Barnsley District Command Team Meeting - 9 July 2013

In Attendance:  Chief Superintendent Andy Brooke (Chair)
DCI Mark Wilkie, Crime Manager
Mary Verity, Business Manager
Phil Swain, Operational Management Accountant
Heather Askwith, HR Operational Partner
Superintendent Liz Watson, Operations
CI Andy Hodgkinson, Response
T/Chief Inspector Simon Wanless, Safer Neighbourhoods
A/PS Andy Froggatt, Staff Officer
Paisley Spink, Hi Tech Crime re. Item 4
Eileen Sanderson, Chaplain (Observer)

Apologies:  None

Copy to:  Rachel Lilley, Barnsley District Liaison Officer


1. APOLOGIES

1.1 As above.


2. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING & MATTERS ARISING

2.1 The minutes of the last meeting dated 11 June 2013 were agreed as an accurate record.


3. ACTIONS FROM LAST MEETING

3.1 Talent Management. Chief Supt. Brooke to capture the findings from the Talent Management meeting on an Action Plan.  Chief Supt. Brooke and Mary Verity to discuss.  Rotherham are progressing this subject in relation to both police officers and police staff – Chief Supt. Brooke suggested he meet with the Rotherham Action Managers.  Ongoing.
 
3.2 Volunteers.  A meeting to be arranged between Chief Superintendent Brooke, CI Hodgkinson, A/CI Wanless, Mary Verity, Inspectors Burgess and Mitchell to discuss volunteering opportunities in more detail.  A meeting has taken place and officers identified to progress.  Discharged.

3.3 Specials.  A/CI Wanless to produce a process map around the deployment of Specials.  Prior to a process map being completed, District are ensuring that the Specials are attaining the independent patrol status.  T/CI Wanless was requested to raise projected numbers, allocation and management at a future Command Team meeting.  Discharged.

3.4 Victim Support.  Chief Supt. Brooke to ensure Victim Support is on the agenda for staff briefings.  Completed.  Discharged.

3.5 Closed.

3.6 OMA Financial Commentary.  Chief Superintendent Brooke and Mary Verity to discuss with CI Hodgkinson the potential to create a Response Team Clerk post.  HR confirmed that due to the resignation of an officer from post BA1135 this could be re-assigned.  Action:  Response Team Clerk – Heather Askwith, CI Hodgkinson and Mary Verity to progress.

 

 

4. HI-TECH CRIME

4.1 Paisley Spink introduced herself as the new Hi-Tech Crime Manager.  Hi-Tech Crime encompasses communications data investigation and digital forensics/examination of devices with Paisley currently building a performance management framework in relation to both.  The opinions of the Force Command Teams who are regularly progressing  applications is therefore valued.  Discussion then ensued relating to the workings of the data and digital forensics systems.


5. LOCAL CRIME & PCC POLICING PLAN

5.1 Summary of Year to Date Performance re PCC Targets

All crime is up by 3.6% (136 offences). 

ASB is down by 4%.   

Burglary dwelling is up by 23% (52 offences). 

Vehicle crime is up by 17.3% (72 offences).

Criminal damage is down by 7.9% (59 offences).

Violence with injury is up by 31% (85 offences).  This rise is linked to domestic violence and the fact that the first three months of last year having low levels of DV incidents.

Hate crime is level as the same period last year.

The positive outcome overall detection rate is 30.4%.

5.2 Forthcoming Events/Operations

No issues arose from the Barnsley Live event on 22 June 2013.  Positive feedback was received from MPs and the policing of the event.

The first Barnsley friendly match will take place on the 12th July 2013; Barnsley-v-Wolves on Saturday 20 July 2013.  The Barnsley-v-Bordeaux match is scheduled for the 27th July.

Saturday 13th July will see the Lord Mayor’s Parade taking place.

A Homecoming Parade will take place on Thursday 18th July 2013. 


