Vehicle Fleet Management Team Meeting

MINUTES

1. APOLOGIES - Gilding, Sarah (SG) - Head of VFM
__________________________________________________________________________

ATTENDEES -  Day, Dave (DD) – Senior Fleet Manager, (Chair)
  Anderson, Steve (SA) – Fleet Manager, Bodyshop
  Kelly, Nicky (NK) – Operational Management Accountant
  Buckley, Jo (JH) – Driver Services Manager
  Stockham, Andy (AS) – Fleet Manager, Doncaster Garage
  Askwith, Heather (HA) – Departmental HR Partner
  Crawford , Don (DC) – Fleet Manager, Churchill Garage
  Stiles, Mandy (MS) – Administrator (Minutes)

2. OPEN SESSION


3. STANDING ITEMS

3.1 Minutes of previous meeting and actions    
The minutes of the previous meeting in February (March meeting was cancelled) were approved as a true record.  The action schedule was reviewed and updated, see action schedule dated 17-04-13.
 
3.2 Matters arising from the Open Session of previous minutes   
None.

3.3 Declarations of Any Other Business
• Electric/hybrid vehicles
• I-Proc orders
• BMW ordering system
• Tyre run flat bands
• Goodyear representative
• Training
• FAB

3.4 Finance  
NK reported that the year ended in a better position than we thought at £60,000 overspent, which equates to redundancy payment not budgeted for. Had it not been for that, we would have come in on budget. It is possible that the overspend may have to be carried forward but as the overspend was due to a redundancy payment, this may not be the case.  There is an under spend on the capital programme but this goes to the PCC for final confirmation.  NK explained she intends to keep a close eye on the fuel position during the next financial year.  It was agreed that Merridale training could be arranged for the end of this month if possible.

DD reminded everyone that cost savings still need to be made next year.  NK reported that she had explained to Corporate Finance that with reduced incomes from vehicles being given up, VFM cannot also make savings and Corporate Finance seem to have accepted this.  DD reported that SG is doing what she can to pull some work in from the Ambulance Service, which is required in the Doncaster area.  If this comes to fruition, it will create some additional revenue.  AS suggested trying British Transport Police and the Highways Agency.

3.4.1 Trading Accounts 
NK gave everyone a copy of the trading accounts for March.

3.5 Regional Working Update
DD has a meeting next Monday with Keith Hidle with regard to the tender for the service and repair of HGVs.

3.5.1 Tranman Upgrade
NK reported that this was on hold at the moment.

3.6 Business Planning        
Nothing to report.

3.7  Human Resources 
HA reported on sickness absence and incapacity action plans and discussed outstanding PDRs.

3.7.1 Apprentices
AS asked if a start date had been agreed for the apprentices.  SA said that one was undergoing medical checks at Occupational Health and that vetting had gone through OK.  HA  agreed to follow up on this.

3.8 Risk Registers and Business Continuity
The next quarterly meeting is scheduled for 11 June 2013.  Nothing further to report. 

3.9 Performance
3.9.1 Vehicle Availability
– the dips in vehicle availability were discussed.  For Doncaster a shortage of pool cars had made it difficult getting vehicles in for service.

3.9.2 Jobcards – It was noted there was an impact from a number of Commissioning job cards which had been open since August and still not closed.  SA advised that if they were new vehicles in preparation the status should be allocated as ‘N’ on Tranman.

Action 1 - 17.04.13:  Dave Day to speak to commissioning with regard to new vehicles in preparation being allocated as ‘N’ on Tranman.    
       
3.10 Equality and Diversity
Nothing to report.

3.11 Stock Control
The results of the 100% stock takes conducted at year end are as follows:
• Churchill workshop
Imprest stock, no discrepancy
Non imprest stock up £71.59 which represents 0.45%
• Commissioning  
£7.16 down which represents 0.02%
• Doncaster Workshop
 Imprest stock, no discrepancy
Non imprest stock, no discrepancy
• Rotherham Bodyshop
 stock, down £0.27
DD thanked JB for her efforts in taking over the stocktaking as the situation was much improved.

3.12 Sustainability
Don Crawford and Stuart Webster attended a carbon footprint meeting recently and reported that a waste audit is due in May. SA has spoken to Danielle Taylor about our current situation with bumpers..
 
    
4 ANY OTHER BUSINESS  
4.1  Electric / Hybrid vehicles
AS said there was an electric vehicle course available at GTA on 8 May at a cost of £250 and suggested that one technician from each workshop attend.

Action  2 - 17.04.13: Dave Day to speak with SG to decide whether to send someone for the training at GTA with regard to electric vehicles at a cost of £250 per person.

4.2  I-Proc Orders
AS said this was going OK, but queried what would happen when he was on annual leave for a period of time.  It was agreed that as according to Financial Instructions, orders can only be approved at Fleet Manager level or above, they will be forwarded to whichever Manager is available at the time.

4.3  BMW Ordering System
SA reported that the system had been set up and he and Keith had received passwords.  Once it is up and running at the Bodyshop, SA agreed to pass the information on to Churchill Way.

4.4 Tyre Run Flat Bands
It had been noted that a number of vehicles coming in, especially Sheffield vehicles, don’t have run flat bands on.  AS and DC are addressing this now but as a result need to purchase a new tool at a  cost of £500.  This was agreed.  We also need to ensure the company now supplying our tyres know what our requirements are.

Action 3 - 17.04.13: Don Crawford to follow up with the company that currently supplies our tyres to ensure they are supplying them with run flat bands.

4.5 Goodyear representative
AS was concerned as he had not seen the rep from Goodyear. DD advised that the current rep was Kieran Panchell and that AS should contact him direct.

4.6 Training
AS was concerned that he hadn’t heard whether training requests submitted had been approved or not.  HA said she would follow up on this.

Action  4 - 17.04.13: Heather Askwith to follow up on training requests that have been submitted to find out whether or not they had been approved.

4.7 FAB
SA stated the figures  relating to savings published by FAB are retail prices and not the purchase price that we pay for the recycled item.  Also, some panels they supply may need minor repairs but providing we make contact with them and let them know the cost of the repair, they are prepared to negotiate a price reduction equivalent to the repair cost.

DD thanked everyone for their efforts over the last financial year.

Date and time of next meeting
1.30pm on Wednesday 22 May 2013, VFM Conference Room, Unit 17, Churchill Way.   

Date: 

Wednesday, 17 April, 2013 - 13:30