Community Safety Department Management Team Meeting - 8 July 2009

CSD MANAGEMENT MEETING -  8 July 2009 AT 10.00 AM - NUNNERY SQUARE CONFERENCE ROOM

Present:
Superintendent Mick Webster - Chair  (MW)
Chief Inspector Paul Varley  (PV)
Chief Inspector Iain Chorlton (IC)
Insp Gwyn Thomas – SCEU – (GT)
Steven Connor - Business Manager (SC)
Evans Chisala - Operational Management Accountant (EC).
Margaret Lawson – Performance Manager, SCEU (ML)
Mick Hunter – Project Development Manager (MH)
Yvonne Duffin - Project Development Manager (YD)
Sharon Storey – Lifewise Centre (SS) – (attending on behalf of Louisa Bennett)
Jenny Webb – Secretarial/ Admin Assistant (JW) (minutes)

Apologies:
Insp Stuart Edwards – SCPU
Phil White - Performance Manager, SCPU
Rachel Greenfield – Personnel Manager
Louisa Bennett – Lifewise Centre Manager

1.  Standing Items

Declaration of Any Other Business

No declarations.

Minutes of Last Meeting

The minutes of the last meeting held on 20 April 09 were proved as both a true and accurate record. 

Action Schedule Update

Please see attached action schedule for new actions.

Action 1 (20.04.09) – update

MW confirmed that the office previously used by Denise Barker is to become a private meeting room for the use of all staff.

It was agreed by MW that SC would bring the accommodation plans for CSD/ISD to the future Management Meetings and for this to become a standing item on the agenda.

A discussion took place around relocating the vending machines currently located in CSD and the issues of having to pass through the Command Team Office space.

Action arising

1.  SC to send out an e-mail to CSD staff to obtain feedback on whether there is sufficient demand for the vending machines.

2.  SC to communicate with CJAD and ISD to obtain a decision as to whether the vending machines can be relocated to another floor or can be removed.  A deadline of 28 days to reply has been set.

Action 2 (20.04.09) – update

It was agreed by all that the idea put forward by GT to have a 30-minute training presentation, before every Management Meeting, on the various aspects of work carried out in CSD would be beneficial. 

Business Plan Update

SC gave a brief update and confirmed that ISD have now moved the Business Plan onto a different server, which can now be populated.  There are links in place with a ‘read only’ for everyone to view.

SC asked for the updates that are submitted is kept to one paragraph of information on the projects carried out in CSD.

Risk Register

SC confirmed that the Risk Register is now up to date and is due for review at the next Command Team Meeting.  IC has set up a monthly CSD Tasking Meeting where all the projects submitted are scored on a ‘CSD 1’ form.

It was agreed to send all ‘CSD 1’ forms that are scored at the CSD Tasking Meeting for any projects submitted to SC for assessment before feeding onto the Risk Register.

Action arising:
3.  SC to send information to all relevant staff of what the Risk Register is all about and what should or should not be entered onto it.

Finance Update

EC gave a brief update on the Finance budget and confirmed that the reports for June are being finalised and there is an underspend of £74,000.  The carry forward of £144.000 has now been approved by the Police Authority.

EC urged for any spending plans to be submitted as soon as possible.

Action arising:
4.  To keep the ‘carry forward’ as an agenda item for future Management Meetings until the underspend has been spent

SC gave a brief update on the CSD/ISD Admin & Finance Brigading.  The Brigading of Finance has been brought forward with Anne Cassidy now the Finance Officer for CSD & ISD.  Lisa Porter, the temporary Finance Assistant will move to ISD on Monday 20 July to carry out the remainder of CSD’s financial procedures.

ML asked for budget codes to be forwarded onto the Budget Managers.

Action arising:
5.  SC to forward budget codes and the location of the budget spreadsheet to all the Budget Managers within 7 days

Diversity Update

MW is to attend the Diversity Board on Friday 17 July.

IC raised the issue of the lack of diverse applications coming through and a discussion took place around this subject.

2.  Leadership

Leaders in Action

There was a discussion around Team Building.  MW confirmed that he was committed to the principle and when all the plans are in place with the Department he will raise the subject again and welcome any contributions put forward.

