Vehicle Fleet Management Team Meeting

MINUTES

1.APOLOGIES - Askwith, Heather (HA) – Departmental Personnel Manager
  Saxton, Adrian (AS) – Senior Fleet Manager, Churchill & Doncaster

__________________________________________________________________________

ATTENDEES -  Whysall, Martin (MW)  - Head of VFM (Chair)
  Gilding, Sarah (SG) – Business Manager for VFM and PSD
  Barnett, Alan (AB) – Operational Management Accountant
  Buckley, Jo (JH) – Driver Services Manager
  Day, Dave – Senior Fleet Manager, Bodyshop & Commissioning
  Stiles, Mandy (MS) – Administration Assistant - Minutes

2. OPEN SESSION

3. STANDING ITEMS

3.1 Minutes of previous meeting and actions    
The minutes of the previous meeting were approved as a true record.  The action schedule was reviewed and updated, see action schedule dated 15.09.11.
 

3.2 Matters arising from the Open Session of previous minutes
None.


3.3 Declarations of Any Other Business 
• National Windscreens - SG
     

3.4 Department Structure        
AB will be leaving at the end of September on VER.  MW thanked him for all his efforts during the time he has worked with VFM.  Nicky Kelly will be taking over as OMA for VFM.
MW has not had a date confirmed for his VER application.  NH is looking at how we fit in with Humberside.  VFM and FM will be joining with their opposite Departments at Humberside Police.


3.5 Finance 
Revenue monitoring – we are down £38,000 in month with an overspend of £112,000 year to date. Projections indicate we will be £42,000 down at year end.  We are expecting more income from vehicle sales and potentially there is £93,000 in insurance claims pending, which we should recover some before year end.  MW stated that at some point in the future we will need to look at our establishment if the fleet does reduce.
        
3.5.1 Trading Accounts        
In month the trading accounts are good and the year to date remains good.  The budget actual trading accounts also look OK.


 3.5.2 OMA Issues – Financial Commentary      
• Emerging Issues
AB stated that a lack of communication within the team in relation to the movement of vehicles and putting vehicles onto Tranman, was an issue.  AB gave an example of a vehicle that was purchased for SCS but they haven’t given a vehicle up and SCS haven’t put a plan in to get a new vehicle, so in effect, we are paying for it.
DD commented that SCS move vehicles around internally within SCS.
MW said we were looking at doing radio fits on SCS vehicles.
• Proposed Actions to be Taken
AB requested that the free format screen be used to add information to Tranman and that we need to be clear who will record this information.
• Progress on Agreed Actions
• Other Financial Issues
•AB reported that a vehicle that had come on as a new charge had in fact been with the department in question for 10 months, without any charges being made.
•AB reported that one vehicle that was ready and the Department had been informed of this but it was sat outside for a month before being collected.
•AB said that he didn’t understand MW’s vehicle replacement programme
It was agreed to add discussing the vehicle replacement programme on to the end of next weeks commissioning meeting.  Also processes to be discussed at the meeting, in terms of Tranman being up to date prior to vehicles going out.

Action 1 - 15.09.11: Martin Whysall at ask the Performance Assistant to add the ‘putty’ version of Tranman onto Dave Day’s computer.

Action 2 - 15.09.11: Sarah Gilding to speak to the Fleet Manager at Doncaster to arrange for the van to be returned from GTA.

3.5.3 Quality of Orders 
SG explained that the orders coming up from Commissioning are lacking in information.  To resolve this issue one of two things needs to happen:
•Put some training in place, or
•Commissioning provide the information for the order to the Finance Team and the Finance Team complete the orders.

3.5.4 I-proc – Raising of orders in advance
SG reported that with I-procurement, orders CANNOT be raised after the event and she raised concerns about GIST orders, which often are.  She stated that an estimate MUST be obtained and used to raise the order, in advance of the work being carried out.

