Vehicle Fleet Management Team Meeting

MINUTES

1.APOLOGIES - Greenfield, Rachael – Departmental Personnel Manager
  Saxton, Adrian – Senior Fleet Manager, Churchill & Doncaster 
___________________________________________________________

ATTENDEES -  Whysall, Martin – Head of Vehicle Fleet Management - Chair
  Barnett, Alan – Operational Management Accountant
  Day, Dave – Senior Fleet Manager, Bodyshop & Commissioning
  Gilding, Sarah – Business Manager for VFM and PSD
  Wilson, Joy – Business Support Officer, VFM & PSD
  Stiles, Mandy – Administration Assistant - Minutes

2. OPEN SESSION


3.STANDING ITEMS

3.1 Minutes of previous meeting and actions    
The minutes of the previous meeting were approved as a true record.  The action schedule was reviewed and updated, see action schedule dated 18.01.11.

 
3.2 Matters arising from the Open Session of previous minutes
AB reported that Sheffield District have claimed some of their driver posts as savings.

AB asked if there was any benefit from the capital and commissioning meeting held last week.  MW reported that it was early days yet but that further meetings had been set up to take place just before month end.   


3.3 Declarations of Any Other Business
•Regionalisation
 

3.4 Department Structure        
Voluntary Early Redundancy will have an impact on our structure.  Will Lambert from Humberside Police is coming to see Martin on Thursday to discuss how we can work better together and to see if we can benefit from economies of scales between the two forces.


3.5 Finance
AB talked through the revenue monitoring report and in month we are slightly down on income.  This is mainly due to there being a lot of insurance cases open.  The projected outturn is at £74,000 extra income and linked to this the savings schedule for next year of 5%, which was accepted but this has now increased and we have agreed to give £70,000 of the extra income over.

DD reported that the kitchen refurbishment at the Bodyshop was in progress but they still need to purchase a cooker to complete this work. 
 
       
3.5.1 Trading Accounts        
AB reported that in month there was a small loss at Doncaster and Churchill Way (due to leave taken over the Christmas period) but the year to date is looking OK.  The budget against actual is £100,000 up mostly due to insurance claims but also seeing a improvement from the payroll side from posts not filled and the two staff who have taken flexible early retirement.

3.5.2  OMA Issues – Financial Commentary      
•Emerging Issues
AB explained that the recharge for fuel is currently at 3%, he queried whether this should be reviewed or not. 
•Proposed Actions to be Taken
A discussion took place and it was agreed to reduce the fuel recharge to 2% from 1 February 2011 and look at it again next month.
•Progress on Agreed Actions
•Other Financial Issues
On the revenue monitoring report,  on account 3220 - vehicle licences, the figure on there isn’t correct.  We had an imprest system everything has been going in and out. This has now been split out and this cost will drop by £3,000 - £4,000.  The money that we pay out to DVLA which is refunded back will now sit out on the balance sheet.

At a meeting AB went to just before Christmas The OMAs reported that teams within their District and Department spend a lot of time/resource checking the vehicle leasing and vehicle  fuel.  AB told them that we could do that for them as long as they provide the information.  SG commented that this was stated in the audit report but officers must supply the information that is required and this would in turn save resource in checking the information.


3.6 Business Planning        
MW stated that the Lib Dem party conference takes place 11 - 13 March and we need to ensure that as much of the fleet as possible is on the road (especially LDVs and Sprinters).  MW commented that 5 new Sprinters were on their way to us (approx 6 weeks) and that if the vehicles they replace are still ‘living’ vehicles, to keep them just to give a bit of a buffer. The plan is to put extra staff on, on the Friday to give them support in changing tyres, flat batteries, replacing bulbs etc (all rechargeable work).  And we are looking a maximising the amount of fuel in the fuel tanks (except West Bar).

MW reported that the fuel in the tank at West Bar must be run down as the contract has been signed on West Bar and everyone must be out of the building by 31 March 2011.


3.7 Personnel           
PDRs  - there are still a number outstanding, but on the whole we are still on top of these.

Sickness – we have now exceeded the force target for the year and there are still 3 months to go before year end. Managers have been provided with information regarding staff absence and consideration is currently being given to the appropriate way to manage individual absences.

3.8 Risk Registers & Business Continuity     
DD raised the issue of business continuity at the Bodyshop should there be a situation where the Bodyshop was out of use.  He said he was looking at a fall back procedure for sending body work to an outside bodyshop.  However, it was agreed he should also look at what contracts are in place with nearby Police Forces and look at ways we could use these in an emergency.  If we were to look at using an outside bodyshop we would need to make them aware of our vetting process.

Action - 1 - 18.01.11: Sarah Gilding to write to Eric Mirfin to find out what his thoughts are on proposed business continuity procedures for Rotherham Bodyshop.


3.9 Performance         
Vehicle availability has been well above the target at 99.24%.  Unfortunately, the imputing of jobcards has not fallen within target this month for the first time since April, both annual leave over the Christmas period, bank holidays and snow at the beginning of December have contributed to this.  We should return to being within target next month.


3.10 Equality and Diversity        
Nothing to report.


3.11 Stock Control         
Recent stock reports have all been good.


3.12 Sustainability         
SG and MW have done some work on this, which contributes towards the Carbon Management Plan the Sustainability Manager is co-ordinating.  SG has also provided information on a point of policy with regard to vehicle hire.

SG reported that she had had an e-mail from Sheffield City Council  with regard to an initiative they are trying to launch within the Junction 35a Business Park called ‘Bike Boost’, which has also been forwarded to the Sustainability Manager for advice.

MW reported that we had an electric vehicle on a weeks trial.  This has proved to be quite nice to drive but if the lights and the heater are on, it drains the battery very quickly.  The vehicle is also very expensive to buy (more than twice the price) and would not be a practical option in the winter months.  SG will write to the Sustainability Manager with feedback from this trial.

Action 2 – 18.01.11:  Sarah Gilding to write to the Sustainability Manager with feedback from the trial of an electric vehicle.


4. ANY OTHER BUSINESS 
4.1 Regionalisation

This is not going forward for VFM at this stage, however further work will be done on this to see if it can be made viable.

4.2 DD raised the issue of the car washes constantly breaking down and whether it is a cost effective option having our own car washes?  SG explained that car wash cards (for a pressure wash) are being trialled in Sheffield and Doncaster and the long term plan is to remove car washing facilities from SYP sites, which could produce a cost saving.  SG has written out to the other Business Managers asking if they would like car wash cards.

Date: 

Tuesday, 18 January, 2011 - 14:00