It was agreed that a formal link is needed in regards to Leaders in Action and what the Force requires.

Action arising:

6. IC to arrange for Katy Beal, Researcher, to provide an up date on ‘Leaders In Action the week prior to the Management Meeting.

Citizen Focus

Action arising:
7.  IC to provide an update from CI Eddie Murphy on Citizen Focus the week prior to the Management Meeting.

3.  Policy and Formulation

There was a brief discussion around the ownership of the Victim Support Policy.

Action arising:
8.  MW to determine where the Victim Support Policy goes.

A discussion took place around the migration plans of the roles under the new restructure and the concerns raised with members of staff starting their new role before receiving any letter of confirmation from Personnel.

Action arising:

9.  JW to send an email on behalf of MW to Rachael Greenfield, Personnel Manager for clarification and comment on the matter of staff with a migration plan starting their new role before receiving any letter of confirmation from Personnel.

A discussion took place around the Policies and who will take the lead on reviewing them.  It was agreed to send all chasers received from BCD to MW when any Policies are due to be reviewed.

4.  People Management

Staffing Issues

SS confirmed that Heather Brown is due to go on maternity leave in October. 

MW agreed to a Temporary Member of staff to be put in place as soon as the plans are submitted by Louisa Bennett, Lifewise Manager.

Laura Woodcock is now in post as the Strategic Analyst.

Diane Collins is now in post as the Band B Admin Assistant within the SCE Unit.

Personal Development Reviews

No update given

Weekly Leave

No update given

Personal Safety Training

All compliant at this moment in time

Health and Safety

A discussion took place around the Health & Safety Policy for the building. 

SC aired his concerns about Policy Procedures not being kept up to date by CJAD so   has arranged a meeting between CSD / CJAD / ISD to address any issues on Health and Safety for the building.

SC has received the Fire Safety Report which is available for anyone to view.

5.  Partnerships & Resources

No update given

6.  CSD Restructure Update

IC confirmed that monthly meetings are now in place

7.  Collaborative Working

IC confirmed that Monthly Collaborative Alignment Meetings are now in place to discuss any work coming into CSD.
  
8.  SDG Chair

SS gave an update in Phil White’s absence from the issues raised at the SDG Meeting held on 07.07.09.

SS put a request forward for a picnic bench to be purchased for Lifewise  - MW approved this request.

A discussion took place around the request for the Custodian’s area on front reception to be enclosed.

Action arising:
10.  SC to look at the enclosure of the Custodian’s area on front reception and report back at the next Management Meeting.

9.  Nigel Hiller’s Email

A discussion took place around an e-mail sent by Nigel Hiller and his concerns around the maintenance of the Lotus Notes and the management of calendars and diaries.

It was agreed that a brief presentation on the correct management of Lotus Notes by the Lotus Notes Administrator would be beneficial.

Action arising:
11.  Wendy Abbott , Lotus Notes Administrator to give a brief presentation on the correct use of Lotus Notes prior to the next Management Meeting.

SC raised the subject of all fax machines are now to be removed from the Department on instruction from Nigel Hiller.  Concerns were raised by ML and the issues this would cause with work they carry out in the SCE Unit.

Action arising:
12.  SC to confirm with Nigel Hiller that all fax machines are to be removed.

10.  Policy Review TV

IC is looking into the possibility of purchasing 5 licences to subscribe to Policy Review TV.  This will be a more cost effective way of obtaining information from Conferences without attending, this will also save on travel and accommodation costs.  MW gave his approval for IC to go ahead.

11. SCT Papers – New format and presentation

There is a slightly new format with the SCT Papers, the only change being the name of the paper from ‘Decision Paper’ to ‘Discussion Paper’ everything else seems to be identical.

SC stressed that the papers should not be sent directly to anyone in SCT, they should be sent to SC & EC.

12. Purchase of Mobile Screen

No discussion took place

13.  Reception Waiting Area

See action for SC to research

14.  A.O.B

Lifewise bench

Approved

Contact Management Project – CSD Involvement

A discussion took place in regards to the Contact Management Project managed by Supt Rob Odell in Comms and CSD’s involvement.  This subject was discussed, considered and agreed no action is to be taken at this moment due to staffing levels.

