Vehicle Fleet Management Team Meeting

MINUTES

1.APOLOGIES - Gilding, Sarah – Business Manager for VFM and PSD
  Greenfield, Rachael – Departmental Personnel Manager
___________________________________________________________

ATTENDEES - Whysall, Martin – Head of Vehicle Fleet Management - Chair
  Barnett, Alan – Operational Management Accountant
  Day, Dave – Senior Fleet Manager, Bodyshop & Commissioning
  Saxton, Adrian – Senior Fleet Manager, Churchill & Doncaster
  Wilson, Joy – Business Support Officer, VFM & PSD
  Stiles, Mandy – Administration Assistant - Minutes
   
2. OPEN SESSION


3. STANDING ITEMS

3.1 Minutes of previous meeting and actions    
The minutes of the previous meeting were approved as a true record.  The action schedule was reviewed and updated, see action schedule dated 19.10.10.

3.2 Matters arising from the Open Session of previous minutes  
None.

3.3 Declarations of Any Other Business     
Saxton, Adrian - New Emergency Exit Gate
Day, Dave – Insurance issue raised by Rotherham Business Manager

3.4 Department Structure       
Item covered in the closed session.

3.5 Finance
Alan Barnett reported that in month we are showing £20,000 more income than expected.  This is due to vehicle plant sales, however there were non in the previous month.  The Department has done well on overtime but there was an error on fuel which was a mistake made on the accounts side.  The projected out turn is £52,000 more income which is more than last month but  in month, everyone was expected to save 1.1% of budget (£49,000), which we have shown against insurance. 

Alan Barnett reported that the carry forward from last year was £47,000, which was to be used to renew the fuel pumps.
   
  
3.5.1 Trading Accounts        
Alan Barnett reported that all the trading accounts looked reasonable and are coming in at a profit.  On the year to date figures, the cost for parts (at the Bodyshop)  stands out and more work needs to be done on this.  The budget against actual figure is showing £60,000 - £70,000 better than the budget at this stage.

3.5.2 OMA Issues - Financial Commentary
Emerging Issues
Alan Barnett has been doing some work on capital.  In relation to this he discussed a recent incident where an SYP vehicle that was only three months old was written off after crashing into a tram.  This has raised a number of issues:
• VFM only received 2 months worth of charges before this vehicle was written off
• Who makes the decision whether to replace the vehicle or not

 Proposed Actions to be Taken
• Martin Whysall suggested that we put something in place to say the date of the accident is the point when they give us three months notice, so that in a case like this (as it was their drivers fault) we get at least 5 months ‘rental’.
• Martin Whysall suggested that at the point of making the decision to write off a vehicle we should write to the Business Manager at the District/Department to let them know, this vehicle has been written off and do they want it to be replaced.

Other Financial Issues
AB said there should be a contract for vehicles on the replacement programme.

Alan Barnett suggested a review of the whole Fleet

A further issue arose with regard to plant equipment – a Jobling (trailer) – appeared (no longer being charged for.  Adrian Saxton explained that some plant is purchased by District / Departments and providing they inform us of the purchase we then record it as part of the Fleet but Districts don’t always tell us what they have purchased. Adrian explained that one of the mechanics had gone out to Ring Farm, OPPs and Manvers  to service any trailers that he could find as they were overdue for servicing but some of the plant equipment he was asked to service did not appear on the servicing list he was working to. This was however serviced and recharged (all servicing done on plant is rechargeable).

Consumables
Alan Barnett asked if this had been sorted out yet – has a decision been made on what constitutes a consumable.  Bulbs currently are a stock item.

Action 1 - 19.10.10 – Steve White to compile a report detailing a years worth of issues on bulbs, just  for Churchill Way and identify whether they are issued to particular Districts and Departments.  Report to be sent to Adrian Saxton and Alan Barnett.
 

