Vehicle Fleet Management Team Meeting

MINUTES

1.APOLOGIES - Day, Dave – Senior Fleet Manager, Bodyshop & Commissioning
  Wilson, Joy – Business Support Officer, VFM & PSD
  Greenfield, Rachael – Departmental Personnel Manager
__________________________________________________________________________

ATTENDEES -  Whysall, Martin – Head of Vehicle Fleet Management - Chair
  Barnett, Alan – Operational Management Accountant
  Saxton, Adrian – Senior Fleet Manager, Churchill & Doncaster
  Gilding, Sarah – Business Manager for VFM and PSD
  Stiles, Mandy – Administration Assistant - Minutes


2. OPEN SESSION


3. STANDING ITEMS

3.1 Minutes of previous meeting and actions    
The minutes of the previous meeting were approved as a true record.  The action schedule was reviewed and updated, see action schedule dated 24.03.11.
 

3.2 Matters arising from the Open Session of previous minutes
None.


3.3 Declarations of Any Other Business 
• Breakdown Procedures
• Return to full time work
• Garage Equipment


3.4 Department Structure        
MW said this would be discussed further when the Management Team meet with Nigel Hiller on 31/03/11.

Marten Acton and Mick Hodgkinson’s applications for VER have been approved.  They are both due to leave on 15/04/11.

AS reported that he had heard that the number of motorbikes would be reduced.  MW said there are plans for disestablishing the motorbike wing but when they need to, motorbikes will still be used as and when required.

 

3.5 Finance         
3.5.1 Trading Accounts  
      
 In month there has been a drastic reduction in income, only £90,000 (£152,000 was predicted in the budget).  There was a problem with the fuel this month, which should come back cumulatively in the March accounts.  This was due to the overnight uploads not having taken place over approximately a two week period, but this should now be up to date.

The year to date seems OK.  Once year end has been completed AB plans to re-run the theoretical labour rates as this will go up due to the reduction in technicians.

The trading account budget to actual is balancing OK.  The discrepancy on drivers is because we have not been budgeting this year for fuel or leasing, which we are actually charging for.  We must ensure we budget for it next year.

3.5.2 OMA Issues – Financial Commentary      
AB reported that the revenue budget has been accepted and the profiles are in for next year.  A request has been received for capital profile and MW reported that the new framework for vehicles would not be in place until the end of April.

AB and the Finance Officer have been doing a lot of work around the Capital Replacement Programme.  They have the answer to the budget side for the current year but what they haven’t got is the link between actual and capital. This should be available by next week.  The capital side may take a couple more weeks: as the last year end was incorrect, communication wasn’t there, orders were placed in the wrong year and we over budgeted on the CAP5 for vehicles.  In the year we have now made sense of what the budget actually means, leaving £135,000, which hasn’t been touched yet but there, is still some work to do.

AB said last years Capital budget was incorrect as two vehicles had been put down to slippage when it should have been an accrual, plus there was an admin error which affects this years figures profile wise, leading to a £60,000 error at year end.  Corporate Finance expects slippage to be reported at the end of December (this is reported to the Police Authority).

Linking the actual to the budget side, £500,000 was spent but not on what it was said it would be spent on.  Sprinters have been bought for Rotherham District but they are now saying that they don’t want them.  AB queried what the contract is with Districts?  SG said that if they had requested these on the spreadsheets they submitted then they will have to have them.  MW had also spoken to NH about this and he was of the same opinion.

It appears that we have used less fuel this year than last but in effect the fuel has gone up in price. 

AB queried who was paying for the removal of the fuel tanks from West Bar.  It has cost £2,180 so far but further oil tanks have been found on site which have also been decommissioned, so there may be an additional invoice for this. It was agreed that VFM would fund this, as all budgets were to be zeroed at 01/04/11 ongoing.

AB asked if the Admin Team was coping.  SG reported that at a recent Business Support Team Meeting earlier this week, everyone had said they were OK.  Jobcards are within the 48 hour target and we haven’t been on stop with suppliers for some time now.

Ford parts are submitting consolidated invoices (from 1400, down to 12 invoices per year) and will supply a costed delivery note so the parts price can be entered on Tranman.  The invoice will only need coding once.  MW has applied for a credit agreement of £60,000.  AS asked for the Storekeeper to be included in an overview of the system.


3.6 Business Planning 
A separate meeting is due to take place with regard to business planning.     
  
3.7 Personnel           
AS reported that MOT refresher courses could potentially cost £5,500 we only have £2,500 in the training budget.  There are also a couple of mechanics who need to attend the full course.  These courses are mandatory so we need to speak to RG about this.  Currently there are no dates planned for these courses but a 2 day course in Leeds has been found and AS is trying to negotiate a bespoke course which can be done in 1 day and will suit SYPs needs better.

AS said that some of the MVTs had heard that increments will be stopped on wage increases.  MW explained that this was currently only a recommendation, which was made in the Winsor report and increments come under terms and conditions of employment so this could be quite a lengthy process if it were to go ahead.


