PURSUIT STEERING GROUP MEETING

WEDNESDAY 13 JUNE 2012
ATLAS COURT MEETING ROOM

PRESENT:
Superintendent Adrian Moran OSS Communications
CI Stuart Walne OSS (Chair)
CI Marissa Cooper Oss Comms
Inspector Simon Slack OSS
Inspector Craig Clifton OSS
Inspector AllIson Huckstepp FIM
Sgt Mark Groarke Sheffield District
PC Tim Scothern OSS
PC Neil Fletcher Driver Training
Joyce Elias (minutes) Secretary Atlas Court
APOLOGIES:
Sgt Paul Booth Driver Training
DCI Steve Williams PSD

1 MINUTES / ACTIONS OF PREVIOUS MEETING
 
The minutes of the meeting held on 17 February 2012, were agreed as a true record of the meeting.

 ACTIONS:  Action Schedule updated, see attached.
 
2 DECLARATION OF ANY OTHER BUSINESS
 Op Focus – Insp Clifton

3 TPAC ISSUES 

Insp Clifton asked for a discussion in order to agree as a force how we authorise pursuits.
Currently officer should get authority for an initial phase however this is rarely requested, tend to concentrate on the tactical authority. IPCC when investigating will look at whether the pursuit was authorised. After discussion the following practice was agreed, instructions for Comms staff will be amended in accordance.
• Officer to seek authority
• Control room staff to authorise Pursuit to continue (request if authority not requested)
• Pursuit commander to identify themselves
• Pursuit Commander (not Comms staff) to notify when pursuit has moved to tactical phase.  Separate authority not required.

It was agreed that a separate authority for StopSticks was not necessary.

ACTION:  Inspector Clifton to write a paper on the decision by this group on who authorises a pursuit to continue, who authorises tactics and that a separate authority for StopSticks is no longer required.

PC Fletcher confirmed that Motorway Stinger will be introduced, Driver training will carry out some trials on the motorway 17 & 18 July.

4 RECENT DEPLOYMENTS / GEN 203 FORMS
 Inc 34 07.06.12:
Officer said comms was poor, Insp Huckstepp gave an overview of the incident and felt that communication was good/clear and the job was a success.
Supt Moran said the gen203 could be improved in order to gather more detailed information and assist in the review process.  In addition a debrief should be taking place.  PC Scothern said there were problems with the format of the gen203.

ACTION:  PC Scothern to alter format of Gen203 form.

CI Walne said that there had been some excellent results recently.

5 RESPONSE DRIVING

Dangerous Driving / Risk of Prosecution: Papers including a PowerPoint presentation, circulated prior to meeting by Insp Slack.
CI Walne updated - From a legal position drivers are open to prosecution for using what are believed to be legitimate exceptions if there is a collision as a result of it.  Insp Clifton said that long term there will be a change in legislation, which would allow police officers to drive in a manner that would normally be classed as dangerous, in order to do their job.

6 LESSONS LEARNT
 No additional issues raised.

7 TRAINING
Driving Policy - PC Fletcher said there had been a couple of instances that had not been referred to the Driving Panel because use of exemptions had not been identified, Insp Thompson has asked if the policy wording needs amending.  Insp Clifton also gave an example of when another emergency service vehicle is involved in a collision and asked who should investigate, it was agreed this should be RPG.

ACTION:  Insp Clifton to review Driver Policy wording to determine if a change is required re use of exemptions or will a briefing to Districts suffice.

Driver Training - New Inspector is Paul Butler, SYP & Humberside now combined.  Both forces liaising to ensure training matches.  Humberside do not have a Pursuit SG.

ACTION:  Insp Paul Butler to be added to Pursuit Steering Group.

TPAC Training – PC Fletcher said 91 people are waiting for refresh training this October, need to look at to see if they all do actually need refresher training, SYP does not have enough trainers, although combined with Humberside there are adequate trainers, however this could have a location/travel impact.

ACTION:  PC Fletcher to review officers / staff awaiting TPAC Training to determine whether or not the course / need is required, liaising with Insp Clifton.

ACTION:  CI Walne to review TPAC Training need within RPG and FSG, update Supt Moran.

Driver Attitude Training – PC Fletcher advised that the blanket training has been cancelled.

PC Fletcher told the meeting that Humberside have Cascade Trainers.

8 ANY OTHER BUSINESS
OP FOCUS – Insp Clifton
Details of a stolen vehicle broadcasted on Radio Hallam yesterday morning had not been passed out on 91 by Silver Support.

ACTION:  Supt Moran to reinforce procedures for Op Focus to Silver Support.

 

 

Date: 

Wednesday, 13 June, 2012 - 13:00