Barnsley District Command Team Meeting

 

 

In Attendance:             Chief Superintendent Liz Watson (Chair)

CI Andy Hodgkinson, Response

DCI Debbie Mahmood, Crime, Safer Neighbourhoods/Partnerships

Mary Verity, Business Manager

Amanda Tankard, HR Operational Partner

 

Apologies:                   Superintendent Shelley Hemsley, Operations

Lisa Ingham, Finance Officer

 

Copy to:                       Rachel Lilley, Barnsley District Liaison Officer

 

 

 

1.         APOLOGIES

 

  1. As above.

 

 

2.         MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING & MATTERS ARISING

 

2.1       The minutes of the last meeting dated 6 January 2015 were agreed as an accurate record.

 

 

3.         ACTIONS FROM LAST MEETING

 

3.1        Expenses Dip SamplingCorporate Finance Payroll to be requested that on a quarterly basis they dip sample six expense forms and update District.  Mary Verity to discuss with Julie Reid.  Payroll have requested that District identify an officer from each portfolio area whose form can be dip sampled. Inspectors Mitchell, Leake and Hancock along with DSs to be contacted in respect of this.  Discharged.

 

3.2        BB UsageAll BBs to be checked for usage – CIs to action with supervisors.  Update by the end of January.  CI Hodgkinson has circulated a message and responses will be collated by the end of January.  Ongoing.

 

3.3        No Crimes. CI Mahmood to contact Julie McVeigh and determine if a decision has been made on the central post.  A job description is currently being formulated for the DDM Sergeant’s post, this will then be advertised.  CI Mahmood advised she will attend a training session in early February in order to provide resilience around DDM for District.  Discharged.

 

3.4        OvertimeCI Hodgkinson to circulate an email to Inspectors/Sergeants.  CI Hodgkinson updated the overtime issues within the last Inspectors meeting.  Discharged.

 

 

4.         CJS PROJECT – KEITH FORSHAW

 

4.1        Keith Forshaw from IS is the Project Manager on the Criminal Justice and Investigation Systems Replacement Programme.  Systems such as CASPRE, Case, Custody, Crime, Intelligence, Property, Missing Persons and Briefings can be converged as part of the programme in favour of a fully integrated records management system. 

 

4.2        As part of the SYP/Humberside IS shared service, opportunities across both estates were reviewed in order to standardise systems where possible.  As part of the process, five main programmes were created:  the ERP programme, contact management (refresh of telephony etc.), mobility (tough books and hand helds), the infrastructure programme (Outlook/Windows 7/business intelligence) and a further programme covering crime/intel.

 

4.3        A joint programme board was created to support the programme of which ACC Byrne is the Chair for south, ACC Lever for Humberside.  Other members include Chief Supt. Odell, Det. Supt. Abdy, Chief Supt. Barber, Jackie Bland, Kevin Priday, Jamie Smith and Paul Wainwright.  An initial task was to scope out Athena which other Forces were interested in, however SYP/Humberside decided not to pursue due to costs, tenure and functionality.  Following specifications for a desired programme being circulated, a six week evaluation will commence on 23rd February 2015 from five suppliers made up of written responses and practical demonstrations.  It is anticipated an award to a supplier will be made in June.   

 

 

5.         LOCAL CRIME & PCC POLICING PLAN

 

5.1        Summary of Year to Date Performance re. PCC Targets

 

            All crime stands at 6.5%.

 

ASB maintains a 4% increase.

 

Vehicle Crime has reduced to 4.1%. 

 

Violence with Injury has increased to 17.5%.

 

Shoplifting has reduced to 1.9%.

 

Other Sexual Offences have seen an increase to 64% (74 extra offences).   

 

Hate crime is up by 65.1%.

 

Domestic Crimes have seen a 1% increase to 26%.

 

Criminal Damage is up at 11.9%.

