Senior Command Team Meeting
Monday 7th January 2013
CC David Crompton (Chair)
T/DCC Andy Holt
ACC Max Sahota
T/ACC Martyn Bates
DF Nigel Hiller
DECLARATION(S) OF INTEREST
There were no declarations of interest.
MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 12th NOVEMBER 2012
None as an informal SCT meeting took place.
ACTION SCHEDULE AND WORK PROGRAMME
Portfolio Issue 24/09/12 – Resolved.
• Requested SYP representation at the College of Policing briefing next Monday.
RESOLVED – T/ACC Bates will attend.
• Informed the HMIC Inspection Review Stop & Search is taking place this week.
• Currently working on information and recommendations the PCC has requested in relation to crime reduction targets.
ACTION – arrange a pre meet with the CC to discuss the information prepared.
• Provided an update on the options for the procurement and funding of water cannon which will now be raised as an agenda item for the next Chief Constables’ Council on 24th
January. General consensus was that SYP had no interest in this.
• Discussions and briefing updates have been given to the PCC in relation to CSE issues.
• Presented a paper prepared by Head of Finance outlining the changes to financial authorisations which were required to enable the Force to comply with legislation
following the implementation of the office of the PCC. These did not allow delegations to be made from the PCC to Police Officers. As a consequence Police
Officers could no longer authorise contractual documentation. Not withstanding the ultimate authorisation the Chief Constable required that existing procedures until the
point of authorisation were followed and District Commanders and Departmental Heads continued to be involved. The Director of Finance further advised that there
were ongoing meetings between the OPCC, legal services, corporate HR and corporate finance to work through revised governance arrangements.
• Gave SCT a comprehensive budget update following the meeting on the 3rd January at which budget proposals were discussed.
All Crime - 7.2%
Burglary + 0.2%
Burglary in a dwelling +5.9%
Theft from a person +29.8% (mostly Sheffield)
REVIEW, RETAIN OR DISPOSAL TEAM (RRD) AND DEVELOPMENT IN THE AREA OF DATA QUALITY
T/ACC Bates presented this paper for SCT to decide on the future direction of the Review, Retain or Disposal Team.
The following recommendations were put forward:
1. South Yorkshire Police to adopt fixed automatic retention periods on systems feeding PND
2. District Crime Managers to ensure that crime files pre-dating CMSii are reviewed and signposts made to their existence on OISii
3. Data Quality issues identified during CRB checks (and any other process) to be rectified on the appropriate system(s) with immediate effect by the RRD Team in their new scope
4. The OISii deletion script to be tested and put into operation
ACTION – Paper is deferred until information is provided from the IPCC regarding pending enquiries.
SENIOR DETECTIVE REVIEW PANEL RECOMMENDATIONS (DI)
T/ACC Bates presented this paper making recommendations regarding staff moves following the DI promotion boards and subsequent SDRP meeting.
The following recommendation was put forward:
1. That the SCT agree the promotions and moves outlined in the below paper that:
• are recommended by the SDRP
• are supported by District Commanders
• support individual development as well as organisational need
RESOLVED – Paper agreed by SCT with promotion meetings to be arranged in the CC’s diary.
DF Hiller presented this paper to recommend to SCT a significant increase in the number of Special Constabulary Officers within South Yorkshire Police. In addition, to outline the resource implications of increasing the Specials Establishment, and to provide further details concerning the specials attraction plan to increase the number of BME Special Officers as part of the revised recruitment plan.
RESOLVED – Paper was approved. As part of the discussion it was agreed that increased emphasis was needed for the retention of special constables. This should involve increase in the profile of special constables and additional opportunities for diversification within their role.
ACTION – T/DCC Holt to discuss phase 2 with Supt HR.
INTERNAL AUDIT REPORT
BUDGET MONITORING REPORT
Papers to Review
NOTIFICATION TO THE FORCE
ANY OTHER BUSINESS