3.8 Risk Registers & Business Continuity     
Eric Mirfin (EM) attended to raise awareness of the importance of Business Continuity.  He stated that the ‘Civil Contingencies Act’ makes business continuity mandatory and we must focus on critical functions, which must be reviewed regularly and the business continuity plan updated. 
Maintenance of Fleet – There is currently one plan for all VFM, which isn’t sufficient.  It was agreed to have a plan for each section of the Departments:
• Churchill
• Doncaster
• Bodyshop
• Business Support
• Driver Services
• Provision of Fuel to the Force – EM had spoken to Gary West about the fuel plan for the force.  We need to add to our business continuity plan so that in the event of the fuel plan being activated, what it is that we do?  It may not be too much of a problem as the fuel stocks we have may last for the period of an incident. 
EM advised the Management Team of the following:
• Link the business continuity plan with the risk register in order to integrate it
• Later this year some desk top exercises would take place in order to test the plan
• HMIC will be looking at business continuity in June/July 2011
• Business continuity could be raised at the Corporate Health check as Mr Dyson is the lead officer in this area
• EM can help out at anytime if needed
• EM would like to see business continuity as an agenda item at all Management Team Meetings, which we already do.


3.9 Performance         

The target has been missed on external repairs – Evos  are waiting for parts to be delivered.

The first Humberside job has arrived.  MW has a meeting arranged at the Body shop, with Will Lambert from Humberside with regard to this (repairs to a Proton).  AS reported that they were having problems obtaining replacement parts.
Jobcard timeliness is good and vehicle availability remains OK.


3.10 Equality and Diversity        
MW reported that a Diversity Standard is due to come out.  This had been discussed at the last diversity Champions meeting that he attended.


3.11 Stock Control
Churchill year end stock take has already been done.  There is a small discrepancy.        
Obsolete Stock
SG reported that she had looked at setting an account up on e-bay to dispose of obsolete stock but this was not a practical option.  SG will put a report together with regard to this.  It was agreed that AS should let SA know to dispose of obsolete stock via BCA.

MW said that obsolete livery must be written off as it cannot be disposed of any other way.  AS said in the past the ‘old’ obsolete livery (once written off) had been given to the Fire Museum for them to use in their restorations.

The obsolete stock report was run for the first time in February and must be dealt with as soon as possible, preferably before year end.  SG said that NH had requested that obsolete stock must be reviewed and dealt with on a quarterly basis.  The February report starts this process and there may be over £500 to be written off this time but next time this should be minimal.

Churchill Obsolete Stock
AS has set the Storekeeper a task of sorting out the Churchill impress stock.  Harrats, Robins and Day, Mercedes and LDV taking back what they can.  If our impress stock records are not correct there may be some charges incurred.

AS reported that some non impress stock (some 2007 tyres) may need to be scrapped.  MW queried whether older tyres could be sold on Sales and Wants. 

All obsolete stock at Churchill Way has been counted and taken into consideration.  SG said that we need to report which stock is obsolete, including the reason why it has not been used (i.e. 2007 tyres) and put the report to NH to consider write off, or see if any other Yorkshire or Humberside force can use this stock.  It was agreed to decide what needs to be disposed of, prepare a write off report and dispose of this all together before year end if possible.  After that there should only be small amounts to dispose of, which should be within MW’s remit to write off.

Action 1 - 24-03-11: Adrian Saxton to get a definitive answer from Adrian Jones of Goodyear with regard to the life of tyres and decide which tyres need to be written off and which ones could be offered to other Yorkshire and Humberside Forces.

3.12 Sustainability         
MW and SG continue to attend Sustainability meetings.  MW reported that ISO 1401 may come back to us but MW has asked the Sustainability Manager to give us some guidance on this.

MW has had a meeting about the inspection of tanks i.e. oil tanks over 200 litres (internal tanks are not included unless they have an inlet outside) and is liaising with an external company about this. 


4 ANY OTHER BUSINESS        

4.1 Breakdown Procedures
 AS asked what he should do about a phone for the driver when he goes out on a recovery job.  It was agreed that a phone can be kept for garage use and will be kept in the safe until needed.  All Drivers will be issued with an airwaves set.

4.2 Return to full time work
SG reported that she will return to full time work on 1 April 2011.

4.3 Garage Equipment
AS reported that Littlewoods are closing.  However, Littlewoods have written to put Terry Senior of Liftserve UK forward to take over our business and AS is concerned about this.  AS has obtained other prices from Transtech, Littlewoods and Scorpion Garage Services.  Transtech provides proper certificates and their quality seems better.  SG advised that we need to be able to show why we want to go with a particular supplier and we need formal quotes on letter headed paper and written evidence ofwhat each can provide i.e. supporting paperwork, certification etc. before we can go any further.

It was agreed that we must put together a schedule for the work that we want them to do.

Action 2 – 24-03-2011: Sarah Gilding/ Mandy Stiles to write to Littlewoods and the company they are proposing replace them – Liftserve, to say they must not do any work without having first obtained an order number.


Action 3 – 24-03-11: Adrian Saxton to establish what work we want the company who will replace Littlewoods as a supplier to do and ask them to provide quotes for this.


Action 4 – 24-03-11: Sarah Gilding to review Autosmart in conjunction with the Health & Safety recommendations, taking into account carwash cards and achieving future savings.


 

Date: 

Thursday, 24 March, 2011 - 14:30