3.6 Business Planning        
Martin Whysall gave an update on Regional working. He had attended a Regional NAPFM meeting of the 4 Yorkshire Forces, Cleveland, Durham and Northumbria) where they had discussed the new vehicle contracts.  An agreement was reached to broadly standardise vehicles as this would help to get prices down further    This was discussed again at the Force Fleet Steering Group, where the options for the size of vehicle was discussed, but once it goes to the tender process, we have no option but buy the cheapest vehicle unless we can justify otherwise.
However, Mr Sahota has written to Richard Flint explaining that although SYP understands the need for Regionalising, rationalising and make savings, we would prefer to continue with the Fiesta as our CID vehicle, Focus as our beat vehicle and the Mondeo as a response car.  However, Martin also pointed out that of the other Yorkshire Forces we are the only ones that run a response car as a dedicated vehicle and all other Yorkshire Forces run automatic vehicles for their RPG cars, so all of this has been fed back to Richard Flint. The next meeting with Richard Flint is on Friday.  Alan Barnett will be doing some work on the budget figures for the Regional Project.

3.7 Personnel 
PDRs – Our figures and Personnel’s figures do not seem to match percentage wise, but we have the least amount of outstanding PDRs  than we have ever had. 

Sickness – we are doing better this month but by the end of the year, indications are that we will be over the Force target.

3.7.1 Training Template        
Joy Wilson explained that she will take responsibility for the training template for VFM and  PSD.  All requests for training must be given to Joy.  Joy reported that next year , no  external NVQ qualifications would be possible and that overall, any training available may  only be for role critical courses.

Action 2 – 19.10.10: All Managers to put forward all training requests for April 2011 – March 2012 to Joy Wilson by the first week in November 2010.

3.7.2 Refresher VOSA Course
Adrian Saxton reported that all the technicians need to complete a refresher VOSA course, which is an essential requirement for their job.  It is a 2-day course, which costs £250 per technician, so £3,000 in all. 

Action 3 – 19.10.10: Adrian Saxton to contact Rachael Greenfield about the cost of the 2 day VOSA course which is an essential requirement for the MV Technicians.
 
3.7.3 Departure of Health & Safety Advisor

All the Management Team wish to thank Alan Rose for all the hard work he has done within Vehicle Fleet on COSHH, Risk Registers, Workshop Health & Safety Action Plans and in general bringing us up to speed with Health & Safety. He has worked with great enthusiasm and good humour.     

3.8 Risk Registers & Business Continuity     
Martin Whysall explained that he had received two e-mails via the new risk register process. 

Joy Wilson and Mandy Stiles are attending a training day for Business Continuity next Tuesday.

Martin Whysall reported that at the NAPFM Regional meeting he attended yesterday, they attempted to sign up to a service level agreement to help each other out in the event of a workshop failure or emergency but this did not come fully to fruition.  Once work has been completed on this, it will be put forward to Nigel Hiller to sign it off.

3.9 Performance         
Vehicle availability and vehicle turn round times are satisfactory, except external turn round times but we have no control over this.

3.10 Equality and Diversity       
The NCALT Diversity and the Police e-learning course has now been completed by the majority of staff with just a number within Driver Services outstanding but the Coordinators are working hard to ensure everyone does take the time to complete it.

3.11 Stock Control        
100% stock takes have been completed on all sites and variances are relatively minor.

3.12 Sustainability         
Martin Whysall reported that action plans will be coming from the Sustainability Board which will look at the fleet, electric vehicles etc. Sarah Gilding is a member of the Carbon Management Team and they are looking at a number of practical projects to reduce carbon emissions.


4.ANY OTHER BUSINESS        
4.1 Savings Plan

Martin Whysall has prepared some figures for this year and the next four years, which will be checked by Alan Barnett before they are put forward to Nigel Hiller at the beginning of November. 
      
