Doncaster District Management Meeting - 20th June 2011
DONCASTER DISTRICT MANAGEMENT MEETING
Briefing Room, College Road Police Station, Doncaster
Monday 20thJune 2011
Present: Ch. Supt Sanderson (Chair)
Supt Peter Norman (Partnerships)
CI Andy Kent (Operation)
T/DCI Nat Shaw (Crime Support)
DCI Mark Foster (Crime Manager)
T/Chief Inspector Neil Thomas (SNA Operations)
Karen Lilley (Personnel)
Helen Haigh (Business Manager)
Rob Fennessy (Operational Management Accountant)
Insp Richard Scholey (CJAD)
Received from Supt Tim Innes (Operations), CI Ian Bint (Partnerships)
2 STANDING ITEMS
The minutes of the previous meeting were accepted as a true and accurate record.
A review of the action schedule took place.
Presentation – YALSAR (Yorkshire And Lincolnshire Search And Rescue)
Brett Gutteridge attended the meeting to talk about the assistance YALSAR are able to provide to Police across Yorkshire and Lincolnshire during operational situations. Have a team of volunteers that are recognised by ACPO and part of ALSAR (Association of Lowland Search and Rescue). Already work with Ambulance Service covering critical 999 calls. Can offer assistance only, will not replace any specialist police units. Able to carry out the following search types; Urban, Rural, Building, Scenes of Crime, Evidence (search for clothing etc), River Bank, Hazardous Area, Night Time and Severe Weather. Helicopter Handling trained, body recovery, casualty extraction/evacuation, trauma recognition intervention management (TRIM counselling), Level 4 IHCP (evquivalent to a paramedic to administer some medication such as oxygen, morphine etc), Water Rescue Training, Preservation Crime Scene Training.
Have access to various types of search equipment and vehicles and available to operate in any situation as well as being able to call upon other teams across the country in large scale situations.
Ask that ensure provide all relevant information when call them for assistance, and will do what SYP direct them to. Are on hand and more than happy to provide advice. Have 2 call-out numbers on the website. These numbers are monitored 24hrs a day with teams on a pager system. Will call back within 10 minutes and get teams on the ground within 1 hour.
Are able to offer training familiarisation and orientation of YALSAR’s operational methods to aid partnership working such as styles of searching, First Aid Training and Defra Flood Water Rescue Training. Also would like training from us as different Forces have different ways of working, such as how we prefer to preserve scenes, expectations of Silver and Gold Command etc.
By utilising the search teams Police Forces have found that money can be saved in call-out costs for officers. Ch Supt Sanderson agreed that it is a fantastic opportunity for South Yorkshire Police and would seek to develop a long term partnership with YALSAR.
ACTION: CI Kent to ensure Brett Gutteridge attends the next Operational Inspectors Meeting to provide presentation.
ACTION: CI Kent to put together procedure in liaison with CI Comms to utilise YALSAR.
ACTION: CI Kent to be the Operational Lead and also nominate an Inspector as point of contact.
CAP – Ch Supt Sanderson provided an update. Based on the daily CAP (Crime Analysis) up until 31 May 2011 compared with the same period last year, total crime has reduced by 7.6 %.
Serious Acquisitive Crime is down by 31.1%, Vehicle Crime down by 24.7% and Criminal Damage down by 4.1%.
Violence with Injury (which includes Serious Violent Crime and Assault with Injury) has reduced by 11% and violence against the person is down by 9.6 %. More Serious Violent Crime is currently showing a reduction of 23.8 %.
Rape offences show a 47.6 % decrease compared to the same time last year.
Burglary (dwelling) and auto crime continue to be a critical area throughout the 2011/12 performance year. Doncaster is currently 162 dwelling offences lower than the same time last year – a reduction of 38.2 %. Theft from vehicle is 91 offences under and theft of vehicle 38 under. This equates to reductions of 24.9 % and 24.7 % respectively.
Robbery is also showing a reduction of 46.2 %.
Overall detection rates stand at 32.3 %. The detection rate for Serious Acquisitive Crime is 33.6 % (Robbery 35.7 %, Burglary Dwelling 52.3 % and Vehicle Crime 21.2%). The criminal damage detection rate is presently 14.4 %.
The current detection rate for racially aggravated crime is a very healthy 64.3 %.
In summary serious acquisitive crime reduction rates and detection rates in all key areas are very healthy. Burglary dwelling has reduced significantly through extremely tight management of this area and associated offenders. Hate crime is also on target despite the widening out of the categories this year, and damage is also approaching trajectory. It is important to recognise that it is far too early to suggest we will stay on target only two months into the performance year and historically low levels of crime last June and July will make maintaining the significant percentages difficult as the numbers are relatively small up to date. That said the overall picture is excellent and allows the District to try and build on these foundations. July will be very challenging as crime was very low during July 2010.
Metal thefts are rising. We are in dialogue with major utility companies to tackle the problem as well as carrying out work around scrap metal dealers. A strategy and tactical plan has been put in place to tackle metal theft.