 

5.2        Forthcoming Events/Operations

 

            The Tour de Yorkshire will come through Barnsley town centre and out towards Cawthorne.  An update is awaited from Barnsley Council in respect of further details, however it is believed this will take place on the Bank Holiday Sunday May 3rd.    

 

 

6.         PROTECTION FROM SERIOUS HARM

 

6.1        Closed.

 

 

7.         DISTRICT MANAGEMENT/VALUE FOR MONEY

 

7.1        Update from Key Force Meetings

 

Flexible Working Meeting.  Information re. flexible working will be circulated to managers and an Intranet item will highlight the hierarchy of needs process.  Doncaster will be the first District to review flexible working applications, with Barnsley’s review taking place in March overseen by Supt. Ed Cooke from Humberside with input from Supt. Hemsley. 

 

Atlas Court staff will be supplied with a uniform.

 

Doncaster have disbanded their VCT Unit.  Chief Supt. Tweed reported that overall this had gone well, with minor issues around Sergeants call signs and car beats.

 

Chief Supt. Watson has raised the car beats issue with HQ.  Barnsley forwarded the updates to HQ for change from April, the maps have been returned however only the wards have been included and no car beats.  Tracey Potter has been requested to further update the map.    

 

Closed.

 

The Crime and Citizen Focus Tactical meetings will merge from 18 February 2015.  Supt. Hemsley will Chair the meeting, DCI Mahmood to deputise. Other representation has been established. 

 

An IAG meeting took place recently.  The theme for this quarter will be police volunteers and volunteering in general looking at community recruitment within the more diverse groups.  Action:  Chief Supt. Watson to attend the next IAG meeting.

 

Closed.

 

New processes will take effect from 2nd February 2015 around auto crime, burglary and making off.  Work is ongoing with supervisors as to how this will be shaped for Barnsley.  PCT will have primary attendance around all burglaries and auto crime, with the Cocooning Team being dis-established.   

 

CI Mahmood sought approval to create a link to Emergency Services and Berneslai Homes in respect of District’s current hot spot areas.  An e-mail would be circulated identifying hot spot areas in terms of crime and timelines requesting that if travelling through an area to bear in mind.   This initiative was agreed.

 

Performance Improvement Meeting & Ops & Performance.  District performance was discussed.  Although a bid was made by CI Hodgkinson for resources, this was vetoed. 

 

7.2        Closed.

 

7.3        Closed.

 

7.4        Closed.

 

7.5       Human Resource Issues

 

Establishment.  To be discussed within the Business Plan meeting.

 

Personnel & Welfare Issues.  Discussed.

 

Awards.  Nominations will be put forward for the British Association of Women’s Awards. 

 

7.6       Performance Visit Action Schedule

 

The Performance Visit took place on 19 January 2015.  Actions are awaited.

 

7.7        Audit Reports

 

            No items.

 

7.8       FIRST Internal Newsletter - Submissions

 

            Drink Drive Campaign.  District carried out 725 stops and breath tests, with Sheffield being the nearest District in terms of figures with 112 stops and breath tests, Doncaster carried out 58 and Rotherham 53.  The ending total for Barnsley by 31st December was in excess of 1,500 breath tests with over 10 arrests – no other District achieved more than 500 checks during the drink drive campaign.

 

7.9       Accommodation for PPU

 

            Helen Willey has requested additional space at Wombwell for a Domestic Violence Team.  Although she has been advised nothing is available at the moment, there is potential for the old DV Team office at Barnsley on the second floor to become available.

 

7.10      Accommodation Request from Victim Support

 

            Chief Supt. Odell and Joanna Fewkes have met with Victim Support re. the potential to co-locate three officers and one hot desk within Barnsley Police Station.  Action:  Mary Verity to request Lisa Ingham to determine the proportion of utility costs in respect of an office on the first floor of the Police Station.

