Vehicle Fleet Management Team Meeting

MINUTES

1.APOLOGIES - None
__________________________________________________________________________

ATTENDEES -  Whysall, Martin – Head of Vehicle Fleet Management - Chair
  Barnett, Alan – Operational Management Accountant
  Saxton, Adrian – Senior Fleet Manager, Churchill & Doncaster
  Gilding, Sarah – Business Manager for VFM and PSD
  Day, Dave – Senior Fleet Manager, Bodyshop & Commissioning
  Wilson, Joy – Business Support Officer, VFM & PSD
  Greenfield, Rachael – Departmental Personnel Manager
  Stiles, Mandy – Administration Assistant – Minutes
  Dan Lennox – BCD

2. OPEN SESSION

2.1 Project Monitoring - Daniel Lennox from BCD
DL explained that Risk Management software was purchased last November which coincided with the Diamond Board structure now in place.  Because there were many projects that report into this Board the decision was made to purchase Project Monitoring software, which is due to go live on 1 May 2011.

DL demonstrated the basics of the system and provided each of the Management Team with a Quick Reference Guide.  Sarah Gilding and Joanne Hinchliffe will be having Administrator Training next week.     

3. STANDING ITEMS

3.1 Minutes of previous meeting and actions    
The minutes of the previous meeting were approved as a true record.  The action schedule was reviewed and updated, see action schedule dated 21.04.11.
 

3.2 Matters arising from the Open Session of previous minutes
None.


3.3 Declarations of Any Other Business 
•GIST - SG
•Where we are with asset write offs - SG

3.4 Department Structure        
SG handed out a revised draft department structure (version 2) for discussion and comment before she takes it to a meeting with NH next Tuesday afternoon.  All comments to SG by first thing on Tuesday morning (26.04.11) to enable her to produce version 3.

3.5 Finance 
AB reported that the Revenue monitoring report did not look good in month but this was due to redundancy payments coming out for those who left on VER at the end of March 2011.  This resulted in a £209,000 overspend at year end.  On the Budget/Actual accounts the drivers budget is out but this is because we started to charge for services but the budget was not moved.


3.5.1 Trading Accounts        
AB reported that all Departments made a profit in the last year but we will need to look at labour rates again and also at issues of timing, i.e. the way the accounts are put together.  Historically from an accounts point of view we have never had to report on month one but this year we have been asked to report on pay only for month one.

3.5.2  OMA Issues – Financial Commentary      
•Emerging Issues
•Proposed Actions to be Taken
•Progress on Agreed Actions
•Other Financial Issues

3.6 Business Planning        
Nothing to report.

3.7 Personnel           
A concerted effort needs to be made to get PDRs, NCALT courses and AA1 certificates up to date before the Corporate Health check in May.

RG reminded managers that if there were any further carry forwards of annual leave in excess of 5 days from the 2010/11 leave year, requests must be sent to her for consideration and not sent direct to the GRS team. 

RG also stated that the GRS team are inundated with work at the moment and that we need to be patient with regard to the answering of queries.  SG was concerned that VFM line managers are not clear about updating abstractions and what areas the GRS team were responsible for updating and what the line managers need to be updating. ADMIN 37s must still be completed and sent to Personnel but it is the line managers responsibility to put periods of sickness as an abstraction on GRS.  Permanent changes to shift patterns are done by the GRS team.

JW asked about the lists we receive for NCALT course completions and that they contain people who have left the Department.  It was agreed that we must notify Ashley Hall of any changes.

3.8 Risk Registers & Business Continuity     
The risk registers have been updated recently and a separate meeting is required in order to update business continuity.

3.9 Performance         
Vehicle availability is very good but vehicle turn round times for external vehicle repairs have not been met but unfortunately we don’t have any control over this. The receipt of jobcards after completion by the technician had gone to amber but it was due to a misunderstanding about the collection of post from Rotherham and Doncaster Garages and there was almost a week where the mail bags weren’t being collected but this was back on track now.

AB reported that over the next month he will be reviewing the percentage downtime on the logging of technicians time.  It was agreed that this exercise would continue.

3.10 Equality and Diversity        
Nothing to report.

3.11 Stock Control
MW reported that the year-end stock take was good in terms of the amount of discrepancies and that running stock checks on a monthly basis has proved beneficial. 
AB stated that we are still working on moving obsolete stock and that in future it would be dealt with on a quarterly basis.

Action 1 – 21.04.11: Martin Whysall to speak with Steve White with regard to putting together a Crystal report to identify from our fleet, the make and model of vehicles, split by workshop in order to give an insight as to what vehicle parts will be needed in future, so that we are ordering the right stock.

AB reported that he had been working on fuel and the usage in year has gone down by 7% compared to the previous year but the costs have gone up.  AB will have a schedule / graph to back this up for the Corporate Health Check.  With regard to stock control, AB is trying to link movements of vehicles to budgets and actuals and has done a review of the  £75, year on year. This has come down by 28 vehicles and he is now trying to reconcile what this represents.

3.12 Sustainability  
MW and SG are working with the Sustainability Manager on this and have recently provided a report on reductions in CO2 levels.  It was noted that the cycle to work scheme had started this month.

       
4. ANY OTHER BUSINESS        
4.1 GIST

SG asked AS if there was anything in place with SCM for this. AS said that what was in place had been set up by John Keys.  It was agreed that SG would contact SCM in order to progress setting up a contract with GIST.

  Action 2 – 21.04.11: Sarah Gilding to contact SCM in order to progress setting up a contract with GIST. 

Date: 

Thursday, 21 April, 2011 - 09:30