City centre bar to reopen

Update issued 18 Janaury 2018
 
A city centre bar is free to reopen after a number of temporary conditions were placed on its license, in line with recommendations made to the Licensing Committee at Sheffield City Council by South Yorkshire Police.
 
Discussions between the police, partners and the licensee, have resulted in the bar adopting a number of recommendations to improve security. These include:
 
- An increase in security staff
- More robust search procedures
- The adoption of body mounted cameras by security staff 
- A requirement to use plastic or polycarbonate glasses and containers
 
Magistrates issued the Crystal Bar, on Carver Street in the city centre, with a closure notice on Monday 1 January, and the notice has remained in place until 16 January 2018. 
 
The performance of the interim measures are set be reviewed by the Licensing Committee on 1 February 2018
 
 
 
 
Update issued 10 January 2018
 
A city centre bar is to remain closed for a further seven days after a court hearing was adjourned yesterday (Tuesday 9 January). 
 
Crystal Bar, on Carver Street in the city centre, was issued with a closure notice on Monday 1 January, which remained in force following a hearing at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court last week (Tuesday 2 January).
 
The hearing yesterday was adjourned for a further seven days to allow for more discussions between police, partners and the licensee, with a view to agreeing conditions or changes in practice that would improve public safety.
 
Sheffield Superintendent Paul McCurry said: “We continue our investigation into the disturbance at House of Hugo (on the third floor of Crystal Bar) on New Year’s Day, where six people were injured. 
 
“The hearing has been adjourned to allow some important conversations to continue to take place between police, the licensed premises and other agencies so we can ensure the public’s safety. The existing closure notice will remain in place until the next hearing.” 
 
The matter will be heard again at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday 16 January. 
 

 

Issued 2 January 2018 

Following an incident at a New Year’s Eve event in a Sheffield bar which left two men seriously injured, a seven-day closure order has been granted at Sheffield Magistrates’ court this afternoon.

At around 2.30am yesterday (Monday 1 January) officers were called to a disturbance at House of Hugo, on the third floor of the Crystal Bar on Carver Street.

It was reported that a total of six men from the Birmingham area, who were attending an event within House of Hugo, suffered stab and slash wounds as a result of an altercation, believed to have taken place at the top of a flight of stairs.

Two of the men, a 22-year-old and a 20-year-old, were taken to hospital where they remain in a serious but stable condition. The other men received minor injuries. No arrests have been made and as yet there are no descriptions of the attackers.

Officers are continuing to investigate the incident, and DC Kate Naughton leading the investigation has said: “We are still in the early stages of the investigation and are working to establish the exact circumstances.

“It is not clear at this time what type of weapon caused the men’s injuries. There is a possibility that broken glass was used, however we cannot rule out the potential use of a bladed article.

“We are not aware of any other linked incidents on the night and this is being treated very much as an isolated disturbance.

“We know that this was a pre-booked event but tickets were also available on the door – did you see what happened? Were you at the event in the club? If so I would urge you to please come forward.”

A 24-hour closure notice was issued by police yesterday.

Following the order made today, Sheffield Chief Superintendent Shaun Morley said: “The seven-day closure will allow us to consider what stringent measures need to be put in place to avoid mindless acts of violence which we will absolutely not tolerate.

“These measures will include working with door staff, looking at search policies, looking at the options around glasses and bottles and reviewing opening times.

“We will be looking into the possibility of further section 60 orders and I can reassure members of the public that we will be carrying out a review with all licences premises to put in place measures to prevent the use of bladed articles.

“Apart from the work with our partners, people will see an increase in proactive policing operations in the city centre where we will be employing such measures as knife arches and increased use of stop and search powers to effectively ensure Sheffield remains a very safe place for people to enjoy the night time economy.”

Officers are reviewing CCTV but we would encourage anyone who was in the bar that night or saw the incident unfold to contact 101 quoting incident 4 of 1 January 2018.

Alternatively contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.