 

 

8.         ANY OTHER BUSINESS

 

8.1       No items.

MINUTES OF BARNSLEY DISTRICT COMMAND TEAM MEETING

 

HELD AT 12.30 PM, TUESDAY 20 JANUARY 2015

 

 

In Attendance:             Chief Superintendent Liz Watson (Chair)

CI Andy Hodgkinson, Response

DCI Debbie Mahmood, Crime, Safer Neighbourhoods/Partnerships

Mary Verity, Business Manager

Amanda Tankard, HR Operational Partner

 

Apologies:                   Superintendent Shelley Hemsley, Operations

Lisa Ingham, Finance Officer

 

Copy to:                       Rachel Lilley, Barnsley District Liaison Officer

 

 

 

1.         APOLOGIES

 

  1. As above.

 

 

2.         MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING & MATTERS ARISING

 

2.1       The minutes of the last meeting dated 6 January 2015 were agreed as an accurate record.

 

 

3.         ACTIONS FROM LAST MEETING

 

3.1        Expenses Dip SamplingCorporate Finance Payroll to be requested that on a quarterly basis they dip sample six expense forms and update District.  Mary Verity to discuss with Julie Reid.  Payroll have requested that District identify an officer from each portfolio area whose form can be dip sampled. Inspectors Mitchell, Leake and Hancock along with DSs to be contacted in respect of this.  Discharged.

 

3.2        BB UsageAll BBs to be checked for usage – CIs to action with supervisors.  Update by the end of January.  CI Hodgkinson has circulated a message and responses will be collated by the end of January.  Ongoing.

 

3.3        No Crimes. CI Mahmood to contact Julie McVeigh and determine if a decision has been made on the central post.  A job description is currently being formulated for the DDM Sergeant’s post, this will then be advertised.  CI Mahmood advised she will attend a training session in early February in order to provide resilience around DDM for District.  Discharged.

 

3.4        OvertimeCI Hodgkinson to circulate an email to Inspectors/Sergeants.  CI Hodgkinson updated the overtime issues within the last Inspectors meeting.  Discharged.

 

 

4.         CJS PROJECT – KEITH FORSHAW

 

4.1        Keith Forshaw from IS is the Project Manager on the Criminal Justice and Investigation Systems Replacement Programme.  Systems such as CASPRE, Case, Custody, Crime, Intelligence, Property, Missing Persons and Briefings can be converged as part of the programme in favour of a fully integrated records management system. 

 

4.2        As part of the SYP/Humberside IS shared service, opportunities across both estates were reviewed in order to standardise systems where possible.  As part of the process, five main programmes were created:  the ERP programme, contact management (refresh of telephony etc.), mobility (tough books and hand helds), the infrastructure programme (Outlook/Windows 7/business intelligence) and a further programme covering crime/intel.

 

4.3        A joint programme board was created to support the programme of which ACC Byrne is the Chair for south, ACC Lever for Humberside.  Other members include Chief Supt. Odell, Det. Supt. Abdy, Chief Supt. Barber, Jackie Bland, Kevin Priday, Jamie Smith and Paul Wainwright.  An initial task was to scope out Athena which other Forces were interested in, however SYP/Humberside decided not to pursue due to costs, tenure and functionality.  Following specifications for a desired programme being circulated, a six week evaluation will commence on 23rd February 2015 from five suppliers made up of written responses and practical demonstrations.  It is anticipated an award to a supplier will be made in June.   

 

 

5.         LOCAL CRIME & PCC POLICING PLAN

 

5.1        Summary of Year to Date Performance re. PCC Targets

 

            All crime stands at 6.5%.

 

ASB maintains a 4% increase.

 

Vehicle Crime has reduced to 4.1%. 

 

Violence with Injury has increased to 17.5%.

 

Shoplifting has reduced to 1.9%.

 

Other Sexual Offences have seen an increase to 64% (74 extra offences).   

 

Hate crime is up by 65.1%.

 

Domestic Crimes have seen a 1% increase to 26%.

 

Criminal Damage is up at 11.9%.