4.2 CHC Review of Actions
Live Actions Update
VFM 28 – Hire Car Data (External Sources)  ( 01/11/2010). VFM to obtain data from the hire car providers stating exactly what cars were hired, for what time frames. VFM to establish this as a regular information feed from the suppliers to support hire car usage data published by the department. MW to speak to the Finance Officer about this.
Jean Cookson is writing a policy on vehicle hire and insurance.  Vehicles should be brought to the Bodyshop so that an Audatex quote can be done. A £25 charge is made for this.  The Insurance Dept is looking at a way for the Bodyshop to raise a claim number without raising a job number.
VFM 29 – Hire Car Insurance & Damage (01/11/2010).  Alan Barnett(VFM) and Nicky Kelly(Corporate Finance) to investigate the financial implications for SCS Department for the following two points:
• Establish how much SYP & SCS has paid in damage to hire vehicles for the previous financial year.
• Assess the difference between hire vehicles and purchased vehicles with regards to insurance charges and handling fees. Alan Barnett will arrange to speak to Nicky Kelly.  Alan Barnet said that it is cheaper for SCS to hire a car than buy one through VFM. Sheffield district had gone the other way.

Issues to be revisited at the November CHC Update
4.1 ‘Grey Vehicles Policy – VFM reported on grey vehicles (casual users) during the CHC and the work underway in relation to producing a policy to protect the organisation from possible future issues from applicable employees. Martin Whysall has looked at this and reported that Corporate HR are doing some work on this but this issue is problematic.  Martin Whysall said that he needed to gather some information from general orders.   Joy Wilson reported that at the Business Managers Forum, they were waiting for Personnel to issue a list of who essential users are.
Casual User allowance – The Senior Fleet Managers use their own car sometimes.
4.2 Performance Target – During the CHC DCC Dyson praised VFM for their excellent performance against the departmental targets, adding that the department could look to set more stretching targets. Vehicle Availability has been raised to 97% (from 96%).
4.3 Potential Budget Cuts Impact on the Fleet – During the CHC VFM were posed the question of what 10% budgetary cuts would mean to the department.  VFM reported that 10% cuts would not affect the department directly, however the department would have to react and downsize in line with potential fleet reductions.  DCC Dyson commented that the department must ensure continuous liaison with district and departments to establish sufficient time to react to the organisation’s fleet needs. A plan will have been submitted before the CHC.
4.4 Declined Gifts & Gratuities – Recording of declined gifts and gratuities was identified as an area for improvement by Martin Whysall during the CHC. Mandy Stiles now has responsibility for recording all offers submitted and the Business Manager is the authorising officer.

Action 4 – 19.10.10 – Martin Whysall to speak with Sarah Gilding about hire car data for the CHC actions.

4.3 New Emergency Exit Gates
Adrian Saxton reported that two emergency exit gates have now been fitted in the perimeter fence.  The one at the front is a push bar and a decision needs to be made whether or not it is necessary to add a padlock to this each evening.  Martin Whysall and Adrian Saxton conducted a risk assessment on the gate immediately after the meeting and made the decision that a padlock was not required.

4.4 Insurance issue raised by Rotherham Business Manager
Dave Day reported that the Rotherham Business Manager wants someone from the  Insurance Department to answer a query she has about insurance.  Dave Day explained  that she wants Rotherham to receive any money received from insurance on their District  vehicles, as she believes there must be an element for insurance in the monthly charges they pay to VFM.  Martin Whysall explained there was no insurance element in the monthly  charges and that if they want the insurance money they will have to bear the cost of the  repair to the vehicle.  Also, there are no guarantees that the insurance will pay out  and the  most we ever get back is 90% (currently VFM bears the cost of this along with the  administration charged by the insurers). 

Martin Whysall commented that in the future we might need to develop charges for loss of use of  police vehicles.  Adrian Saxton asked ‘how are SYP vehicles insured’.  Martin Whysall explained that it is third party insurance with an excess of £50,000 (some forces have excesses of up to £250,000).  The insurance company have to be informed of any claims over £25,000 as they administer these.  There is a sum in the budget for accident repairs but there is no fair way of devolving this.


Date and time of next meeting
2pm Tuesday 16 November  2010 in PSD Conference Room 2, Unit  20, Churchill Way.

Date: 

Tuesday, 19 October, 2010 - 13:30