Antisocial behaviour

Antisocial behaviour advice

Within South Yorkshire Police, we recognise that antisocial behaviour is a really important issue to both individuals and our communities.

Sometimes, constant nuisance or harassment can be worse than the impact of a single crime, because the victim can find no peace in their life.  Their health, mental or emotional well-being can suffer and they can become unable to carry out their normal day-to-day routine through fear and intimidation.

We believe that everyone has a right to pursue their life free from the worry and stress caused by antisocial behaviour.

What do police mean by antisocial behaviour?

Antisocial behaviour is any aggressive, intimidating or destructive activity that damages or destroys another person's quality of life.

It might include:

  • Nuisance, rowdy or inconsiderate neighbours.
  • Vandalism, graffiti and fly-posting
  • The buying or selling of drugs in public
  • Street drinking
  • Environmental damage including littering, dumping of rubbish and abandoning cars
  • Prostitution related activity
  • Begging and vagrancy
  • Fireworks misuse
  • Inconsiderate or inappropriate use of vehicles

There are many definitions in various laws about crime and antisocial behaviour.   The basic question is, “Is this more than a trivial nuisance”.  If it is, then it may be antisocial behaviour.

Officers from South Yorkshire Police will take a common-sense approach and we will always try to act if the conduct in question causes an adverse impact on your quality of life

What are we going to do about it?

It is our aim to reduce the incidence and fear of antisocial behaviour across South Yorkshire by effective police responses, enriched by local partnerships wherever possible, to help build stronger, safer and more confident communities.

We do this by:

  • Listening to individuals and communities when they report problems to us
  • Acting quickly to investigate, get the facts and take swift and positive police action to stop the problem as soon as possible
  • Working with partners to use their knowledge, skills and enforcement powers to find long-term solutions to problems
  • Staying in touch with victims, providing practical support and reassurance
  • Providing special care and support to the most vulnerable people in our communities

How should I report antisocial behaviour

The 101 Non-Emergency Number is the ideal way to report ongoing problems of antisocial behaviour.

Use  999 – only  if life is at risk or a crime is in progress
999 (SMS) - ONLY if you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired.

Anyone misusing the 999 number will have their phone disabled

You can also report antisocial behaviour direct to the local authority

If you have reported anti-social behaviour and you are concerned that not enough is being done, you can raise a ‘Community Trigger’.

See the guidance on reporting antisocial behaviour.

Can I report antisocial behaviour anonymously?

Yes, we recognise that being the person who first reports antisocial behaviour can sometimes make you more vulnerable until the problem is resolved, so we will accept anonymous reports.

You can also report matters anonymously through Crimestoppers  by telephone on 0800 555 111.

We would much rather you gave your details, because this will help us get back in touch to clarify important details, get further information and to see if we have been able to sort the problem out.

We will always respect your privacy and your wishes about future contact.  For example, we will not visit you unless you wish and we will be very sensitive about safeguarding your details when we deal with offenders.

It is always easier to deal effectively with antisocial behaviour if we can stay in touch with the victim, so we encourage you to have confidence in us and provide your details.

Will I have to go to court?

In many cases, police advice and support from partner agencies is enough to provide relief from the problem and allow people to move forward together.  However, it is sometimes necessary for the police and partners to use official powers or to take offenders to court.  In these serious cases you may have to give written evidence or attend court, but there are some cases where police officers can give evidence on behalf of individuals or groups.  If you do go to court, we will provide you with support at the time and afterwards back in your community.

Useful links

Antisocial behaviour advice and support

Direct.Gov ASB

Home Office ASB

Direct.Gov 101 Service Information



Local councils

Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council

Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council ASB Team

Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council ASB Reporting

Sheffield City Council


South Yorkshire Police does not endorse the views of any third party.