 

5.2        Forthcoming Events/Operations

 

            The Tour de Yorkshire will come through Barnsley town centre and out towards Cawthorne.  An update is awaited from Barnsley Council in respect of further details, however it is believed this will take place on the Bank Holiday Sunday May 3rd.    

 

 

6.         PROTECTION FROM SERIOUS HARM

 

6.1        Closed.

 

 

7.         DISTRICT MANAGEMENT/VALUE FOR MONEY

 

7.1        Update from Key Force Meetings

 

Flexible Working Meeting.  Information re. flexible working will be circulated to managers and an Intranet item will highlight the hierarchy of needs process.  Doncaster will be the first District to review flexible working applications, with Barnsley’s review taking place in March overseen by Supt. Ed Cooke from Humberside with input from Supt. Hemsley. 

 

Atlas Court staff will be supplied with a uniform.

 

Doncaster have disbanded their VCT Unit.  Chief Supt. Tweed reported that overall this had gone well, with minor issues around Sergeants call signs and car beats.

 

Chief Supt. Watson has raised the car beats issue with HQ.  Barnsley forwarded the updates to HQ for change from April, the maps have been returned however only the wards have been included and no car beats.  Tracey Potter has been requested to further update the map.    

 

Closed.

 

The Crime and Citizen Focus Tactical meetings will merge from 18 February 2015.  Supt. Hemsley will Chair the meeting, DCI Mahmood to deputise. Other representation has been established. 

 

An IAG meeting took place recently.  The theme for this quarter will be police volunteers and volunteering in general looking at community recruitment within the more diverse groups.  Action:  Chief Supt. Watson to attend the next IAG meeting.

 

Closed.

 

New processes will take effect from 2nd February 2015 around auto crime, burglary and making off.  Work is ongoing with supervisors as to how this will be shaped for Barnsley.  PCT will have primary attendance around all burglaries and auto crime, with the Cocooning Team being dis-established.   

 

CI Mahmood sought approval to create a link to Emergency Services and Berneslai Homes in respect of District’s current hot spot areas.  An e-mail would be circulated identifying hot spot areas in terms of crime and timelines requesting that if travelling through an area to bear in mind.   This initiative was agreed.

 

Performance Improvement Meeting & Ops & Performance.  District performance was discussed.  Although a bid was made by CI Hodgkinson for resources, this was vetoed. 

 

7.2        Closed.

 

7.3        Closed.

 

7.4        Closed.

 

7.5       Human Resource Issues

 

Establishment.  To be discussed within the Business Plan meeting.

 

Personnel & Welfare Issues.  Discussed.

 

Awards.  Nominations will be put forward for the British Association of Women’s Awards. 

 

7.6       Performance Visit Action Schedule

 

The Performance Visit took place on 19 January 2015.  Actions are awaited.

 

7.7        Audit Reports

 

            No items.

 

7.8       FIRST Internal Newsletter - Submissions

 

            Drink Drive Campaign.  District carried out 725 stops and breath tests, with Sheffield being the nearest District in terms of figures with 112 stops and breath tests, Doncaster carried out 58 and Rotherham 53.  The ending total for Barnsley by 31st December was in excess of 1,500 breath tests with over 10 arrests – no other District achieved more than 500 checks during the drink drive campaign.

 

7.9       Accommodation for PPU

 

            Helen Willey has requested additional space at Wombwell for a Domestic Violence Team.  Although she has been advised nothing is available at the moment, there is potential for the old DV Team office at Barnsley on the second floor to become available.

 

7.10      Accommodation Request from Victim Support

 

            Chief Supt. Odell and Joanna Fewkes have met with Victim Support re. the potential to co-locate three officers and one hot desk within Barnsley Police Station.  Action:  Mary Verity to request Lisa Ingham to determine the proportion of utility costs in respect of an office on the first floor of the Police Station.

 

 

8.         ANY OTHER BUSINESS

 

8.1       No items.

Date: 

Tuesday, 20 January, 2015 - 12:30