Vehicle Fleet Management Team Meeting

MINUTES

1.APOLOGIES - Wilson, Joy – Business Support Officer, VFM & PSD
  Greenfield, Rachael – Departmental Personnel Manager
  Saxton, Adrian – Senior Fleet Manager, Churchill & Doncaster 
___________________________________________________________

ATTENDEES -  Whysall, Martin – Head of Vehicle Fleet Management - Chair
  Barnett, Alan – Operational Management Accountant
  Day, Dave – Senior Fleet Manager, Bodyshop & Commissioning
  Gilding, Sarah – Business Manager for VFM and PSD
  Stiles, Mandy – Administration Assistant - Minutes

2. OPEN SESSION


3. STANDING ITEMS


3.1 Minutes of previous meeting and actions    
The minutes of the previous meeting were approved as a true record.  The action schedule was reviewed and updated, see action schedule dated 16.12.10.


3.2 Matters arising from the Open Session of previous minutes  
AB referred to the last paragraph of 3.5.2 of the November minutes (bottom of page 2). He was concerned whether this had been progressed but as SG not in attendance he requested it be made into an action.  MW said he was aware of orders that SG had held back and  discussed with the Fleet Manager for Commissioning but AB is concerned that this shouldn’t be happening again.

Action 1 - 16.12.10: Sarah Gilding to speak with the Fleet Manager for Commissioning about orders being placed for capital items after the item has been ordered verbally.

Action  2 - 16.12.10: Sarah Gilding to investigate a query for Dave Day whereby an invoice which had been sent to him and he was querying with the company concerned, had already been paid. With a view for the process to be reviewed. 

Action  3 - 16.12.10: Martin Whysall to send an e-mail to the Head of Corporate Finance and the Exchequer Accountant to express our concern that third party claims may not be pursued as potentially this will be a loss of revenue to VFM (£76,000) as a result of them  not replacing the part time insurance clerk that has left.

DD raised the issue of full valets as REACT will only do a full valet if there are three cars to be done at once. REACT charge £77 for removing blood from a seat but if the vehicle can be left to stand for 24 hours, D Hobson will do a full valet for £45.  It was agreed in situations where the vehicle can be left to stand for 24 hours D Hobson can be used for a full valet.


3.3 Declarations of Any Other Business      
None.


3.4 Department Structure        
It was noted that severance may change the Department structure.  AB said that he was attending a road show this afternoon with regard to the voluntary redundancy scheme.  A few members of staff from our Department are known to have applied.


3.5 Finance
AB reported that in month the revenue monitoring report was showing £59,701 extra income.  This is likely to increase a little by year end.
  
       
3.5.1 Trading Accounts        
In month, profits have been made by each workshop and this continues on into the year to date figures.  AB is working with the Fleet Manager for Commissioning in order to understand better the income we get in for parts against the cost of parts, which might be due to timing.  The year to date budget versus actual is up by £106,000 of which £63,000 is down to insurance claims being higher than what we have budgeted for.  AB reported that he had moved the 3 workshop drivers out of the Churchill Way budget and into the Core Drivers budget (now charging for leasing and fuel).

Action 4  - 16.12.10:   Martin Whysall to confirm at the next Driver Services Project Board that the savings that come from drivers being brought into the core are attributed to the Driver Services Project and not claimed by Districts.

3.5.2  OMA Issues – Financial Commentary      
Emerging Issues
• AB is continuing to work on capital, in order to understand where we are.  The cap5 doesn’t give us the information we need and so he will spend time with the Finance Officer in order to do this.
• The vehicle replacement programme isn’t working effectively and reasons for change are not being documented.
• A validation issue has occurred where Tranman is showing that two vehicles have replaced one.  This shouldn’t happen.

Proposed Actions to be Taken
• AB reported that he had come up against another vehicle replacement problem and he is currently doing another piece of work to try and ensure that this works more reliably in the future.  AB said he was trying to address short term issues and the longer term issues will be addressed at the monthly meetings that have been set up.

Progress on Agreed Actions

Other Financial Issues


3.6 Business Planning        
MW reported that SG had updated the business plan.


3.7 Personnel 
PDRs – A number are still outstanding.  SG’s PDR is still with NH for second line comment and signature (MS to chase with his secretary).  AS and DD’s PDRs are still to be done by MW.

Sickness – Cumulatively it currently stands at 8.24 days so it looks like we will exceed the force target of 9 days as there are still 4 months remaining.  However, a number of staff members who were on long term sick have returned to work.     

Outstanding Annual Leave –Getting people to plan their leave in is still a problem and it was noted that the majority of the staff at Doncaster Garage still have a lot of leave to take which could become a problem logistically.

Action 5  - 16.12.10: Mandy Stiles to prepare individual letters for MW’s signature to send out in January to all staff who have over 37 hours annual leave remaining.                                          
  
MW sent best wishes to Vicky Hallbrook who has given birth to a baby girl, Elsa Alexandra on 11 December 2010.
  
    
3.7.1 Update on Regionalisation 
      

DD said that he had not seen the report.  MW said he would send version 2 onto him.


3.8 Risk Registers & Business Continuity     
Nothing to report.


3.9 Performance         
Overall, performance this month is good except for PDRs.


3.10 Equality and Diversity        
Nothing to report.


3.11 Stock Control         
Recent stock checks have shown that there are no discrepancies at any of the workshops.  AB queried the value of imprest stock at Rotherham Bodyshop as the value is very small..  DD explained that they only stock wings as parts are more readily available.  AB queried whether we need an audit of what imprest stock is, in order to review elements of the business.

Action 6 - 16.12.10: Steve White to work with the store keepers and the Senior and Fleet Managers to look at imprest stock in terms of reviewing what is kept as imprest stock.


3.12 Sustainability         
MW and SG have completed the information required for the sustainability projects they were responsible for, so the deadline of 4 January will be met.

MW reported that in January an electric car demonstrator will arrive and the new Focus will come with stop/start.


4.  ANY OTHER BUSINESS        
 None.

Date: 

Thursday, 16 December, 2010 - 09:30