Equality and Diversity
The Diversity Unit leads on the strategic management of equality, diversity and human rights for South Yorkshire Police. Its range of focus takes in the service provided to the public as well as the organisation’s relationship with its workforce.
Core areas of activity for the Diversity Unit include:
- Developing and driving the SYP Diversity Action Plan and objectives
- Gathering, analysis, monitoring and publication of SYP diversity performance data 2010/2011 and SYP diversity performance data 2011/2012.
- Consultation with, and representation of, senior SYP management upon issues of high diversity impact. Recent examples include representation of SYP with the Equality and Human Rights Commission’s inquiry into Disability-Related Harassment.
- Helping to fulfil the community engagement commitment of both the force and the police authority with different sections of the South Yorkshire public
- Oversight, management and administration of the force’s range of workforce relations schemes, including the Fairness at Work Scheme, First Contact Advisors, Mediators and Positive Action Mentors
- Quality Assurance of statutory organisational responsibilities including the public sector equality duty and Equality Analysis
- The continuing professional development of a broad range of SYP roles in awareness and understanding of equality, diversity and human rights responsibilities