Vehicle Fleet Management Team Meeting

MINUTES

1. APOLOGIES Barnfield Nicola (NB) - Departmental Personnel Manager
__________________________________________________________________________

ATTENDEES  -  Gilding, Sarah (SG) - Head of VFM (Chair)
   Anderson, Steve (SA) – Fleet Manager, Bodyshop
   Kelly, Nicky (NK) – Operational Management Accountant
   Buckley, Jo (JH) – Driver Services Manager
   Crawford, Don (DC) – Fleet Manager, Churchill Garage
   Day, Dave (DD) – Senior Fleet Manager, Bodyshop & Commissioning
   Stockham, Andy (AS) – Fleet Manager, Doncaster Garage
   Stiles, Mandy (MS) – Administrator (Minutes)

2. OPEN SESSION


3. STANDING ITEMS

3.1 Minutes of previous meeting and actions    
The minutes of the previous meeting were approved as a true record.  The action schedule was reviewed and updated, see action schedule dated 16-10-12.
 
3.2 Matters arising from the Open Session of previous minutes
   
None.

3.3 Declarations of Any Other Business
• Technical Bulletins
• Winter Tyres

3.4 Finance  
NK reported that we are now projecting a £39,000 over spend, in line with last month.  SCT have asked that all vacant posts are surrendered and will shortly be contacting OMA’s and Operational Partners to obtain this information.   Posts in the process of being filled are OK but those being held open pending the outcome of a  review may have to be surrendered.  NK has a return to complete for workforce planning for all vacant posts and it could follow that the budget for these posts could be stripped out.  We currently have a number of vacant posts, Business Manager – the review is due to report by the end of October, Driver Coordinator – we have a valid reason why this post is currently vacant and it is currently being filled on a temporary basis and a Band A business support post which has a temporary member of staff in post.  NK stated that if the budget for any posts was to be stripped out, it would increase our overspend.

NK reported that the scheme brief for Tranman has been approved now.  NH has agreed to the additional capital costs. Corporate Finance have asked NK to identify the saving from this spend to save project which were deemed to be £60,000.  SG explained that the savings indicated were £115,000 for Humberside and SYP jointly, so £57,500 was down to SYP as a Force saving not solely a VFM saving which was made up as follows: 1 FTE from VFM , 0.5 FTE in Corporate Finance and some from the Insurance Unit and Information Systems who will need to look at their processes.

NK reported that next years budget must be fully profiled by the end of November 2012, which is earlier then usual but is as a result of the Police and Crime Commissioners being introduced.

NK reported that recharges are really low.  More work needs to be done in order to make things balance.  The budget was set based on February 2012 recharges but we are not now getting income from some of these vehicles, resulting in £100,000 less income from recharges.

SG reported that she had submitted a 5 year capital programme for 2013/14 onwards to D Carrington yesterday.  In terms of 2012/13 there are OSS,  PSU vehicles, a post van, Training and some CID vehicles to consult with Districts and Departments on and then move on to the 2013/14 replacement programme.  SG said she would send a copy of the 2013/14 replacement programme out to the Management Team for their reference.


3.4.1 Trading Accounts 
Not discussed.


3.5 Business Planning  
     
3.5.1 Risk Register
The last quarterly risk register and business continuity meeting had to be cancelled as a number of people were unable to attend.

3.5.2    Business Continuity        
Plans for each workshop have been produced but two of the Managers were not certain if the plans had been uploaded to the BC Website.

Action – 1 – 16.10.12: Mandy Stiles to e-mail Eric Mirfin to check which business continuity plans are currently on the system and to confirm how often they should be reviewed.

Content for the grab bags needs to be reviewed and then can be placed in their respective locations.

3.6 Human Resources    
SG had not received an update from NB.  SG reported that good progress had been made with completing PDRs since last month. Of those still outstanding one was on long term sick, the remainder should be completed by the end of this month.

3.7 Performance
Not discussed.

3.8 Stock Control         
SG reported that 100% stock takes were completed at the end of September, which resulted in small discrepancies at each workshop but overall this was a good result.  However, there is room for improvement and it was thought this could be achieved with improved house keeping in the stores.

The next 100% stock take is planned for January 2013 on a date to be agreed.

SG to finalise the list of items identified for disposal.  DC said he had a couple more to add to the list.

Action 2 – 16.10.12: Don Crawford to let Sarah Gilding have the details of the last few items for disposal so that she can finalise the list and  send it through to Nigel Hiller for his approval to dispose.
     
3.9 Regionalisation / Collaboration Update       
Regional procurement are progressing with tying up loose ends to formulate the Tranman project.  This should enable us to place the order by the end of December.  SG reported that when North Yorkshire Police upgraded their Tranman system, it was done section by section, so they could ensure each part was running properly before the next part was introduced.  It was agreed to look at who we need on the implementation team and then arrange to look at the processes North Yorkshire have in place.

SG stated that the report about merging SYP and Humberside had not been done yet.


4. ANY OTHER BUSINESS  
4.1 Technical Bulletins

SA asked why Technical Bulletins were no longer being sent through to the Bodyshop.  He only gets Volvo’s Newsletter. It was noted that updates now come via the diagnostic soft wear updates and via the internet.  SA was advised to contact Ricky Stott or contact Chris Angel at Vauxhall.

4.2 Winter Tyres
SA asked if winter tyres were going to be fitted again?  It was agreed this would take place but some work on what we have available needs to be done first.

Action 3 – 16.10.12: Don Crawford to provide Steve Anderson with a list of what winter tyres are held at Churchill Way.  Steve Anderson to ascertain how many sets of tyres we have available from the stock held at Churchill and the Bodyshop and provide this detail in a list to Sarah Gilding.  Sarah Gilding to write out to Districts to let them know how many sets of winter tyres we have which can be fitted to their vehicles.  Districts can then decide which vehicles they want them to be fitted to.


 

Date and time of next meeting
1.30pm on Thursday 22 November 2012, VFM Conference Room, Unit 17, Churchill Way

Date: 

Tuesday, 16 October, 2012 - 10:30