6. PROTECTION FROM SERIOUS HARM

6.1 Major Crime Investigations

Discussed prior to the meeting.


7. DISTRICT MANAGEMENT/VALUE FOR MONEY

7.1 Update from Key Force Meetings

Diamond Projects.  The PPU Review will be discussed at a future SY Policing Board. 

The Intelligence Review was approved and will be implemented.

The centralisation of Re-active CID was rejected, Re-active CID to remain under District control. 

Two officers from District will be centralised following the Economic Crime Review. 

Chief Supt. Odell has been tasked with reviewing District policing.  The detail of this to be agreed.

Chief Supt. Brooke is currently working with OSS in respect of their review.

Ops & Performance.  Staff have been trained in Supporting Reporting, i.e. when officers are pending misconduct panels that officer will be allocated a Welfare Officer, however a gap has been identified where the officer reporting the incident is not supported.  Around 4 officers per District have been trained to support the complainants. 

A review of PACE9s is taking place which could lead to an electronic system being linked into the Custody system.

Strategic Mental Health Meeting.  A Home Office meeting has been scheduled where 6 pilot forces, including SYP, will discuss building a better service linked to health.  YAS are already progressing this with North Yorkshire with SYP looking to have one officer to cover the whole Force, a YAS and an AMP who all have access to the same systems.

A new Mental Health guidance document highlights the fact that YAS, not SYP, should transport any S136 patients unless they are extremely intoxicated or violent.  YAS are currently signing up to a 30 minute time scale agreement to attend at the police’s request in order to convey mental health patients to facilities.

7.2 Closed.

7.3 Closed.

A major incident table top exercise will take place in the near future for Gold and Silver officers.

7.4 Business Plan

Business Plan Projects.  The projects have been reviewed.

7.5 Human Resource Issues

Establishment.  All internal transfers were discussed within the meeting.

Personnel & Welfare Issues.  Deferred to the next meeting.

 Awards.  Action:  Chief Supt. Brooke to circulate to District the Barnsley Award ceremony criteria. 

 Post Meeting Update:  Completed.  Discharged.

7.6 Performance Visit Action Schedule

Deferred to the next meeting.

7.7 Audit Reports

 Following a recent District audit, Internal Audit could identify no actions from all areas covered.  Good Work Notices have therefore been prepared for all support staff involved. 

7.8 Retail Crime

 It has been highlighted that 10% of District crime relates to shoplifting with a further 3% associated with drive offs and associated fraud.  Doncaster have reduced crime by 25% by having a dedicated unit to action this.  DCI Wilkie proposed that he re-align staff to form a unit of three officers (2 detectives and one uniform) to be run by the CMU Sergeant.  Action:  DCI Wilkie, Chief Supt. Brooke and Supt. Watson to discuss the proposal.
 

 

8. ANY OTHER BUSINESS

8.1 Staff Briefings.  The next quarter’s briefings will be progressed by Chief Supt. Brooke and Supt. Watson.  The briefings will include items such a performance, integrity and mobile phones.

8.2 Eileen Sanderson thanked everyone for allowing her to be present at the meeting.  As Chaplain, over a period of time she will attend every response team briefing.

8.3 Leaders in Action Away Days.  Action:  Chief Supt. Brooke and Supt. Watson to discuss.

8.4 CASPRE Performance.  Supt. Watson advised Rotherham are in the lead and Barnsley second in terms of performance.  Following the collation of data relating to quality assurance, Supt. Watson will identify the 10 best and worst supervisors submitting files, with a request that they attend CJU for remedial training.  The top 10 officers that have the highest number of rejected files will be identified and NCALT progressed again.

8.5 Missing from Home Enquiry.  Following a recent MFH enquiry, PPU have highlighted a number of failures.  The Command Team were requested to ensure the senior officer review is completed in a timely manner, PPU will progress training with supervisors and the item will be raised at all Superintendent briefings.

Date: 

Monday, 15 July, 2013 - 15:30