VFM Management Meeting

NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED

MINUTES

1. APOLOGIES

   Karen Lilley (KL) – Departmental HR Partner
   Kelly, Nicky (NK) – Operational Management Accountant
   Stockham, Andy (AS) – Fleet Manager, Doncaster Garage
 _________________________________________________________________

 ATTENDEES

  Gilding, Sarah (SG) - Head of VFM, (Chair)
   Day, Dave (DD) – Senior Fleet Manager,
   Buckley, Jo (JH) – Driver Services Manager
   Crawford , Don (DC) – Fleet Manager, Churchill Garage
   Stiles, Mandy (MS) – Administrator (Minutes)


2. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING AND ACTIONS
The minutes of the previous meeting on 19 March 2014 were approved as a true record.  The action schedule was reviewed and updated, see action schedule dated 21 May  2014. 


3. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE OPEN SESSION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
None.


4. DECLARATIONS OF ANY OTHER BUSINESS
• Returned pool cars and demonstrators
• Service times


5. DEPARTMENT STRUCTURE
5.1 Savings

Nothing further to report.

5.2 Planning for Doncaster Closure
We are currently in the middle of transferring ramps etc to Rotherham Garage, getting them connected and are due to be commissioned into service soon.  Planning to use the Doncaster Driver and Apprentice to move the small tools etc. across to Rotherham on the first weekend in June.  DD has a meeting with the site manager tomorrow to progress this.


6. FINANCE
6.1 Revenue and Capital Update

SG reported a £180,000 overspend at the 2013/14 year end. Although there was a £20,000 under spend on employee costs, the overspends occurred on parts (extra budget has been granted for this financial year), livery and tyres, plus there was not as much revenue generated from avoidable repairs as predicted.  JB stated that there should be some income this year from the Fire Service vehicles which we have agreed to service and maintain. DC has concerns about taking a mechanic off a job when a Fire Service vehicle comes in.  SG is concerned that the Fire Service are not getting information about the cost of the jobs as Finance are not dealing with the invoicing swiftly – invoices generated at the end of April have still not been sent.

Action 1 – 21-05-14:  Sarah Gilding to speak with Nikki Kelly with regard to invoicing outside organisations swiftly.

JB reported problems with Tracker chasing things up that we have provided information for but finance have not dealt with.  SG said she was keen not to have any negative feedback on this, as we do not want to loose the business.

6.2 Trading Accounts
SG said she would go though the trading accounts with NK at a later date as she was unable to attend the meeting today.


7. REGIONAL WORKING UPDATE
7.1 Tranman Upgrade

The next step is the Web portal. The current RT19 paper based insurance form will be discontinued and all reports of damage will be made on line via the web portal.  A discussion took place on how to get people to report damage in a timely manner.  JB concerned about who will be doing the vehicle checks.

7.2 Fire Service
This is progressing well, apart from the problems with invoicing mentioned in paragraph 6.1 above.


8. BUSINESS PLANNING
8.1 Job Cards

JB has done some instructions on the best way to progress with Tranman data entry in an effort to standardise and ensure each garage is working in the same way.  These instructions will be circulated to key staff for comment.

Action 2 – 21-05-14:  Joanne Buckley to e-mail the Tranman data entry instructions out to key staff for comment.

8.2 Transporter
A discussion took place and it was agreed to look at purchasing a second hand transporter.  JB to instruct the Driver Services Co-ordinator to keep an eye out on Auction sites for a suitable one.  JB to speak to AS about suitable contacts to use(e.g. the AA) when looking for a second hand transporter.

8.3 Issues to be resolved at Churchill Workshop
• A discussion took place on how to manage situations where a vehicle comes into the workshop and parts are ordered but the vehicle goes out again for operational use but it is then difficult to get the vehicle back into the garage to fit the parts.  It was agreed we need to be more proactive about getting vehicles back in and be persistent about it.

Action 3 – 21-05.-4:  Don Crawford to discuss with the store keeper and develop a process to be followed when vehicle parts are on order but the vehicles is going back out on the road;  to get the vehicle  back into the garage again for the part to be fitted.

