Barnsley District Command Team

In Attendance:  

Chief Superintendent Andy Brooke (Chair)
CI Andy Hodgkinson, Response
CI Debbie Mahmood, Safer Neighbourhoods
T/DCI Steve Handley, Crime Manager
Mary Verity, Business Manager
A/PS Rob Jenkins, Staff Officer

Apologies:  

Superintendent Liz Watson, Operations
Rachael Greenfield, HR Operational Partner
Lisa Ingham, Finance Officer
Phil Swain, Operational Management Accountant

Copy to:  

T/Chief Inspector Simon Wanless, Safer Neighbourhoods
Rachel Lilley, Barnsley District Liaison Officer


1. APOLOGIES

1.1 As above.


2. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING & MATTERS ARISING

2.1 The minutes of the last meeting dated 7 January 2014 were agreed as an accurate record.


3. ACTIONS FROM LAST MEETING

3.1 Enquiry Desk Post.  Chief Supt. Brooke to liaise with Chief Supt. Tweed and CI Kent in respect of establishing a CCTV Evidence Review post.  Discharged to Business Plan meeting. 

3.2 Support Inspector Post.  Discussion taken place but Force decision awaited regarding Boards prior to the future of the Inspector Support post being progressed.  A decision has been made to dis-establish the Support Inspector’s post.  Discharged to Business Plan meeting.

3.3 Defibrillators.  Chief Supt. Brooke to contact James Hannabuss, author of the business case, in respect of a possible corporate approach to defibrillator issues.  Contact has been made with James Hannabuss.  Feedback is awaited.  Discharged.

3.4 Closed.

3.5 Tutor Constable Remuneration.  Supt. Watson to liaise with PS Scholey in respect of addressing the current Specials demand on Tutors/Assessors in achieving the Safe and Lawful status.  Inspector Batty, Federation, is progressing this.  Discharged. 

 Inspector Batty to consider raising remuneration at the next JNCC meeting.  As above.  Discharged.

3.6 Closed. 

3.7 Ring Farm/Cudworth Police Station.  Chief Supt. Brooke to liaise with Steve Houghton regarding the possible merger.  Discharged to Business Plan meeting.


4. LOCAL CRIME & PCC POLICING PLAN

4.1 Summary of Year to Date Performance re. PCC Targets

All crime is currently down by 4.9% (593 offences). 

ASB is down by 8%.

Burglary dwelling has reduced by 4.1% (30 offences). 

Vehicle crime has reduced by 1.7%.

Criminal damage has seen a 17.8% reduction (413 offences).

There has been a significant reduction in violence with injury.

Hate crime is up by 5% (4 offences). 

The positive outcome rate is 31.7%, the best in the Force.

Closed.   

Analytical work will be requested in terms of the main SAC areas, as there has been a 45.7% increase in burglary dwellings in Royston SNT.  Athersley, in particular, has been affected. 

Closed

4.2 Forthcoming Events/Operations

An Evening Economy Forum has been established to look at events for the Tour De France and World Cup. 

Closed. 


5. PROTECTION FROM SERIOUS HARM

5.1 Major Crime Investigations

No items. 
 

6. DISTRICT MANAGEMENT/VALUE FOR MONEY

6.1 Update from Key Force Meetings

District Commanders.  Sergeants’ moves will be discussed at the meeting on 23 January 2014.  A more formal debate will take place at the Policing Board on 28 January.

ASB Working Group.  The group is currently devising a process to deal with the impact of the new ASB and Crime Policing bill, which will be introduced in the autumn and not April as originally circulated.  Members have been asked to produce a process map to take to a meeting on 31 January 2014 in terms of how the community triggers a particular element.  From a District perspective, CI Mahmood has tasked an officer with producing a paper on what the changes might be for District.  Training will be cascaded in due course. 

User Satisfaction.  A new performance portal will be introduced late 2014/early 2015.  This will mean that instead of comparing current performance with data for the same period in the previous year, comparisons will be done around per 1,000 population of MSG.  Signals from Noise software will be used to identify areas of crime that require attention (community trigger).

From 17 February 2014, Doncaster will pilot TrackMyCrime.  The anticipated roll-out date for all other Districts is 1 April 2014.  Once registered to TrackMyCrime, as soon as their crime is updated, victims will receive an online update directly from the investigating officer.  Cascade training will be rolled out to officers in respect of this but in the interim, it is suggested that a card be placed on all computers to act as a reminder to officers when updating actions on CMS crime reports that they should include action taken even if property has not been recovered or a crime resolved.

6.2 OMA Financial Commentary

The District is looking at a slight underspend.  This will be discussed in more detail at the Business Plan meeting.

6.3 Closed.

6.4 Business Plan

Business Plan Projects.  All Business Plan projects that had action plans attached, eg. Burglary and Criminal Damage, have been reviewed and will be closed in due course.

6.5 Human Resource Issues

Closed.

Personnel & Welfare Issues.  Discussed.

6.6 Performance Visit Action Schedule

No items. 

6.7 Audit Reports

 No items.

6.8 Future of Retail Crime Unit

A high visibility, pro-active Retail Crime Unit was established at District, comprising 2 PCs and 3 PCSOs, to tackle prolific offenders and reduce offences of retail crime, given challenges in performance in those areas.  The unit has been successful and, whilst the PCSOs have recently returned to their respective SNAs, a decision is required as to whether there is a need to continue with the unit or suspend it with a view to reinstating it on the lead up to Christmas 2014 or if there is a rise in trend.  Following a discussion around the unit’s achievements and the reductions in volume crime and SAC crime, CI Hodgkinson suggested that the unit should continue with a further debate in due course regarding its future.  Action:  Command Team to meet in February to discuss the future shape of the District’s pro active capability, incorporating the Tasking Team, VCT, Crime Scene Investigators, Retail Crime and the Cocooning Team.      

6.9 Review of Xmas Op Blueprint 2013

Christmas Op Blueprint 2013 achieved some good results.  The operation will be discussed at the Inspectors meeting on 23 January to determine which parts of the operation were successful.  PS Norton has also been asked to evaluate violent crime, including SAC crime, for last year and compare that to this year.  Action:  CI Hodgkinson to feed back findings to the next Command Team meeting.  An operation for Christmas 2014 will then be discussed in terms of leadership, staffing and partners. 

6.10 Sustaining Performance

Action:  Command Team members to look at the current structure and establishment within their portfolio areas and determine what they can do to potentially reshape or reconfigure.

6.11 Overtime Reduction 

DCC Holt has advised of a 20% reduction in overtime in 2014/15.  Command Team members were asked to look at their overtime spend and the affect a cut in overtime would mean for them.

6.12 Closed.


6.13 Tour De France Leave 

Given the demands the Force will face during the Tour De France, a robust stance will be taken in respect of leave for that period.  All leave requests at District must be submitted for authorisation via Chief Superintendent Brooke.

In terms of the World Cup, CI Hodgkinson and PS Norton will lead.


7. ANY OTHER BUSINESS

7.1 Contact Cards 

Contact cards are now available.  Officers should ensure that if they attend an address and the individual is not at home that they leave a contact card containing their details.  This should negate front desk staff circulating a request to identify an officer.  Contact cards will be tested in the next Force survey and District Commanders will be held to account if performance is not good in their areas.  Action:  Chief Inspectors to ensure that the contact cards are made available to all Response, SNA and CID Officers.  Chief Inspectors to also request that supervisory officers brief PCSOs and Police Officers in their use. 

 


 

Date: 

Tuesday, 21 January, 2014 - 10:00