulate the names of the representatives for each floor to all staff. 
Action 2 – 06.01.10 Terry Haith TH to align all staff flexi sheets. 
Action 3 – 06.01.10  Terry Haith TH to circulate the 5 directives arising from the Audit Report, via email, to Management & Supervisors and to circulate a list of destinations with the shortage mileage. 
Action 4 – 06.01.10Mick Hunter This action refers to Action refers to Action 2 – 20.04.09 & Action 3 – 8.07.09 MH  to liaise with John Dix & Deborah Stones and update at next meeting with an overview as to how the Risk Assessment Process works. 

 

 

 

 

Date: 

Wednesday, 6 January, 2010 - 12:00