NCALT Training

Two mandatory NCALT training modules in relation to MOPI and the Information Compliance to MOPI are to be completed by all staff on the instruction of
DDC Dyson.  MW gave the instruction to Managers that all staff are to complete this training within 28 days.

15.  Date of Next Meeting

18 August 09 between 10.00 – 12.00noon - Nunnery Square Conference Room. 

ACTION SCHEDULE – MANAGEMENT TEAM MEETING – 08.07.09

Action DateOwnerActionUpdate
Action 2 – 04.03.09 RachaelRG to check if spinal points on the pay scales stay the same on each band if a successful applicant completes the suitability interview Greenfield and moves to their new role, which is of their current grade. 08.07.09 – Reply sent by RG for clarification – If a member of staff is successful in interview for a job on the same grade they are currently on then they would remain on the same point within the gradeDISCHARGED  
Action 3 – 04.03.09 Steve ConnorSC to review the Victim Support policy and to liaise with CJAD in order to decide who takes over complete ownership, with regards to.  Mick Webster running reports. 08.07.09 – This action passed to MW to report back at next meeting ONGOING
Action 1 – 20.04.09  All  Any ideas, designs or views from the teams with regards to the office working space to be put forward to SC to enable the consultation process to begin. 08.07.09 – Draft plans have been drawn up and passed to Martin Roberts in Facilities Management – SC to chase – ONGOING See minutes for further updates and new actions 
Action 2 – 20.04.09 Steve Connor SC to arrange for Deborah Stones, Business Change, to give an overview as to how the Risk Assessment Process works. 08.07.09 – SC to arrange for Deborah Stones to attend the next meeting – ONGOING See minutes for further updates and new actions. 
Action 3 – 20.04.09Steve Connor SC to liaise with Terry Haith to making sure that the duplication of delegates, for the same conference from the same department, is questioned and highlighted. 08.07.09 – CompletedDISCHARGED
Action 1 - 08.07.09 Steve Connor SC to send out an e-mail to CSD staff to obtain feedback on whether there is sufficient demand for the vending machines. 
Action 2 – 08.07.09Steve ConnorSC to communicate with CJAD and ISD to obtain a decision as to whether the vending machines can be relocated to another floor or can be removed.  A deadline of 28 days to reply has been set. 
Action 3 – 08.07.09Steve Connor SC to send information to all relevant staff of what the Risk Register is all about and what should or should not be entered onto it. 
Action 4 – 08.07.09  Agenda Item To keep the ‘carry forward’ as an agenda item for future Management Meetings until the underspend has been spent 
Action 5 – 08.07.09Steve Connor SC to forward budget codes and the location of the budget spreadsheet to all the Budget Managers within 7 days 
Action 6 – 08.07.09 Iain Chorlton IC to arrange for Katy Beal, Researcher, to provide an up date on ‘Leaders In Action the week prior to the Management Meeting. 
Action 7 – 08.07.09 Iain Chorlton  IC to provide an update from CI Eddie Murphy on Citizen Focus the week prior to the Management Meeting. 
Action 8 – 08.07.09 Mick Webster MW to determine where the Victim Support Policy goes. 
Action 9 – 08.07.09 Jenny Webb JW to send an email on behalf of MW to Rachael Greenfield, Personnel Manager for clarification and comment on the matter of staff with a migration plan starting their new role before receiving any letter of confirmation from Personnel. 
Action 10 – 08.07.09Steve Connor SC to look at the enclosure of the Custodian’s area on front reception and report back at the next Management Meeting. 
Action 11 – 08.07.09 Wendy Abbott Wendy Abbott , Lotus Notes Administrator to give a brief presentation on the correct use of Lotus Notes prior to the next Management Meeting. 
Action 12 – 08.07.09 Steve Connor  SC to confirm with Nigel Hiller that all fax machines are to be removed 

 

 

 

 

Date: 

Wednesday, 8 July, 2009 - 12:00