FPW Scheme – Supt Norman provided an update. Continues to be pushed across the borough. Other areas of the Force appear to be more advanced than us at this time. FPW Scheme also being progressed for Criminal Damage.
4 CONFIDENCE AND SATISFACTION
Update from Supt Norman. Doncaster’s diagnostics for police actions have seen a reduction in performance since February with key areas of giving reassurance, practical help, victim support advice and investigation of the scene seeing the most significant changes.
It was noted on the last BHC that over several months that the initial response to Burglary (dwelling) and vehicle crime was poor in the area of ‘were you told roughly how long it would take for someone to arrive?’. Performance in relation to this question was as follows:
Burglary (dwelling) - 44%
Vehicle Crime - 33%
This was in contrast to Violent Crime performance in this area where the performance in relation to the same question was 75%.
For April’s figures, the performance in this area was showing 56% for burglary, 20% for vehicle crime and 50% for violent crime suggesting there is still an issue at first point of contact. Supt Odell is looking into this issue. The next set of USS Data is due 1st week of July.
The message is also being re-enforced around ‘Follow-Up’ and the types of language/terminology that should be using as well as using the Service Recovery procedure when get the feeling the member of the public is not happy with the service provided.
ACTION: Supt Norman to attend Briefings over the next few weeks to re-enforce the message with a brief powerpoint presentation re ‘Follow Up’ and ‘Service Recovery Procedure’ to raise awareness.
Horizon Update - T/CI Thomas confirmed that the Horizon plan is still being monitored, however there are no major projects running at this time. The recommendations that can be implemented have been progressed but others are dependent on Force decisions and currently on hold.
Neighbourhoods – T/Chief Inspector Thomas provided an update. Criminal Damage is down by 5.6%. An ASB campaign is under discussion. Theme Group meetings will now be held every 2 months. The new partnership Neighbourhood Policing Teams are working well.
However, there is a major issue surrounding boundaries. The Local Authority have decided to re-draw their boundaries without proper consultation, meaning that their boundaries will no longer correspond with the Police’s. This will cause serious operational difficulties and discussions are ongoing as to how this can be rectified. If we end up having to re-align our boundaries there will be huge IT costs that simply cannot be met in the current climate. Chief Supt Sanderson will raise concerns with Joan Beck and Gavin Baldwin but insisted there will be no change to our existing police boundaries.
Incivility Complaints – Supt Norman confirmed this is discussed as part of the District Professional Standards Meeting Action Schedule. There are no issues or concerns at this time.
5 PROMOTING SAFETY
Operation Alligator/Ark – Chief Inspector Kent provided an update. Performance Framework shows that Violent Crime in the Town Centre is down. Looking to find solution to problem at present with overtime costs being incurred on Alligator evenings due to being unable to release staff from outside of town until those in Town Centre have been relieved. Also staffing is falling below the agreed 23 minimum. A Working Party is to be set up to look at alterations to the Alligator Plan. Bawtry appears to be a rising issue due to its popularity on Fri/Sat evenings. T/CI Thomas and CI Kent are looking at this and monitoring.
The Ark Xmas Plan is still in place along with the Leger Plan. Operational Planning are currently resourcing the plans to provide costs and enquiring to see what the Force can provide. No issues at this time.
T/CI Thomas raised issue with BHL staffing and PSU vans. Currently staffed by SNT’s. Need to look at additional resources for not just Bank Holidays but other demanding dates such as ‘Mad Friday’. Need to look at budgets and see where funding could be provided from.
ACTION: CI Kent to nominate an officer to look at the plan and bring findings back to next finance meeting for Ch Supt Sanderson to discuss with Superintendents.
ACTION: CI Kent to set up a working party to look at alterations to the Alligator Plan.
Prevent Agenda – Supt Norman provided update. The Government Blue Print has been produced. Event to take place in July. There will be a blanket Prevent Strategy for the country. Some funding will be available and a Force-wide meeting is to be held to look at the Police structure and the responsibilities of individual agencies. Update at next meeting.
6 TACKLING CRIME
Offender Management – Update by DCI Foster. Continuing to work well. No issues for offender management. With regard to PCT – the Home Office are running.a pilot to allow charging for not guilty pleas re shoplifting offence and South Yorkshire Police are one of the pilot forces. Training will be required for VCT supervisors re charging standards, meeting 30th June, custody times may reduce for these offences as will not need to refer to CPS
7 SERIOUS CRIME AND PROTECTION
OCG’s – DCI Foster provided update. Finding difficulties in managing OCG’s. Able to disrupt them at level 1 but proving impossible to manage upwards. Relationship and integration into level 2 and FIB needs to improve and discussions ongoing. SNT engagement is being encouraged and working well. One new OCG has been registered, while 2 have now dropped off the scoring matrix. The briefing product has been improved, although some further work is to be completed at Force level.
