VFM Management Meeting

NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED

MINUTES

1. APOLOGIES -  None

 _________________________________________________________________

ATTENDEES  - Gilding, Sarah (SG) - Head of VFM, (Chair)
   Day, Dave (DD) – Senior Fleet Manager
   Buckley, Jo (JH) – Driver Services Manager
   Crawford , Don (DC) – Fleet Manager, Churchill Garage
   Lilley, Karen (KL) – Departmental HR Partner
   Kelly, Nicky (NK) – Operational Management Accountant
   Stockham, Andy (AS) – Fleet Manager, Doncaster Garage
   Stiles, Mandy (MS) – Administrator (Minutes)


2. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING AND ACTIONS
The minutes of the previous meeting on 21 May 2014 were approved as a true record.  The action schedule was reviewed and updated, see action schedule dated 18 June  2014. 

3. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE OPEN SESSION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
None.

4. DECLARATIONS OF ANY OTHER BUSINESS
• Work experience placement
• Brochure re fuel savings
• Environmental wipes
• NIPs
• Continuous improvement

5. DEPARTMENT STRUCTURE
5.1 Doncaster Closure
AS reported there were some issues outstanding i.e. removal of a skip and computer server equipment.  AS confirmed that one computer had been returned to IS.  SG confirmed that the site will be sold but in the meantime may be used for storage and that the meeting to sign off the move is still to be arranged.

AS reported there is still a problem at the Bodyshop with the telephone line requiring a stand alone internet connection.

6. FINANCE
6.1 Revenue and Capital Update
NK reported that salaries and employee costs are on target.  The overtime budget has been stripped out from April – July but will be back from July to the end of the year but with a 20% cut.  The Fleet recharges are a projection as they haven’t yet been done this month.  A new way of capturing all fuel costs up to and including 31 March for re-charging was tried at the end of the financial year and this has worked well, so we will continue using this method. Spend on vehicle parts and tyres is on course so far but it is very early in the year.  The Tranman project is still on going and not all costs are in yet.

 
6.2 Trading Accounts
NK reported that she will re-work the trading accounts now that Doncaster garage has closed and the work moved to Rotherham Garage.

6.3 Vehicle Replacement programme
6.3.1 Electric  vehicles
Ten electric vehicles have been purchased and will be distributed around the Force.

6.3.2 Recovery Vehicle
SG is still trying to obtain a second recovery vehicle but hasn’t identified one yet.

6.4 Winter Tyres
SCT has confirmed that they want  VFM to obtain winter tyres again this year.  The majority will be on Astras and on half of the X-Drives – almost the same numbers a before..SG will issue a proposed list shortly.

7. REGIONAL WORKING UPDATE
7.1 Tranman Upgrade
JB reported that the ‘booking in’ issue had been sorted now but she will continue to monitor this.  Inaccurate ODOs being entered has been a problem, because it distorts the scheduling.  JB will also continue to monitor this.

7.2 Fire Service
DC reported that recent MOTs for Fire Service vehicles have been done at a local garage using a purchasing card.  Now the garage has been trialled a call off order will be set up for further MOTs for Fire Service Vehicles.  Benefits are the location and ability to park and wait for the vehicles, along with price.

8. HUMAN RESOURCES
8.1 Diamond Review Update
Not discussed.

8.2 PDR’s
KL explained that as the process for PDRs had been changed, there are no figures available at the moment but VFM’s monitoring of PDR’s shows the majority are on course to being completed, although some are a little late. 

8.3  Sickness
KL is dealing with some issues that have been raised with her.  She stated she would review current cases and deal with them appropriately.

8.4 Cover at Churchill Way
A discussion took place about flexible working and cover for the Fleet Manager at Churchill Way.
It was agreed to have face to face discussions with all members of staff currently working compressed hours in order to discuss future options.

Action 1 – 18.06.14: Don Crawford to discuss future options with staff currently working compressed hours.

9. RISK REGISTERS AND BUSINESS CONTINUITY
Nothing to report.

10. PERFORMANCE
10.1 Force Performance
Nothing to report.

11.2 VFM Performance
JB presented information about services due / overdue according to staff availability in an effort to plan scheduled work in effectively.  JB illustrated a point, where the labour line on one job was added at the start of the job rather than booking on at the start of the job and off when the job is actually finished.  Technicians must input labour accurately.

Action 2 – 18.06.14:  Jo Buckley to provide the Fleet Managers with the details she has of the Technicians booking their time incorrectly and the details of all other performance data collected..

 DC reported that non-scheduled work was high at the moment.

11. EQUALITY AND DIVERSITY
Nothing to report.

12. STOCK CONTROL
A discussion took place about parts ordered but not fitted – action 3 21.05.14 relates.  It was agreed that the next stock take would take place  around September / October 2014.

13. SUSTAINABILITY

13.1 Eco Business Driving
Currently six training sessions have been arranged for June for members of staff who drive police vehicles. The first two sessions have taken place.  Feedback from one candidate was that they didn’t tell them anything they didn’t already know but it may make them think about improvements they can make.

13.2  Electric Vehicles
See Para 6.3.1. These vehicles are cheaper on ‘whole life costs’ than an Astra but are more expensive to buy.  The savings come from decreased fuel costs. Free charging points will be fitted around the Force area by British Gas,.  A full charge for a vehicle will cost around £2.50.  We will monitor the MPG of these vehicles via Tranman.  A discussion took place about how electricity usage could be monitored.  SG is waiting for final details from Vauxhall on training, maintenance etc. there is a life time warranty up to 60,000 miles, but we need to look at what happens after that.

14. INTEGRITY
14.1  FIRST Intranet site
The HMIC inspection took place this week.  SG thanked everyone for the work they have done in completing NCALT courses, especially ’Without Fear or Favour’ which everyone in the Department has now completed.
 

14.2 Integrity Action Plan
SG reported that more work needs to be done on this and we must ensure that everyone  in the Department has considered the Policy.

15. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
15.1 Work Experience Placement
DC reported that he had arranged via HR for a candidate to spend 2 days a week on a work experience placement within the mechanical side of Churchill Garage.  This will take place from September 2014 to July 2015.

15.2  Brochure re fuel savings
DC had been approached by a company who were promoting a fuel additive product which was said to deliver fuel savings.  SG reported that North Yorkshire Police are doing some testing on this type of product.

15.3  Environmental Wipes
DC has tested some environmental wipes on recommendation of the Sustainability Manager but they appear to be just the same as the ones already in use.

15.4  NIPs
JB was concerned that the pool car spreadsheet was not being updated.  A discussion took place about this.

Action 3 - 18.06.14: Fleet Manager to ensure the pool car spreadsheet is completed without fail.

15.5  Continuous Improvement
DD provided feedback from the recent meeting.

Action 4 - 18.06.14: Mandy Stiles to set up a new section on the Department Website for ‘Continuous Improvement’.

Date of next meeting: 9.30am Wednesday 16 July 2014, in the VFM conference room.


 

Date: 

Wednesday, 18 June, 2014 - 09:30