Barnsley District Command Team Meeting

 

In Attendance:              Chief Superintendent Andy Brooke (Chair)

Superintendent Liz Watson, Operations

CI Debbie Mahmood, Safer Neighbourhoods

T/DCI Steve Handley, Crime Manager

Mary Verity, Business Manager

Amanda Sanderson, HR Operational Partner

A/PS Gareth Hyde, Staff Officer

 

Apologies:                   CI Andy Hodgkinson, Response

 

Copy to:                       Rachel Lilley, Barnsley District Liaison Officer

T/Chief Inspector Simon Wanless

Lisa Ingham, Finance Officer

 

 

1.         APOLOGIES

 

  1. As above.

 

 

2.         MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING & MATTERS ARISING

 

2.1       The minutes of the last meeting dated 15 April 2014 were agreed as an accurate record.

 

 

3.         ACTIONS FROM LAST MEETING

 

3.1        Tour de FranceInspector Wanless to deliver a presentation to the next Command Team meeting regarding progress on the Tour de France.  A meeting took place with Inspector Wanless recently to discuss plans and contingencies - a tour of the cycle route was completed.  Inspector Wanless will discuss the crime plans with DCI Singleton.  Discharged.

 

3.2        CST DiariesThe new diary system to be reviewed at the Command Team meeting on 13.05.14.  Although problems have been encountered with the new system, work has taken place with Atlas Court to resolve the issues.  Chief Supt. Brooke requested feedback on specific problems, he will then discuss within the Commanders meetings.  Discharged.

 

 

4.         PSU – INCREASE OF STAFF NUMBERS PRESENTATION

 

4.1        Inspector McWalter forwarded his apologies for today’s meeting.  Action:  Chief Supt. Brooke to liaise with Inspector McWalter in respect the issues.  Chief Supt. Brooke to then discuss with Commanders in respect of a corporate approach.

 

 

5.         LOCAL CRIME & PCC POLICING PLAN

 

5.1        Summary of Year to Date Performance re. PCC Targets

 

All crime is currently up by 9.5% (167 offences). 

 

ASB is down by 0.6%.

 

Burglary dwelling has reduced by 6% (9 less offences). 

 

Vehicle crime has reduced by 13.8% (32 less offences).

 

Criminal damage is up by 15.2% (44 offences).

 

Violence with injury is up by 28.7% (43 offences). 

 

Violence without injury is up by 80.7% (46 offences).

 

Hate crime is up by 33% (3 offences). 

 

The positive outcome rate is up by 27.9% which is 4.6% up on the same period last year.

 

TICs have improved which should enhance the performance figures.

 

The timeliness of the analytical work completed by HQ has been raised with the Senior Command Team.

 

5.2        Forthcoming Events/Operations

 

            A town centre dispersal notice commenced on 9 May 2014 for a six month period. 

 

            HMIC will visit District on 20 May 2014.  The current priority poster will be updated.

 

Feedback in respect of previous BH issues will take place prior to the 26 May 2014 Bank Holiday.

 

A planning meeting took place recently which identified several events taking place during June:

 

Live in Town on 21 June 2014.

Pink Fields 24 and 25 May 2014 at Cawthorne.  Post Meeting Update:  Now cancelled.

Planning is underway in respect of the first of the group matches for the World Cup, one of which clashes with 3 cycle races in town.

 

 

6.         PROTECTION FROM SERIOUS HARM

 

6.1        Major Crime Investigations

 

Closed.

 

 

7.         DISTRICT MANAGEMENT/VALUE FOR MONEY

 

7.1        Update from Key Force Meetings

 

SYPB.  CI Mahmood gave a presentation on the overtime review.  Of three options discussed, it was decided that a return to a zero base for overtime be progressed. 

 

An Airwave review has taken place, however due to the short notice of the report, none of the Commanders were in a position to agree any of the recommendations without further debate.

 

Following District Review, a sectorised policing model will be progressed.  Work around this is ongoing and a bid for staffing will take place.

 

Regional Scientific Support – Frank Harkness is nominated as the Area Forensic Manager for District and will link in with tasking processes.

 

Closed.

 

PSD Meeting.  HMIC will make a Force visit around integrity.  The new HMIC plan will be to pursue PEL (Performance, Efficiency and Legitimacy) and not thematics.  The District PSD Board has been renamed Integrity and Professional Standards Board, with additional officers co-opted to progress any actions set.    

 

Closed.

 

Superintendents Association.  Work has commenced on the new DMS system set to replace GRS.  It was highlighted that Superintendents and Chief Inspectors should be recording their actual hours worked on GRS which will, in the future, be linked to pay.

 

7.2        OMA Financial Commentary

 

To be discussed within the Business Plan meeting.

 

7.3        Risk Register

 

Closed.

 

Business Continuity.  Not discussed.

 

7.4        Business Plan

 

Business Plan Projects.  The projects include Accommodation Strategy, CSE, CCTV Review, Health and Wellbeing and the potential co-location of BMBC within the Police Station.  Two further projects have been recorded, the Mobile Data project and Continuous Improvement. 

 

Job evaluation relating to the management structure within CCTV and tendering has taken place. 

 

7.5       Human Resource Issues

 

Establishment

 

Closed.

 

Personnel & Welfare Issues.  Discussed.

 

Awards.  Chief Supt. Brooke will present two Royal Humane Society awards to Barnsley staff at today’s Force Award Ceremony.

 

The PCCs Award Ceremony for South Yorkshire will take place on 12 June 2014.  Of the 15 awards, Barnsley will receive 7.  The Barnsley Chronicle are to run an article on individual staff receiving the awards.

 

7.6       Performance Visit Action Schedule

 

The next Performance Visit will take place on Tuesday 17 June 2014. 

 

7.7        Audit Reports

 

            No items.

 

7.8       Local Authority Liaison Officer Role

 

            Funding has been received from the PCC to support the above role.  The funding will pay for an Analyst and a LALO to progress Partnership co-ordination and drive activity.  Expressions of interest have been requested. 

 

 

8.         ANY OTHER BUSINESS

 

8.1       Immigration Compliance & Enforcement.  Sheffield and Rotherham have initially piloted the scheme.  A process is in place whereby a form will be completed by Custody for submission to Immigration in respect of any European National that has twice been detained or deemed as a significant risk.  The form will request identification of personal details such as employment, accommodation, dependents abroad and at home.  If the person cannot prove that they have regular income, the detainee can be deported as long as they have been in this country for more than 3 years and less than 5 years. 

 

            DS Lee Berry will present the scheme at the next Inspectors meeting.  DS Barker, District SPOC, will brief staff.

 

8.2        Closed.

Date: 

Tuesday, 13 May, 2014 - 10:00