• JB suggested using drivers to deal with tyre punctures and fitting tyres.  By putting them on a one day training course (run by the AA) it would ensure they have the correct skills to do this.  The storekeeper at Rotherham already does this. As does the driver at Doncaster.  It was agreed to contact Karen Lilley from the HR point of view, to inform her of our plans.

Action 4 – 21.05.14: Joanne Buckley to ask all Drivers, whether they would be willing to attend ‘tyre fitting’ training and to contact Karen Lilley with regard to the  HR point of view.

• Commissioning stock not being controlled effectively.  All Commissioning stock that has a stock location must come under the storekeeper and be ‘booked’ in / out.  This is not the case for any items taken off de-commissioned vehicles, which can be re-used.

Action 5 – 21-05-14: Don Crawford to review the location of all Commissioning stock that has a BIN location and ensure there is adequate provision to store any items taken off de-commissioned vehicles, which can be re-used.


9. HUMAN RESOURCES
SG explained that she had made a promise  that all NCALT training would be up to date by the next Performance and Governance meeting.

Action 6 – 21-05-14: All Managers to ensure their members of staff complete all outstanding NCALT training as soon as possible.

9.1 Diamond Review Update
SG is due to attend a meeting later today which will report on the number of vehicles identified across the Force for reduction.  Hire vehicles are another area where Districts and Departments must justify why they have them.

9.2 PDR’s
A reminder was issued that all PDR’s are due by the end of this month.

9.3  Sickness
Not discussed during the meeting.

9.4 Flexible Working Review
A discussion took place about how to move forward with this. It was noted that to alleviate pressure on work,  bikes could be sent out for service and repair, if costs are acceptable.  More work to be done on this.

9.5 Annual Leave Management
It was noted that this ties in with the flexible working review but there is also a need to proactively manage annual leave and not leave it until the end of the year. A discussion took place around cover for the Fleet Manager at Churchill Way and the impact on the ability to take leave.  To be discussed at the next Management Team Meeting.

Action 7 – 21-05-14: Mandy Stiles to add ‘Discuss cover at Churchill Way’ to the agenda for the next Management Team Meeting.


10. RISK REGISTERS AND BUSINESS CONTINUITY
Nothing to report.


11. PERFORMANCE
11.1 Force Performance

Nothing to report.

11.2 VFM Performance
Nothing to report.


12. EQUALITY AND DIVERSITY
Nothing to report.


13. STOCK CONTROL
Nothing to report.


14. SUSTAINABILITY
SG reported that the Sustainability Manager has promoted ‘In motion schemes’. Filming for this took place yesterday. Vehicle fleet have participated in the Eco Stars and Eco Business driving Schemes.

14.1 Eco Business Driving
Currently four training sessions have been arranged for June for members of staff who drive police vehicles. More sessions will be arranged once numbers are known.


15. INTEGRITY
15.1  FIRST Intranet site

SG reported that the Chief Constable has re-launched the FIRST principles which previously stood for Fairness, Integrity, Respect, Sincerity & Trust but with a crucial change, as S now stands for Standards. The Force will be inspected with regard to this by HMIC in a month or so.  Integrity has been added to the Departments website where there is a link to the Force information on FIRST.

15.2 Integrity Action Plan
SG said she is currently working on this.  And will be sending some information out to staff shortly, which will highlight what their responsibilities are.


16. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
16.1 Returned Pool Cars and Demonstrators

DC is concerned about the state in which pool cars are returned.  It was agreed to check who the last user was and take a photograph which should be sent to District Commanders along with any further information, for the Commander to highlight at Command Team meetings.

16.2  Service Times
DD spoke to Perry Clarke at Vauxhall yesterday in an effort to find out what the service times are on Vauxhalls and was told that this can be found on ‘Tis2web’.  It was agreed that DC would check this to see if there is a differential and contact Chris Angell at Vauxhall to ensure service times are more accurate.
 
Date of next meeting: 9.30am Wednesday 18 June 2014, in the VFM conference room.

Date: 

Wednesday, 21 May, 2014 - 09:30