• The protection of life and property
• The maintenance of order
• The prevention and detection of crime
• The prosecution of offenders against the peace.
Our officers and staff follow the FIRST principles:
- Fairness - our job is to be fair and impartial at all times.
- Integrity - our morals and ethics must always be beyond question.
- Respect - for each other and members of the public we serve.
- Standards - following the highest standards of procedure and practice.
- Trust - earning this, from everyone, is our ultimate goal.
South Yorkshire Police also adhere to the Code of Ethics.
The Code of Ethics is a national code of practice, which defines the standards of behaviour for everyone who works in policing. It includes nine policing principles and ten standards of professional behaviour.
The policing principles are accountability, fairness, honesty, integrity, leadership, objectivity, openness, respect and selflessness.
The standards of professional behaviour are:
- Honesty and integrity
- Authority, respect and courtesy
- Equality and diversity
- Use of force
- Orders and instructions
- Duties and responsibilities
- Fitness for work
- Challenging and reporting improper behaviour
To download the Code of Ethics, click here