Vehicle Fleet Management Team Meeting

NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED

VFM Management Meeting

MINUTES


1. APOLOGIES:  Hawley, Louise (LH) – Operational Management Accountant
                        Lilley, Karen (KL) – Departmental HR Partner

 _________________________________________________________________

ATTENDEES: 

  Gilding, Sarah (SG) - Head of VFM , (Chair)
  Buckley, Jo (JH) – Driver Services Manager
  Stockham, Andy (AS) – Fleet Manager, Doncaster Garage
  Crawford , Don (DC) – Fleet Manager, Churchill Garage
  Day, Dave (DD) – Senior Fleet Manager
  Stiles, Mandy (MS) – Administrator (Minutes)


2. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING AND ACTIONS
The minutes of the previous meeting on 18 March 2015 were approved as a true record. The action schedule was reviewed and updated, see action schedule dated 15 April 2014.

Action 1 - 15.04.2015: Andy Stockham to contact GTA in order to set up some training on airbrakes.
 

3. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE OPEN SESSION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
None.


4. DECLARATIONS OF ANY OTHER BUSINESS
• Retirement
• CBRN Trailers
• Request for a Laptop
• LED Lights
• Recovery Truck
• Trailers


5. FINANCE
5.1 Revenue and Capital Update
SG reported that at the end of the Financial Year VFM had an under spend of £121,000.  This is due to £40,000 additional income from vehicle sales, an under spend of £107,000 on vehicle parts due to lower than anticipated spend and further small under spends on fuel and cycles.

5.2 Trading Accounts
None produced.

5.3 Capital Vehicle Replacement / New Vehicle Framework
£30,000 underspent due to vehicles ordered that have not been delivered on time.  All have been accounted for on the vehicle replacement programme.


6. REGIONAL WORKING UPDATE
6.1Tranman Upgrade
Nothing new to report.
SG asked if anyone had any issues with Tranman.  DC reported that there is a touch screen in the workshop which needs lowering.  Still waiting for this to be done, the request has been on Atrium for some time.

6.2 Strategic Partnership
SG reminded everyone that Nigel Hiller is currently covering across both Forces, while his opposite number at Humberside  Phil Goatley leads the Strategic Partnership Review project across both Forces. 1st May will see the first meeting of this new group.  Humberside fleet are now a limited company with the Fire Service.  SG reported that OSS were moving forward with their alliance and working groups will be looking at the fleet in order to make OSS vehicles multi-purpose.


7. HUMAN RESOURCES
7.1 PDR’s
SG reminded everyone that all PDRs are due and must reach HR before the end of May 2015.

7.2  Sickness
No figures available.

7.3 Apprentices
A discussion took place about Apprentices and although the timing is right with regard to recruiting apprentices it was agreed to see what happens with VER. There is currently a freeze on filling posts while VER is in place.

Action 2 – 15.04.2015: Sarah Gilding to contact Karen Lilley about whether recruiting Apprentices is possible due to the current position with VER.

7.4 VER
A separate meeting has been arranged to discuss a number of applications that have been received.

7.5 Training
DC reported that the new BMW motorbikes are belt driven and the MVTs have asked for training on this.  BMW’s Bracknell centre is the only place this training is available.  AS reported that a welding course for the new type of metals that now appear on new vehicles is also required and Vauxhall ‘Gold’ Training is also required for some MVTs.

Action 3 – 15.04.2015: Mandy Stiles to arrange a meeting in Managers diaries to plan for what training is required within the Department. Meeting to take place after 3 June when decisions will have been made with regard to VER.

Action 4 – 15.04.2015: All Managers to collate data on what training they feel staff require, who can provide it and the cost etc. and bring this information to the above meeting.


