Vehicle Fleet Management Team Meeting

MINUTES

1.APOLOGIES - Jo Buckley (JB) – Driver Services Manager
__________________________________________________________________________

ATTENDEES -  Whysall, Martin (MW)  - Head of VFM (Chair)
  Gilding, Sarah (SG) – Business Manager for VFM and PSD
  Kelly, Nicky (NK) – Operational Management Accountant
  Day, Dave (DD) – Senior Fleet Manager, Bodyshop & Commissioning
  Russell, Barbara (BR) – Operational HR Partner
  Saxton, Adrian (AS) – Senior Fleet Manager, Churchill & Doncaster
  Stiles, Mandy (MS) – Administration Assistant - Minutes

2. OPEN SESSION

3. STANDING ITEMS

3.1 Minutes of previous meeting and actions    
The minutes of the previous meeting were approved as a true record.  The action schedule was reviewed and updated, see action schedule dated 15.11.11.
 

3.2 Matters arising from the Open Session of previous minutes

Action 1 - 15.11.11 – Dave Day to add a procedure to the new vehicle process which will action a car wash card for each new vehicle.

A discussion took place about whether it would be more cost effective to employ someone to repair and service HGV’s, rather than send the work out.  It was agreed that this would not be appropriate for the following reasons:
• It wouldn’t be a full-time job
• It would take up a lot of space in the workshop
• Cannot justify the expense of employing someone when we only have a handful of HGV’s
• Current company servicing HGV’s also conduct MOT’s.  It would be costly to outlay for  the equipment etc to do this in house


3.3 Declarations of AOB   
• Skips - AS      
 

3.4 Department Structure        
MW welcomed BR to her first meeting as our HR Operational Partner.  MW reported that SG applied for and was successful in getting the Head of VFM Post from 1 January 2012.  

3.4.1 It was noted that a meeting needs to be arranged with regard to what we would do, if we were reducing the VFM Management Team by one.

Action 2 – 15.11.11: Mandy Stiles to arrange a meeting with regard to what we would do, if we were reducing the VFM Management Team by one.
3.4.2 The review of Finance will affect us when it comes to fruition.  Finance Officer and Finance Assistant posts will go to the centre.  Admin and Finance Clerk (Band A posts) will stay within VFM.  SG stated that it isn’t yet clear what will happen to the work  linked to Tranman that the Finance Officer and Assistant currently do.  SG will send an e-mail to raise her concerns about this.

Action 3 – 15.11.11: Mandy Stiles to send  a copy of the VFM structure chart to Barbara Russell.

3.4.3 SG said that questions had been asked with regard to maternity leave as the Finance   Assistant had been told that she would also have to apply for the available jobs.  BR   reported that ‘Case Law’ had changed recently, in order to ensure that people on maternity  leave are treated no more favourably i.e. the same as, those not on maternity leave and it is  crucial that the selection process and criteria are fair.  Indications are that providing  everything is passed by the Boards to which they have been submitted, from 29 November,  there will be a 30 day consultation period.  SG also reported that at the Business Managers  Forum, they had asked for the new structure and changes not to take place at year end.


3.5 Finance
The Department is showing a £130,000 overspend (or under-recovered) year to date.  A stock adjustment was missed, giving a £7,243 under spend because an accrual had not gone through and the number of vehicles on fleet is reducing. 

NH has issued a deadline for reporting savings for next year, but hasn’t indicated the percentage savings to be made.  MW said that his post was in the savings plan for this year from November (but finalised for December) and the post has been re-graded from an Executive band post, to band H.  It is uncertain as to what will happen with the Business Managers post.  There will be a proportion of savings from the Finance Officer and the Finance Assistants posts going to the centre and a saving from the Finance Officer, who will return from maternity leave on reduced hours. SG said we need a steer from NH with regard to what we do and we may need a temporary fix over the next few months.
         
