Senior Command Team Meeting

Senior Command Team Meeting
Monday 5th March 2012


PRESENT
T/CC Bob Dyson (Chair)
T/DCC Andy Holt
ACC Max Sahota
ACO Ian Watson
DF Nigel Hiller

 

DECLARATION(S) OF INTEREST
There were no declarations of interest.

PRESENTATION
None

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 20 FEBRUARY 2012
RESOLVED – These were approved as an accurate record. 

ACTION SCHEDULE AND WORK PROGRAMME
Item 1 - Ongoing
Item 2 - Actioned
Item 3 - Ongoing  
 

PORTFOLIO ISSUES

T/CC B Dyson

• Provided SCT with a further update in relation to Federation representation at the Olympics duties, following a request from the SYPF that SCT considered and approved for    
   federation officers to play their part in a national plan for the Olympics.  
    ACTION – T/CC Dyson to liaise with WYP to find out if they are supporting the decision.


T/DCC Holt

•  Sir Norman raised a potential option regarding the use of brigaded Special Constables to support the Olympic Torch Relay across the YH.
    ACTION – ACC Sahota to provide an update for Sir Norman.
• Informed of current Misconduct Reviews, with the added request for SCT support in making time available to accommodate some of these and upcoming case reviews.
• Superintendent Promotions were discussed. 
   RESOLVED – SCT agreed to two promotions from CI to Superintendent rank in Sheffield and Barnsley .  A date is yet to be agreed.


ACC Sahota

• Gave a brief Olympics Torch planning update, explaining that much of the planning is dictated by the Olympics Planning Team.  WYP have raised resourcing issues, in relation to
   using Special Constables, and a briefing note with this explanation will be going out shortly to all Chiefs to that effect.
• Has been sighted and kept in the loop with all the correspondence in relation to NPAS.  Asked if any further information was required before Friday’s PA meeting?
• Regional crime was discussed at the last RDG meeting where WYP and SYP were left to decide if they are going to do any further crime work including hi tech.  This will be
   discussed further a meeting with Heads of Crime today.

ACO Watson

• Good progress with the Recruitment Plan, with a target completion date of 16th April.  First intake will consist of a mixed intake of SYP & HU officers and trainers at Robert  
    Dyson  House (RDH).  Looked at doing PCSOs together but decided to do run it separately.  A PCSO powers review of other regional forces may be of interest to look at in
    further  decision makings.
    RESOLVED – For either CC or DCC to open the event at RDH
• Gave two personnel updates.


DF Hiller

• The Audit Commission has announced the results of its procurement exercise for public sector audits and that KPMG have won the contract for audits in Yorkshire &   
   Humberside.  There is a period of consultation between the Commission and audited bodies, with changes taking place from November 2012.
• Attended a Regional Officers Group meeting with the Head of IS, where his presentation was well received and supported.
• Briefed on the Regional Procurement interviews and outcome.
• Held lengthy debate on PCC Transition at recent Finance Directors and Treasurers meeting.


T/ACC Sanderson

• ASB Inspection - there were many aspects of good practice identified together with a number of AFIs ( Areas for Improvement ). The HMIC Report will be completed and sent to   
   the Force to check in terms of factual accuracy prior to being published in the public domain. An appropriate action plan will be developed and progressed by the Force ASB  
   Lead.   The current ASB Lead was thanked for his achievements and commitment to ASB across SYP during his time as Force Lead.
• Gave a personnel welfare update.


 FORCE PERFORMANCE

• Overall crime is down by 2.1% which equates to almost 2000 less crimes than last year.
• Serious acquisitive crime is down 3.8% but burglary dwellings are up 5.8% with Sheffield suffering the biggest rise  - efforts continuing to tackle this problem.
• Serious violent crime is down by 7.2%.
• Criminal damage is also down by 5.7%


Decision Paper


UNSOCIAL HOURS ALLOWANCE

This paper was presented by ACO Watson.  Following a meeting of the Winsor Strategic Implementation Group, it has been identified that an urgent need exists to  introduce a new policy preventing Police Officers from amending shift patterns to  gain a financial advantage from the new unsocial hour’s payment.
 
The paper put forward the recommendations:

1. SCT introduce an interim policy to prevent officers amending working hours, without authorisation at Commander of Head of Department level.
2. SCT agreed today that for an interim period all police officer shift changes need to be authorised by the District Commander/ Head of Department.

 RESOLVED – SCT agreed that for an interim period all police officer shift changes need to be authorised by the District Commander/Head of Department level.
 This decision is also worth mentioning at QRD.

FORCE CHAPLAINCY SCHEME

T/ACC Sanderson presented the paper for SCT to consider the future service provision of the Police Chaplaincy Scheme in response to the National Association of  Chaplains to the Police (NACP) recommendations and an internal review by the  South Yorkshire Workplace Chaplaincy (SYWC). 
 
The paper put forward the recommendation:

1. SCT recognise and resource the NACP as the professional body to co-ordinate the Chaplaincy Service within South Yorkshire Police.
       
RESOLVED – Paper was agreed. 
 
AMENDMENTS TO ANNUAL LEAVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE OLYMPIC PERIOD

ACC Sahota presented the paper and outlined the current position on resource requirements throughout the Olympic period and to seek SCT approval to the proposals discussed and agreed at the South Yorkshire Policing Board on 21 February 2012.

The paper put forward the following recommendations:

1. The annual leave allocation for the Olympic period be increased from 7% to 10% of operational establishment.
2. Given the risk to the organisation due to larger numbers of officers being on weekly leave at weekends, the extension to 10%, as above, should be restricted to Monday - Friday  
    only.
3. At the current time, no increase in the amount of leave allowed to be carried over into the 2013/14 year should be made.

RESOLVED – Paper was agreed. 
 

Discussion Information/Items
None


Audit Reports


BUDGET MONITORING REPORT
Noted.

STANDING ITEMS
None.

 
NOTIFICATION TO THE FORCE
None.


ANY OTHER BUSINESS
None.

Date: 

Monday, 5 March, 2012 - 10:00