Vehicle Fleet Management Team Meeting

MINUTES

1.APOLOGIES - Whysall, Martin – Head of Vehicle Fleet Management - Chair
  Wilson, Joy – Business Support Officer, VFM & PSD
  Greenfield, Rachael – Departmental Personnel Manager
  Barnett, Alan – Operational Management Accountant

__________________________________________________________________________

ATTENDEES -  Gilding, Sarah – Business Manager for VFM and PSD
  Day, Dave – Senior Fleet Manager, Bodyshop & Commissioning
  Saxton, Adrian – Senior Fleet Manager, Churchill & Doncaster
  Askwith, Heather – Departmental Personnel Manager
  Stiles, Mandy – Administration Assistant - Minutes


2. OPEN SESSION
SG welcomed Heather Askwith to her first meeting as Departmental Personnel Manager for Vehicle Fleet.


3. STANDING ITEMS

3.1 Minutes of previous meeting and actions    
The minutes of the previous meeting were approved as a true record.  The action schedule was reviewed and updated, see action schedule dated 16.06.11.
 
3.2 Matters arising from the Open Session of previous minutes
None.

3.3 Declarations of Any Other Business 
• UDS, Data Recording System
• Fitting Blackberry Cables

3.4 Department Structure        
No further update.


3.5 Finance
Revenue Monitoring – Predicting an overspend of £2,778 by year-end.  However, an additional £23,000 -  £25,000 overspend as a result of more being taken out of the salary budget to cover VER.  Further savings will need to be made to cover this. Currently year to date there is a predicted under spend of £15,000 but this too will change in view of the above.  Recharging for fuel and insurance / leasing is down.  However, currently we are forecasting £20,000 under spend on vehicle parts.  Vehicle sales received £8,000 extra year to date than planned so we are now projecting £28,000 more by year end. 
       
3.5.1 Trading Accounts        
  All workshops are showing a loss this month.   This also applies to the year to date figures.

3.5.2  OMA Issues – Financial Commentary      
• Emerging Issues
• Communication  - SG reported that more has been changed on Tranman but AB had not been told about it.  SA will now be producing a report on vehicle changes in month.
• Proposed Actions to be Taken
• Progress on Agreed Actions
• Other Financial Issues

3.6 Business Planning 
AS stated that he had tried to update a project using the new system but had come across a glitch.  It was agreed that managers would monitor this. 

Action  1 - 16.06.11: Mandy Stiles to set up quarterly meetings for updating risk registers and business continuity.  MS to minute these meetings.  First one to be set for late July or failing that September.
      
3.7 Personnel           
PDRS -  There are still a number of outstanding PDRs that need to be completed as soon as possible.  Two are drivers who transferred to us recently, so the reports will need to be done by the Departments from which they originated, with objectives being set by VFM.

Sickness – Now that a number of people have taken VER, sickness is almost at the force target.

NCALT – HA pointed out a number of non completions of mandatory course.  The majority of these are drivers who joined the Department in April.  It was agreed another push was necessary in order to get these done. The Fire Safety and Evacuation course now only has to be completed every 3 years once the new version has been completed.

Training plans / budget – HA explained that requests for training will be prioritised due to a reduced training budget:
• Priority 1 – compliance
• Priority 2 – mandated for role
• Priority 3 – role critical
All training must be requested on a house form, the above priorities will be applied.  Currently only Priority 1 and 2 are being approved.  Towards the end of the year if there is any money left, Priority 3 applications will be considered. It was noted that MOT refreshers would be required.  HA wasn’t aware of any current requests for training but SG queried this as some requests have been made. HA agreed to look into this.


3.8 Risk Registers & Business Continuity     
Separate quarterly meeting (which will be minuted) are to be set up for this, see action 1 – 16.06.11.  Managers are having meetings with Eric Mirfin in order to progress individual Business Continuity plans for each workshop and sections of VFM.

3.9 Performance         
External vehicle turn round times - have not been met again.  This is partly due to waiting for Mitsubishi Evo parts to be delivered from Japan.  It will be a couple of months before the new Insignias replace the Evo’s.
Jobcard received after completion by technician – has not been met which could be as a result of Bank Holidays or the change of post driver.
Jobcard input after receipt – has also not been met which could be as a result of Bank Holidays, staff on annual leave and also providing cover for maternity leave.

Action  2 - 16.06.11 – Sarah Gilding to arrange for the PDR key performance indicator to be changed from the number due in the month, to the number of PDRs outstanding rather than a percentage of those completed in month.  The target can then be changed to zero.

Vehicle availability – All Garages have dipped below the target this month, with Doncaster dipping below on several occasions.  This is due to staff absences.

3.10 Equality and Diversity 
SG stated that the diversity assessments need to be done.  
    
3.11 Stock Control         
The results of the 10% stock takes conducted in May are as follows:
• Churchill  Workshop – no discrepancies
• Commissioning - £59.00 out which represents 0.53% down
• Doncaster Workshop – no discrepancies
• Rotherham Bodyshop - £37.60 out which represents 1.91% down.

3.12 Sustainability         
Prior to the meeting MS had suggested using the smart board to display all the papers referred to during the Management Team meeting, instead of preparing folders for each attendee.  It was agreed to continue this for future meetings.


4.ANY OTHER BUSINESS        
4.1 UDS, Data Recording System
AS stated that he would be attending the Vehicle Fleet Steering Group on Martin’s behalf.  A report has been submitted by Lee Beck with regard to retrospective fitting of UDS in SYP vehicles.  In the report it states that it would cost £111,000 to fit UDS in the current fleet of high risk vehicles, £22,000 to fit UDS in vans. AS said that UDS is fitted as standard in Vauxhalls which will be purchased in future for the SYP fleet and there are 50 Astras coming onto the fleet soon which have UDS fitted as standard (BMWs do not have this equipment fitted as standard), so the figures quoted in the report will be overstated.  As the IPPC say that data recorders should be fitted they are wanting to establish who will pay for this.  It was agreed that AS will oppose retrospective fitting of UDS as vehicles coming onto the fleet will have it fitted as standard and at the point the of disposal of the old vehicles the Astras replace, the portable UDS units will be removed and refitted in an existing SYP vehicle that doesn’t currently have it.

4.2 Fitting Blackberry Cables
DD reported that they were having problems when fitting Blackberry cables as the Commissioning workshop don’t have one to test the system once it is installed.  An old Blackberry has been supplied but a new one is required too.

Action  3 - 16.06.11 – Dave Day to contact Sally Briggs / Simon Davis to request they supply a new Blackberry which can be used to test the system  works once the wiring has been fitted in a vehicle.

 

 

Date: 

Thursday, 16 June, 2011 - 13:30