3.5.1 Trading Accounts        
NK has been looking at the Trading Accounts and has come up with a new format using ‘Spreadsheet Server’.  She has asked for the software to be installed on the Finance Officers computer, as it will pull information straight into the spreadsheets from Oracle and save a lot of time.  It shows the full budget, then year to date, budget actual and under or over spend and then moves on to the trading accounts.  There is an over spend on leasing and fuel.  MW explained that at the moment, we are selling the fuel that was bought at a cheaper price and buying fuel to replace it that is now more expensive. NK said she would review the ‘labour rate’ before the end of the year. 

SG reported that it had been noted that officers are filling up with SYP fuel cards and then claiming points for themselves i.e. Tesco and Premier Points.
 
Emerging issue Proposed action to be taken
Progress on agreed action
18/10/11: The trading accounts are mainly showing a profit but this shouldn’t be the case when an overspend is showing. A new system called spreadsheet server is being set up which links Oracle straight into Excel.   NK has arranged to sit with Keith Oldman from Corporate Finance in order to put the trading accounts into spreadsheet server, to try and resolve this issue. Update 15/11/11: NK has done this and revised the system.
Discharged.
18/10/11: UDS Black Boxes – has a capital scheme brief been done for this? MW has to provide a report for SCT with regard to Black Boxes.  Information to be pulled from this to complete the scheme brief, which must be in place before the funding is drawn down (£70,000 approved at FFSG). Update 15/11/11: MW still needs to finalise the report.
Ongoing.

It was noted that the Budget Holders Commentary is no longer required but a Business Managers Commentary has been introduced.  NH also introduced an OMA commentary (see above).


3.5 Business Planning        
SG reported that the Business Plan is under review and this will link into the Business Managers Review.


3.6 Personnel           
Sickness - BR reported that there was one outstanding medical certificate and one outstanding self-certificate.

External training course requests, showing on the training template for Quarter 3 are:
• 11 x MOT refreshers
• 2 x full MOT test courses
• 4 x bike tests. 
AS is keeping Julie Sherborn informed but is now looking at Jan/Feb for completing these courses.

PDRs – currently 13 are outstanding.  BR reported that there was some work ongoing with Humberside about revising the PDR system and joint working with Humberside on HR is progressing and will be looking at shared services first.

NCALT – there are still some of the Olympic courses outstanding.  AS said that at the Corporate Health Check had indicated that the online DSE training course should be done by all mechanics. However, they do not use a computer for more than an hour a day, so they shouldn’t have to do it. Heather Askwith had asked for the mechanics to be removed from the list but as they are band D posts this cannot be done.  An explanation about this will have to be given at each Corporate Health Check.


3.7 Risk Registers & Business Continuity     
Nothing to report.

3.8 Performance         
SG to check with PDU to ensure they are saving the work they are doing for us with regard to key performance indicators, to the VFM shared drive. It was noted that Job cards received after completion by Technician has slipped a bit.


3.9 Equality and Diversity        
Nothing to report.


3.10 Stock Control         
The results of 10% stock takes completed at the end of October, beginning of November are as follows:
• Churchill Workshop – no discrepancies
• Commissioning – no discrepancies
• Doncaster Workshop - no discrepancies
• Rotherham Bodyshop - no discrepancies

AS raised the issue of two items of stock that won’t be used and need to be made obsolete. SG asked for the details to be e-mailed to her.


3.11 Sustainability         
MW reported that the last meeting was cancelled.


4 ANY OTHER BUSINESS        
4.1 Skips

AS has provided JB with contact details for Wallace Metals who will provide a free skip and pay us for what is in it.  SCM have done a review on skips but have not included one for metal.  MW suggested getting  a minimum of three quotes.

Action 4 – 15.11.11: Adrian Saxton to contact a minimum of 3 suppliers, including Ron Hull and other skip suppliers to find out if they will supply a free skip and if so, what they will pay for the contents.


 

Date: 

Tuesday, 15 November, 2011 - 14:00