POCA - DCI Foster provided an update. The POCA review is now underway. Looking at each District and at how the incentivisation money is used etc. POCA is now part of DART locally but may need to have another look at structures following POCA review.
PPU – T/DCI Shaw gave an update. DS Gilbert leaves in November 2011. Currently advertising the post to find a suitable replacement. Agreed by Commander it will be a DS post.
Reactive – T/DCI Shaw provided update. The new shift pattern is now up and running allowing for reactive staff cover until midnight. Plans in place to move reactive to College Road.
PCT – DCI Mark Foster provided update. The team are more focused and performance is good. TIC’s have also improved.
CMU – DCI Foster provided an update. Currently moving towards a new structure. No issues at this time.
8 ORGANISATIONAL MANAGEMENT
National/Regional Update – Ch Supt Sanderson provided an update. Still lots happening around pay and conditions. Nothing major. Industrial Action planned in the Public Sector. Ist day of Action will be 30th June 2011 and we are already planning for this locally. Marches planned.
Delivery of Cashable Efficiencies – Update from Rob Fennessy. £1.3 million savings achieved. The CST, HR and CMU reviews all produced savings.
Budget Update – Rob Fennessy updated the meeting. £80,000 underspend. No concerns.
Bank Holidays and Overtime – Rob Fennessy updated the meeting. No concerns. Bank Holiday overtime for reactive is reducing.
Sickness Update – Karen Lilley updated the meeting. Police Officer Sickness is below target. Police Staff is slightly above target but has been affected by long term sickness. However, there are no concerns or issues.
Welfare Reports – Karen Lilley discussed the outstanding reports. 5 chased.
PDR timeliness – Karen Lilley discussed the late list. 10 x PDR’s chased.
Outstanding Hours Owed – Karen Lilley provided an update. Accumulated Time Owing is down at 12531 hours. RRRD’s reducing also and now at 865 days.
Training Update – Karen lilley confirmed there are no real concerns or issues.
Business Plan – Helen Haigh confirmed up to date.
Risk Management – Helen Haigh confirmed up to date with no issues. To be audited in two weeks.
Health and Safety – Helen Haigh confirmed up to date with no issues.
Partnership Update – Update from Supt Norman. Community Safety Strategy has been amended. Performance measures circulated. ASB 15.1% down. The yearly review was very positive. Have 4 new performance boards, the leads have been identified. Issue around the new LA boundaries as previously discussed under Neighbourhoods. PCSO’s and SNT structures will be looked at by Diamond Review at a later stage. The partnership team of ASB staff at Bentley is working well.
Vehicle Fleet – Update from Helen Haigh. Issue with Stop Stick. Need a SPOC. Inspector to be nominated by CI Kent.
ACTION: CI Kent to nominate an Inspector to be the Stop Stick SPOC and discuss issues raised by Helen Haigh outside of this meeting.
Accommodation – Ch Superintendent Sanderson provided an update. Building works will commence for the new Police Station at Redhouse on 19th September 2011, with Ch Supt Sanderson digging the first piece of soil to mark the occasion. Sale of other buildings such as Waveney Houise is ongoing. Askern is now up for sale.
Operation Diamond – Ch Supt Sanderson has circulated the latest document for reading. There is a lot of disagreement around the Intelligence Review at this time which will go to Diamond board in due course.
Staff Recognition – PS Stuart Rowse attended the meeting and was presented with his Chief Inspector’s Good Work Minute following his involvement and assistance during the Moorends murder investigation in March 2011.
Meeting has been arranged for Ch Supt Sanderson, Supt Innes and Supt Norman on 12th July 2011 to discuss July’s applications. Further 2 meetings scheduled for 8th August and 13th September to discuss further applications.
9 ANY OTHER BUSINESS
CST – T/CI Thomas proposed that the 12 investigators currently in CMU be split with 6 remaining in CMU and 6 to go into CST to deal with scheduled incidents. A/Insp Hunter is aware of proposal. Suggest that the 6 within CST are then supervised by the 3 sergeants that should remain in CST. This was agreed on a temporary basis until review completed.
Urban SNA – T/CI Thomas raised difficulties in policing urban SNA due to being at split sites. T/CI Thomas proposed that the Town/Urban SNA be sited at The Dome on the 2nd floor with PCSO’s. Would mean that Reactive can move into the old Tutor Unit Office at College Road. DCI Foster thought this would be beneficial and is to also look towards DART moving into 2nd Floor of DHQ. The Urban SNA shift pattern was also discussed and it was agreed that it would be best to get the team settled at The Dome in the first instance then review the shift pattern.
ACTION: T/CI Thomas, Helen Haigh and DCI Foster to meet outside of the meeting to discuss logistics for these moves.
10 Date and Time of Next Meeting
Monday 18th July 2011
1.30pm – 4.30pm
Conference Room, Doncaster DHQ, Barnsley Road, Scawsby, Doncaster DN5 8QE.