Road Traffic Collisions

If you're involved in a minor collision, no injury is caused to anyone involved in the collision, and all parties have exchanged details, then there is no requirement to report this to the police. 

You should contact your insurance company and provide them with the third party’s details so they can deal with the collision on your behalf.

If you are the driver of a mechanically propelled vehicle (car, motor cycle, bus,  etc.) that is involved in an accident on a road or public place and

  • A person, other than yourself, is injured
  • Damage has been to another vehicle or to someone else’s property – including street lamps, signs, bollards etc.
  • An animal, other than one in your own vehicle/trailer, has been killed or injured (animal means any horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog)

You must stop and provide your details and in some cases produce your insurance certificate.  If you do not you must report the matter to the police – it is against the law not to.

Some car parks can be classed as public places, eg supermarket and some multi story car parks.  However, car parks belonging to private organisations where a member of the public would not ordinarily be permitted are not classed as public places and accidents occurring there should be reported directly to your insurance company.

If you are an Insurance company and need to request collision records, please click on the link below for information.

Road Traffic Collisions

If you need to contact the police to report a road traffic collision call 101 or 999 in an emergency.