8. RISK REGISTERS AND BUSINESS CONTINUITY
8.1 BMW – 330 X Drive
One of the x-drives is going to BMW in Farnborough tomorrow for testing.  Once feedback is available from this,  further discussion will need to take place to agree the next steps.  AS raised the issue of the tyre pressures on vehicles and the problems with the tyre pressure gauge at Maltby.  DC reported that the problems had been rectified and that he had the calibration certificate for the gauge at Maltby.

8.2 Garage Equipment Maintenance Contract
SG reported the current contract finishes on 16 May 2015.  Regional Procurement will send letters out to our current contractors to let them know we will not be renewing.  We need to have a plan in place by 16 May so 3 quotes must be obtained from different companies who carry out garage equipment maintenance.

Action 5 – 15.04.2015: Jo Buckley to co-ordinate obtaining 3 quotes for companies for the maintenance of our garage equipment.


9. PERFORMANCE
9.1 Force Performance
Nothing to report.

9.2 VFM Performance
The current position with services was discussed.  Fleet availability has gone from 90% to 94% which is due to getting the job cards in at the end of the financial year.  This will be implemented at the end of each month in an effort to improve this situation.

9.3 Fleet News Award Update
SYP was the winner of the Fleet of the Year award (250-1000 vehicle) category at the Fleet News Award 2015.  SG attended the Fleet News award ceremony with NH and was honoured to receive the award on behalf of South Yorkshire Police.


10. EQUALITY AND DIVERSITY
Nothing to report.


11. STOCK CONTROL
The year-end went smoothly with minimal errors.  Value and error numbers wise the year end position was much improved.  It was agreed to complete a formal stock take in 6 months’ time. JB is aiming to put in place mini stock takes each month that storekeepers will conduct themselves.  Changes will not be made on the system for those checks that the storekeepers do themselves.


12. SUSTAINABILITY
12.1 Environmental Audit
Formal feedback has not been received from this yet but SG reported that it hadn’t gone well and that we must tighten up on the procedures and rectifying the issues raised.  The report will be circulated once received.  SG has contacted the Sustainability Manager and FM with regard to the unemptied bins.


13. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
13.1 Retirement
SG said a big thank you to DD for the years he has worked within VFM and said that he would really be missed. DD responded and thanked everyone for their help and professionalism over the years.

13.2 CBRN Trailers
DD reported that all the CBRN trailers are now stored at the Fire Station at Fitzwilliam Road in Rotherham.  Mark Darlison from OSS has been across to do some training with the Technicians there and has spoken to them about a service level agreement.  Due to this being a working Fire Station it has been agreed that the CBRN trailers must always enter and exit through the doors at the back of the building, never the front doors. This agreement has been made formally with OSS via Debbie Davis, Business Manager, Insp Mark Johnson and PC Mark Darlison. 

13.3 Request for a Laptop
AS requested a laptop with Windows 7 installed.  SG suggested in the first instance to look at one we already have within the Department.

13.4 LED lights
AS reported that the LED lights that have been fitted in the Workshop side of the garage at Rotherham are a big improvement, are cheaper to run and less maintenance.  AS said he would send positive feedback to Derek Steele and suggest this is rolled out to Churchill Way garage too.

Action 6 – 15.04.2015: Andy Stockahm to contact Derek Steele with the positive feedback on the LED lighting at Rotherham Garage and make arrangements for this to be rolled out to Churchill Way Garage.

13.5 Recovery Truck
DC reported that Zurich had been in today and they had put the winch on the recovery truck.  Straps are already in place.

13.6 Trailers
DC reported that trailers need to be reviewed both in regard to what they are being used for and the frequency of servicing, which is currently every 6 months.  DC said there was one trailer in the yard that had not been collected since it was last serviced.  SG agreed to the review, starting with the one currently in the yard at Churchill Way.

Action 7 – 15.04.2015:Don Crawford to provide details on the trailers that are not being used.


Date of next meeting: 9.30am Wednesday 20 May 2015, in the VFM conference room.

 

Date: 

Wednesday, 15 April, 2015 - 09:30