Barnsley District Command Team

MINUTES OF BARNSLEY DISTRICT COMMAND TEAM MEETING

 

HELD AT 10.00 AM, TUESDAY 4 MARCH 2014

 

 

In Attendance:              Chief Superintendent Andy Brooke (Chair)

Superintendent Liz Watson, Operations

CI Andy Hodgkinson, Response

CI Debbie Mahmood, Safer Neighbourhoods

A/PS Gareth Hyde, Staff Officer

Mary Verity, Business Manager

 

Apologies:                   T/DCI Steve Handley, Crime Manager

Rachael Greenfield, HR Operational Partner

Lisa Ingham, Finance Officer

 

Copy to:                       Rachel Lilley, Barnsley District Liaison Officer

T/Chief Inspector Simon Wanless

 

 

1.         APOLOGIES

 

  1. As above.

 

 

2.         MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING & MATTERS ARISING

 

2.1       The minutes of the last meeting dated 18 February 2014 were agreed as an accurate record.

 

 

3.         ACTIONS FROM LAST MEETING

 

3.1        Custody RebuildProject Team to be established.  A Project Team has been established and an inaugural meeting will take place on 1 April 2014.  The Custody rebuild has been set as a standard agenda item within the Business Plan meeting.  Clarity around provision of a gym has been sought from DCC Holt and Chief Supt. Odell.  Discharged.

 

3.2       Retail Crime UnitCommand Team to meet in February to discuss the future shape of the District’s pro‑active capability, incorporating the Tasking Team, VCT, Crime Scene Investigators, Retail Crime and the Cocooning Team.  A meeting took place on 3 March 2014.  Discharged.    

 

3.3       Managing Vulnerable PeopleChief Supt. Brooke, Inspector Leake, CI Mahmood and Supt. McFarlane to discuss vulnerability plans.  A meeting will take place with Supt. McFarlane on  28 March 2014.  Discharged.

 

 

4.         PERFORMANCE UPDATE – CI IAIN CHORLTON

 

4.1        On 21 March 2014 the DCC has called for a performance seminar around DMM.  CI Chorlton presented an overview of discussions.   

 

 

5.         LOCAL CRIME & PCC POLICING PLAN

 

5.1        Summary of Year to Date Performance re. PCC Targets

 

All crime is currently down by 4% (541 less offences). 

 

ASB is down by 8%.

 

Burglary dwelling has reduced by 3.4% (28 offences). 

 

Vehicle crime has reduced by 0.6%.

 

Criminal damage has seen a 15.5% reduction (402 offences).

 

Violence with injury is up by 9.1% (97 offences). 

 

Hate crime is up by 14% (13 offences). 

 

The positive outcome rate is 31.1% - best in Force.

 

5.2        Forthcoming Events/Operations

 

            The Barnsley-v-Notts. Forest match will take place on Saturday 8 March 2014.

 

An International Women’s Event based around hate crime is set for 8 March 2014 at the Horizon College.

 

 

6.         PROTECTION FROM SERIOUS HARM

 

6.1        Major Crime Investigations

 

Deferred to the next meeting. 

 

 

7.         DISTRICT MANAGEMENT/VALUE FOR MONEY

 

7.1        Update from Key Force Meetings

 

District Review.  Four consultation workshops will be launched within the next two weeks in respect of District’s view of the three models and the demand reduction recommendations.  Feedback will be collated by Chief Supt. Brooke and A/PS Hyde.

 

Professional Standards Meeting.  It is anticipated that HMIC will visit Districts from April 2014 to test the understanding of officers and staff around integrity.  An HMIC Integrity Action Plan has been drafted which will be circulated to District staff. 

 

The Chief has established a People’s Board to look at items such as morale, the staff survey and health and well-being.  Chief Supt. Brooke will represent Barnsley. 

 

Closed.

 

Where possible, anything above a Local Resolution has previously been retained by PSD for investigation, however due to cuts the management of these is becoming increasingly difficult to progress with a suggestion that some of the Proportionate Investigations be returned to Districts for Inspectors to progress.  Further, PSD requested a Sergeant or Inspector work alongside the Investigation Team on a 6 month attachment.  In respect of this, Superintendent Watson proposed that once a Proportionate Investigation is received on District the SPOC will visit PSD to review the investigation.  Chief Supt. Brooke will raise the attachment request at the next District Commanders meeting.

 

7.2        OMA Financial Commentary

 

No current update.

 

7.3        Risk Register

 

No new risks were raised.

 

Business Continuity.  Not discussed.

 

7.4        Business Plan

 

Business Plan Projects.  No new items.  DCC Holt has requested Mary Verity review the hire vehicles on District.  Discussions around this will take place within the Business Plan meeting.

 

7.5       Human Resource Issues

 

Establishment

 

Five new PCSOs, a CID officer and one uniform officer will transfer to District shortly.  Several officers have also transferred to other Districts. 

 

Personnel & Welfare Issues.  Discussed.

 

7.6       Performance Visit Action Schedule

 

Deferred to the next meeting. 

 

7.7        Audit Reports

 

            Internal Audit have advised they are undertaking an audit of the Bumblebee Auction site and the income that is generated as a result. 

 

 

8.         ANY OTHER BUSINESS

 

8.1       Intelligence Overtime Budget.  To be discussed further within the Business Plan meeting.

Date: 

Thursday, 13 March, 2014 - 10:00