Barnsley District Command Team Meeting - 4 April 2013

In Attendance:  Chief Superintendent Andy Brooke (Chair)
DCI Mark Wilkie, Crime Manager
A/Chief Inspector Simon Wanless, Ops
Evans Chisala, Operational Management Accountant
Mary Verity, Business Manager
A/PS Gavin Kerr, Staff Officer
Inspector Richard Burgess, Support

Apologies:  Superintendent Liz Watson, Operations
Heather Askwith, HR Operational Partner

Copy to:  Rachel Lilley, Barnsley District Liaison Officer
Sam Mawson, Stacey Boote, Gemma Bartholomew-Kenyon, Comms Officers
Caroline England-Woodcock, Senior Communications Officer
CI Andy Hodgkinson, Response


1. APOLOGIES

1.1 As above.


2. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING & MATTERS ARISING

2.1 The minutes of the last meeting dated 5 February 2013 were agreed as an accurate record.


3. ACTIONS FROM LAST MEETING

3.1 Talent Management. Chief Supt. Brooke to capture the findings from the Talent Management  meeting on an Action Plan.  Ongoing.

3.2 Leaders in Action Away Days. Improving Organisational Change Action Plan to be discussed at the next Command Team meeting.  Completed.  Discharged.

 Workshop on Hate Crime and Continuous Improvement Benchmarking to be combined with the iPolicing meeting on 14.02.13.  Progressed.  Discharged.

3.3 Overtime Budgets.  Evans Chisala to circulate details of the overtime budgets so that the budgets for Uniform and CID can be reviewed and determined.  Discussion took place around Re-active CIDs year-on-year overspend.  Although extra funding has not been allocated, contingencies have been put in place; other potential savings will be discussed outside the meeting.  Discharged.

3.4 Test Purchase Unit.  Chief Supt. Brooke to be advised of the request for an officer from District to form part of the Unit so he can discuss further with Detective Supt. Abdy.  Four officers will form part of the Unit – should a Barnsley officer be successful following interview, then Chief Supt. Brooke will transfer the officer and budget to HQ.  If there are no officers from Barnsley selected, the budget will not be transferred until a vacancy can be transferred.  Discharged.

 HR meeting to be arranged to discuss uniform staffing in general.  Ongoing.

3.5 CYPOs.  Inspector Wanless to seek the views of PS Pursley, Inspectors Mitchell and Barber.  Although a PCSO and PC is currently aligned to schools, it was felt a more structured       process would be for the SNT Sergeants to link in with the larger Academies to hold regular meetings with PCSO support.  As the Command Team will be discussing SNAs during April, this item will form part of the debate.  Should Academies be interested in part funding police officers within schools, then District would be receptive to discussions.  Discharged.


4. HR POLICY FRAMEWORK

4.1 Kim Williams and Sarah Wilson updated the Command Team in relation to the simplification of the HR Policy framework and how this will be more readily accessible for supervisors and staff to utilise.  This in due course may also include being available externally for officers to view at home.  The new Intranet framework was demonstrated and is much easier to navigate with each section containing the appropriate forms that officers need to submit.

4.2 Discussion took place in relation to current HR developments; Kim and Sarah were thanked for their presentation.


5. INTELLIGENCE RESTRUCTURE UPDATE

5.1 DCI Mark Foster updated the team in relation to the ongoing review of Intelligence and highlighted that a document would be submitted to District Commanders in preparation for the forthcoming South Yorkshire Policing Board prior to the report going to the Diamond Programme for consideration.  A discussion took place in relation to each element of the Intelligence structure and considerations in relation to centralisation-v-localisation.  The Barnsley Command Team are keen to ensure that staff are fully consulted in relation to potential changes to their working conditions and location and also that the CID Implementation Team carefully review processes to ensure these are fit for District purposes.  

5.2 DCI Mark Foster was thanked for his time and presentation.


6. LOCAL CRIME & POLICING

6.1 SPO & Daily Summary re. PRC Targets

An overall review of targets for the year was discussed.  The PCC’s plan around reducing crime, ASB, raising visibility and vulnerable people priorities will be reflected in the Command Team meeting agenda headings. 

6.2 Forthcoming Events/Operations

 The Wombwell Horse Fair will take place in April 2013. 

 On 27.04.13 the Barnsley-v-Hull match will take place – this is classed as a high risk fixture. 

 On 22.06.13 a Barnsley Live music festival will take place – planning is in the early stages.

 Closed.
 

7. Closed


8. DISTRICT MANAGEMENT/VALUE FOR MONEY

8.1 Update from Key Force Meetings

PCC’s Plan.  Following the current savings requirement of 20% over 4 years, there will be a possible requirement to make a further two 5% additional savings for the next 2 years. 

Ops, Performance & Tasking Meeting.  All Districts are required to run an Optimal Forager and Marjoram (auto crime) Operations. 

The PCCs targets for crime reduction were scrutinised; the target over the next 3 years will be to reduce crime by greater than the National average of all Forces. 

Crime Conference.  The conference revolved around the new CID structures and the officer displacements.  

8.2 OMA Financial Commentary

Overview.  The PCCs budget will be discussed within the Business Plan meeting.  It has been requested that all contributions to external bodies or partners should be directed through the PCCs office.

Efficiency Savings.  All planned savings have been achieved.

Modernisation Plans.  No items.

8.3 Risk Register

 All are up-to-date.

Business Continuity.  No items.

8.4 Business Plan

Business Plan Projects.  Action:  Mary Verity will meet with Chief Supt. Brooke to discuss the projects.

8.5 Human Resource Issues

Establishment.  Deferred to the next meeting.

Personnel & Welfare Issues.  Deferred to the next meeting.

 Awards.  No items.

8.6 Performance Visit Action Schedule

Not discussed.

8.7 Audit Reports

 No issues.

8.8 Licensing Officer

 Inspector Glen Suttenwood has been requested to identify a suitable replacement in advance of Kirsty Green’s maternity leave.  Action:  A/CI Wanless to liaise with Inspector Suttenwood in respect of a temporary back fill.

8.9 CID Development Opportunities

 There are a lack of applications for TI posts with the possible reasons for this discussed.  Chief Supt. Brooke authorised that 2 uniformed officers from either the Response Teams or SNAs would be attached to the Performance Crime Team for a 6 month period on a date to be fixed. 


9. ANY OTHER BUSINESS

9.1 No items.

 


 

 

 

Date: 

Thursday, 4 April, 2013 - 10:00