Vehicle Fleet Management Team Meeting

MINUTES

1. APOLOGIES - Stockham, Andy (AS) – Fleet Manager, Doncaster Garage
  Barnfield Nicola (NB) - Departmental Personnel Manager
__________________________________________________________________________

ATTENDEES -  Gilding, Sarah (SG) - Head of VFM (Chair)
  Anderson, Steve (SA) – Fleet Manager, Bodyshop
  Kelly, Nicky (NK) – Operational Management Accountant
  Buckley, Jo (JH) – Driver Services Manager
  Crawford, Don (DC) – Fleet Manager, Churchill Garage
  Day, Dave (DD) – Senior Fleet Manager, Bodyshop & Commissioning
  Stiles, Mandy (MS) – Administrator (Minutes)

2. OPEN SESSION


3. STANDING ITEMS

3.1 Minutes of previous meeting and actions    
The minutes of the previous meeting were approved as a true record.  The action schedule was reviewed and updated, see action schedule dated 18-09-12.
 
3.2 Matters arising from the Open Session of previous minutes   
None.

3.3 Declarations of Any Other Business
• Technical Meeting - Service Schedules
• Mercedes Sprinter 12 plate
• BMW
• FAB Recycling

3.4 Finance  
NK reported that we were still projecting an overspend which is now at £35,000.  It was noted that the fuel budget had not broken even in August, which could be due to a price miss-match – buying high and selling low.  Cost of parts and tyres has increased.  There are some blips in the figures, some of which is due to miss coding but this will be sorted out for next month.  NK reported that the budget had not been reconciled yet this year.  NK stated that she had set up a new spreadsheet to record budget expenditure.  This will aid budget setting and monitoring and will automatically feed through for reconciliations and accruals, which will reduce the Finance Officers workload and reduce clerk’s time, as they will not need to do separate batches for each garage etc.   The Finance Officer will move the information from the current September spreadsheets into the new on and the admin clerks will start to use the new spreadsheet from tomorrow.
NK has completed a first draft of the pay budget for next year but needs to have further discussions on what the long term plans are in order to inform the process. 
NK has had sight of a paper on vacant posts, where if there are no plans to fill them,  to delete the post and cash in the savings now, which if it goes ahead will have the effect of increasing the overspend for the Department.
        
3.5.1 Trading Accounts 
NK has asked the Finance Officer to journal some postings into the correct cost centres in order to put the trading accounts straight.       
The labour rate may change slightly as we are looking at changing productivity element.  NK has started work on setting up the labour rate for next year so that it will automatically recalculate on 1 April each year.
 
 Business Planning 
       
3.4.1 Risk Register
Nothing further to report.  The quarterly meeting will be re-arranged.

3.4.2 Business Continuity        
Eric Mirfin has reported that indications are that a fuel strike could take place later this year.  JB said she had a business continuity plan for this eventuality.  JB to send this to SG for her information.

3.5 Human Resources – update from Nicola Barnfield    
SG said she would be meeting with NB on Thursday.  SG encouraged managers who were dealing with incapacity cases to link in with NB for advice and guidance. NB has asked for an update on the training plan:
Merridale training -  still required but this needs to take place at the point Lindsey is back from maternity leave.
Tranman training – will be required when we get the new system, which should start in this financial year.
Vauxhall training – Some is scheduled for the beginning of October for 3 people.
VOSA Training – For A Saxton and D Herrington is scheduled for the middle of October.
SA to speak to AS with regard to Vauxhall training and transporter training for Bodyshop staff.

3.6 Performance         
Vehicle availability – Churchill Way garage is still achieving the target.  There continues to be slight dips at Doncaster but this is down to the way they work in this particular garage.  Bodyshop is doing well.

KPIs – It was noted that Jobcard input is back to 27 hours.

PDRs – It was noted that the report still isn’t right.  It would be better if it showed the percentage outstanding in the month.

3.7 Stock Control         
A stock take is scheduled for the end of the month.  DD has offered to do the Commissioning stock take on Thursday with Glyn.  DC and JB will do the stock take for Churchill Way garage on Saturday and the Bodyshop will be done on Friday by JB and SA.
      
3.8 Regionalisation / Collaboration Update       
As reported last month, collaboration between North Yorkshire, West Yorkshire and Humberside Forces continues, in an effort to standardise and make savings. Further work is still taking place between South Yorkshire and Humberside to look at the feasibility and benefits of merging Fleet and Facilities between the two Forces.  The business case would need to be agreed by the joint Command Teams first.  There is no date scheduled for that yet.


4 ANY OTHER BUSINESS  
4.1 Technical Meeting - Service Schedules

A separate meeting is required to discuss service schedules.  NH had queried how moving to 20,000 mile servicing, sits with manufacturers recommendation, which needs to be discussed further.  MS to arrange a separate 2 hour meeting for this to include SG, AS, DC, DD, SA and JD.

4.2 Mercedes Sprinter 12 Plate
The riot shield fell off whilst the vehicle was travelling on the motorway.  The bottom bolt had come off and the riot shield went straight over the vehicle.  We are in the process of doing the recalls now.  The Bodyshop is in the process of lock tightening and bolting riot shield.  There are five vehicles to do but they should all be completed this week.  It was agreed that we should bill the company who commissioned these vehicles for the cost of rectification.  DD and SA are taking this up with them.

4.3 BMW
Peter Emson and Nathan from BMW will speak with Don about what is on offer to SYP.

4.4 FAB Recycling
One of the new 61 plates has been burnt out.  It happened when 2 officers were inside a house taking a statement.  When they came back to the vehicle, it was on fire.  A replacement vehicle will need to be ordered for this.
 

5 CLOSED SESSION


Date and time of next meeting
9.30 am on Tuesday 16 October 2012, PSD Conference Room 3, Unit 20, Churchill Way.   

Date: 

Tuesday, 18 September, 2012 - 14:30