Finance Committee minutes

FINANCE COMMITTEE MEETING

 

 TUESDAY 24 SEPTEMBER 2013, 10AM, CARBROOK HOUSE

 

 

Present:           Mr Nigel Hiller (Chair)

                        Mr Geoff Berrett

Mrs Debbie Carrington

                        Mr Robert Fennessy

                        Mrs Natalie Beal and Dan Blackwell – for part of the meeting

                        Mrs Sharon Prasanto administration

 

 

  1. Minutes of last meeting held on 21 June 2013 and matters arising

 

The minutes were approved.

 

Accruals

 

NH had asked for DB’s report on accruals to be placed on the FCM agenda to discuss in more detail.  DB confirmed he and DC had met with the OMA’s but the issue hadn’t been resolved.  DB said that in his opinion there were two options; 1) to reduce the amount of accruals, however the data would not be accurate, but this would save time/resources or 2) keep the accruals and have accurate monthly data.  NH favoured the former.  He asked how much time the accruals take to which DC agreed she would gather the information over the month end.  GB to meet with DB to discuss in detail and make a recommendation.

 

 

Action:  GB to meet with DB to discuss in more detail the issue surrounding accruals and

               make a recommendation

 

 

  1. Revenue Monitoring (standing item)

 

DC gave a general update.  Projected outturn is showing an £815K underspend. This is net position after the savings target of £10.2M (£6.8M planned savings and £3.4M additional PCC efficiency target)  EDL march not yet accounted for therefore this figure will come down next month. £5.2M identified savings at end of August 2013.  NH to speak to Ian Watson to send pay budgets information to allow DC to incorporate into budget. 

 

  1. Capital Programme (standing item)

 

Nothing to report. 

 

  1. External Funding (standing item)

 

Nothing to report.

 

  1. Exchequer Issues (standing item)

 

Rob Fennessey gave an update.  He is writing a report to go through Establishment Control for the replacement of the Head of Payroll.  RF to prepare a business case for the new expenses software.  This may have to go through ERP Project Board. RF said he was due to meet with Ian Watson and MP Clive Betts regarding the loss of PPA.  RF raised a potential pensions issue regarding a complaint to Pensions Ombudsman by a member of public.  Once the Ombudsman had looked at the test case, we would be in a better position to see if there was a case to answer.  However there could be a cost to the force if there wasn’t any funding available.  He said it would also be a big drain on Pensions Department resources. 

 

NH informed RF that the Chief Constable had made it clear he would like SYP to join the Cycle to work scheme and the Car share scheme.  RF to meet with GB and Alan Marsden to take this forward.

           

 

 

Action:  RF to meet with GB and Alan Marsden to discuss the Cycle to Work and Car Share

               scheme and how SYP can take this forward

 

 

 

  1. Capital Scheme Brief Approvals and Items approved outside of FCM (standing item)

 

See separate capital scheme brief schedule.

 

  1. Internal Recharges

 

Debbie Carrington.  Nothing to report although she raised concerns regarding the lack of understanding from Districts/Depts on recharges.  NH agreed to stop doing IS recharges.

 

 

  1. Asset Management Plans

 

DB gave an update.  Shared the current asset management plan and asked NH to agree the decisions. The plans were updated.  NH stated that only replacement items be included in on the AMP.

 

 

  1. Date and Time of Next meeting:                 Thursday 24 October 2pm, Carbrook House

 

 

Date: 

Tuesday, 24 September, 2013 - 12:30