Action 4 - 15.09.11: Sarah Gilding to ensure that the Workshop Controller is included in the I-procurement training.

a. It was agreed that if Glyn Morris is in work next week, he could stand in for the Workshop Controller to enable her to come upstairs to do some training.  It was agreed that Pauline major would shadow Steve White with a view to taking on some of his tasks both in the short and long term.
b. It was agreed that the store keepers at Churchill and Rotherham would need to become involved in doing stock takes.


3.6 Business Planning        
SG has a meeting set up with Yvonne Duffin to ensure business planning is fit for purpose.


3.7 Personnel 
         
3.7.1 Annual Leave – staffing levels

It was agreed that we would have to agree minimum staffing levels and be strict about enforcing them if further request for leave are received once the level has been reached.  It was also agreed to assess if the compressed hours system is still viable.

3.7.2 Resilience – Role Cover
SG reported on the position with recruiting to imminent vacancies.  No applications for the Band A post and the Band B post closes on 19/09/11.  Admin staff will not be able to cover  stores and reception in future, due to staff changes and new roles (see a & b above).  In order to maintain continuity of cover on reception we will need to look seriously at providing cover using existing garage staff.  A current period of long term sickness of an MVT  has highlighted how difficult it is to provide cover when compressed hours are in place.  It was noted that at the point a change in working pattern to compressed hours was agreed, there were more staff in post.

Action 5 - 15.09.11: Mandy Stiles to send a reminder out to all staff at the end of September 2011, reminding them to plan to take their annual leave before the end of the leave year, or they will lose it.

Supervisors were reminded that they must consider cover at the point of approving leave and if cover cannot be maintained leave must be refused.

Action 6 – 15.09.11: Mandy Stiles to arrange a meeting between SG, MW, AS,DD and JB to discuss annual leave and put in place processes for staffing levels, resilience and role cover.


3.8 Risk Registers & Business Continuity     
SG reported that Business Continuity Plans are progressing for each work area.  Risk Registers are up to date and quarterly meetings are in place.


3.9 Performance         
It was noted that the Audatex variance is back within target.  Job card input after receipt has improved but is not quite back within target, although the problems with the Doncaster post bag have now been resolved.


3.10 Equality and Diversity        
Nothing to report.

3.11 Stock Control         
The results of the 10% stock takes conducted at the end of August/beginning of September are as follows:
• Churchill Workshop – no discrepancies
• Commissioning - £59 out which amounts to 0.54%
• Doncaster Workshop - no discrepancies

The results of the 100% tyre stock takes conducted at the end of August/beginning of September are as follows:
• Churchill – no discrepancies
• Doncaster – no discrepancies

Action 7 – 15.09.11: Sarah Gilding to ensure the tyre stock take is extended to include Rotherham.

A discussion took place about tyres with regard to winter tyres.  DD said the new stock and the used stock would run in tandem.  At the point a tyre is taken off a decision must be made as to whether it is worth keeping..  The store keeper will record this.
For example: raise a job – check the tyre tread depth – fit the winter tyre – (on job card, 2 tyres scrapped, 3 retained).
MW said that a job code would be required for ‘fitting winter tyres’ and also a  refit code for ‘re-fitting summer tyres’.

Action 8 – 15.09.11: Martin Whysall to speak to Richard Flint to establish codes for fitting winter tyres and refitting summer tyres


3.12 Sustainability         
MW reported that the project for ‘stop start’ vehicles is unlikely to go ahead because stop start on  the Focus was standard but on Vauxhalls it costs £204 and we are unlikely to get this back from the  efficiencies realised.


4. ANY OTHER BUSINESS 

Feedback from NAPFM Conference 
• Arval were saying that a significant rise in the price of fuel was expected in the near future.  Fuel duty rises are expected in April and September 2012.
• Networking was good
• MW felt that it was worthwhile that representatives attended in future, as they did a lot of work with suppliers

National Windscreens
SG reported that National Windscreens have been awarded the contract for vehicle window / windscreen replacement.  SG reminded everyone that we must not use Auto Plus.

Action 9 – 15.09.11 – Sarah Gilding to send a e-mail round the Department stating that National Windscreens have been awarded the contract for vehicle window / windscreen replacement

Date: 

Thursday, 15 September, 2011 - 14:30