Senior Command Team Meeting

Senior Command Team Meeting
Monday 9th July 2012


PRESENT
CC David Crompton (Chair)
DCC Bob Dyson
ACC Sahota
DF Nigel Hiller


DECLARATION(S) OF INTEREST
There were no declarations of interest.

PRESENTATION
None.

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 25 JUNE 2012
RESOLVED – These were approved as an accurate record. 

ACTION SCHEDULE AND WORK PROGRAMME
Item 6 – Actioned
Item 7 -  ACO Watson to provide an update on his return from annual leave.

PORTFOLIO ISSUES

CC Crompton

• Gave a Chief Constables’ Council debrief.

DCC Dyson 

• A Business Continuity Peer Review was undertaken by the Business Continuity Officer for SYFR.  The final report was well received with the SYFR ACFO  extending his thanks for allowing Eric to undertake the audit and review. SYFR have also offered reciprocal arrangements for the future.

• A LRQA report had been received following a tScheme assessment visit on 22 May. The assessment demonstrated that the force manages IAM Registration according to standard and that change to approval to include SYP within NPIA tScheme approval is recommended.

ACTION – DCC to liaise with Nick Gargan and T/CC Hyde with regard to streamlining the process to avoid going through several assessments.

• Flagged up a HMRC taxation issue in relation to tax relief applications.

ACTION – DF Hiller to liaise with Corporate Finance to write to staff associations informing them how the force applies taxation in respect of pension contributions with a view of them helping to stop any unwarranted applications to HMRC.
 

DF Hiller

• Regional working update:

  • formal IS consultation document has been issued to staff. 
  • work on Fleet and Facilities Services is ongoing.

• Advised SCT of potential plans by SYFR to develop two stations in which SNAs could also be located. 


ACC Holt

• PSU Mobilisation report.
ACTION – Deferred for next SCT meeting when ACC Holt is present.


ACC Sahota

• Discussed  and agreed SDRP (DCI) promotions.
• The Luxembourg Prime Minister is visiting Sheffield on 16 July.  OSS is planning the visit and currently working with various stakeholders including MPS, the Foreign Office, Embassy in terms of security recommendations.
• Flagged up the incident involving the Deputy Prime Minister’s recent visit to Sheffield.
• Gave a Command and Welfare Facilities update.  SYFRS have two command vehicles which could be used in a collaborative agreement but which require some upgrade. 
ACTION – ACC Sahota to get accurate figures.


FORCE PERFORMANCE
All Crime   -10.2%
Burglary in a dwelling  -7.4%
Criminal Damage  -17.5%
Serious Acquisitive Crime -2.3% 
Theft from a vehicle  +11.1%
Violent Crime   -13.7%


 
Decision Paper


CCTV CENTRALISATION

This paper, presented by ACC Holt, summarised the business case and financial implications in respect of Phase 2 of the Strategic CCTV Review and allowed for an informed decision to be made in respect of supporting allocation of funding for the upgrading of the SYP CCTV Suites and subsequent ‘centralisation’ on an invest-to-save basis.
ACTION – Paper is deferred. 

HMIC/P CLOSURE REPORT

ACC Sahota presented the final analysis of all works completed and remaining incomplete following the HMIP/C Inspection in July 2010.

The paper put forward the following recommendations:

1. SCT note the work completed.
2. SCT endorse the incomplete works as acceptable in the current financial climate and in the context of a fuller review of the custody suite accommodation strategy.
3. SCT endorse the subsequent risk assessments/ level of acceptable risk in respect of incomplete works.

RESOLVED – SCT noted the paper which is linked to the issues raised below.

RISK IN CUSTODY

ACC Sahota presented the paper to outline the problem highlighted in the risk and to put forward the potential costed solution for a decision to be made.

The paper put forward the recommendation:

1. That the SCT sanction the capital cost to bring about the remedial action necessary to mitigate the risk of poor fire detection due to inadequate ventilation within custody suites across the county.

RESOLVED – SCT agreed in principle but requested more accurate costings.


THE FUTURE OF CUSTODY

ACC Sahota presented the paper to highlight the need for development of the custody estate and to promote discussion of the direction of travel.

The paper put forward the following recommendations:

1. That the Senior Command Team agree the direction of travel and therefore commission specific work on the plan agreed.

2. To consider the closure of Ecclesfield Custody suite.

ACTION – CJAD Head to action the following:

1.  Doncaster:   get accurate costs so SCT can consider how this would be financed.
2.  Barnsley:  two options were presented (maintain or demolish and re-build).  SCT requested approximate costs for both options.
3. Ecclesfield:   closure of custody.  Paper detailing implications to be submitted.
4.  Sheffield/Rotherham:  consider other options other than a new build.

 

AVERAGE SPEED ENFORCEMENT SYSTEM

ACC Sahota presented the paper informing SCT the Strategic Safer Roads Partnership have approved the installation of an average speed enforcement system on the A61 Sheffield using funding obtained from Local Transport Plan. The funding will come to SYP to purchase and administer the scheme. Approval is sought from SCT to proceed with the scheme.
The paper put forward the following recommendation:

1. The Strategic Safer Roads Partnership have approved the installation of an average speed enforcement system on the A61 Sheffield using  funding obtained from Local Transport Plan. The funding will come to SYP to purchase and administer the scheme. Approval is sought from SCT to proceed with the scheme.
RESOLVED - Agreed as per recommendation.

OUTSTANDING WEEKLY LEAVE

DCC Dyson presented the paper to inform SCT of recent exchanges of correspondence with a Federation representative on the issue of outstanding weekly leaves and time off in lieu, and to consider a draft policy to deal with the issue.

The paper put forward the following recommendations:

1. SCT consider the report and the associated correspondence.  Having done so to discuss the proposed response to the Federation representative and agree the contents.

2. To consider the draft policy for the future management of outstanding weekly leaves and agree the next steps in formulating a policy.

RESOLVED -  DCC Dyson will provide a written response to the points raised in the correspondence, and look to working with Humberside, HR and Staff Associations to develop a workable solution and HR Policy for future implementation.


Discussion Paper


WIG
An update report was noted.
ACTION – ACO Watson to provide SCT with an update on PCSO recruitment.

SYP APPROACH TO YEAR-3 AND BEYOND OF CSR PERIOD

A paper was presented summarising discussions held at the Force Quarterly Review Day (QRD) on 11 June 2012 regarding this financial challenge, the examination of the force structure and proposed future models.

RESOLVED - The chief preferred the option of 4 Districts, with no changes in terms of SNTs.  Further development of this work to be completed by BCD T/Supt.
ACTION – CC’s Staff Officer to prepare a simple guide to Neighbourhoods detailing their locations, what they deal with and how they are linked to other business areas. 


Audit Reports


BUDGET MONITORING REPORT
Noted.


Papers to Review

CARBROOK

SCT noted an update on the refurbishment of the new police headquarters and agreed the paper.

  
NOTIFICATION TO THE FORCE
None.


ANY OTHER BUSINESS
None.

Date: 

Monday, 9 July, 2012 - 10:00