Barnsley District Command Team Meeting

In Attendance:  Chief Superintendent Andy Brooke (Chair)
Mary Verity, Business Manager
Phil Swain, Operational Management Accountant
Heather Askwith, HR Operational Partner
CI Andy Hodgkinson, Response
T/Chief Inspector Simon Wanless, Safer Neighbourhoods

Apologies:  Superintendent Liz Watson, Operations
A/PS Andy Froggatt, Staff Officer
DCI Mark Wilkie, Crime Manager

Copy to:  Rachel Lilley, Barnsley District Liaison Officer


1.1 As above.


2.1 The minutes of the last meeting dated 23 July 2013 were agreed as an accurate record.


3.1 Talent Management.  Superintendent Watson and Mary Verity to progress.  A meeting has taken place and thoughts discussed.  Mary Verity will forward an update to Tanya Wright, Force Lead; Supt. Watson will also submit a report to Chief Supt. Brooke.  Talent management will be raised within the District’s forthcoming Away Days.  Discharged. 
3.2 Response Team Clerk.  Heather Askwith, CI Hodgkinson and Mary Verity to progress.  Due to ongoing Diamond reviews, it was felt that the post would not be supported.  Discharged.  Action:  Mary Verity and Chief Supt. Brooke to agree how to utilise the vacant Enquiry Desk post.

3.3 Retail Crime Unit Proposal.  Chief Supt. Brooke, DCI Wilkie and Supt. Watson to discuss.  Ongoing.

3.4 Leaders in Action Away Days.  Chief Supt. Brooke and Supt. Watson to discuss.  Dates have been confirmed.  Discharged.

3.5 AFPs.  Chief Superintendent Brooke, Superintendent Watson and DCI Wilkie to meet and finalise the allocation of AFPs.  Suggestions for the nine additional posts are as follows:  5 to Response, 1 x School’s Co-ordinator post for the Academies, 1 x Re-active CID.  Consideration will be given to the 2 remaining posts being allocated to the Rape Unit and Retail Crime Co-ordinator post.  This will be further discussed within the Business Plan meeting.  Discharged.

3.6 BA0241.  Chief Superintendent Brooke, Superintendent Watson, DCI Wilkie and DI Hancock to meet and discuss options around the post.  As part of the CID review, post BA0241 will be dis-established and another post re-created within Re-active CID.  Discharged.


4.1 Summary of Year to Date Performance re PCC Targets

All crime is up by 4.4% (239 offences). 

ASB is down by 3%.   

Burglary dwelling is up by 12.8% (41 offences). 

Vehicle crime is up by 24.5% (135 offences).

Criminal damage is down by 9.4% (101 offences).

Violence with injury is up by 23.1% (92 offences).  

Hate crime is up by 9.4% (3 offences).

Personal robbery is up by 84% (16 offences) and business property up by 233% (7 offences).  Detections will be clarified. 

The positive outcome overall detection rate is 31.4% which highlights Barnsley as best in Force.

4.2 Forthcoming Events/Operations

 The Barnsley-v-Huddersfield match will take place on 31 August 2013. 

Gay Pride is scheduled for 1 September 2013.

The Che Bar has been approved a licence for Peel Street to be closed on the 14th September 2013 due to 2,000 people being expected to attend a music event.  The venue has appointed road marshalls and the SNT will be working on the day who have also been involved in the planning meetings.  Specials will run a recruitment stand and patrol the area.


5.1 Major Crime Investigations

Not discussed due to the absence of CID.


6.1 Update from Key Force Meetings

SYPB. The Chief Constable talked about Valuing the Police 3 which is the HMIC report into the Comprehensive Spending Review, indicating that SYP were one of 5 Forces that would probably not achieve the savings.  He advised that every project needs to achieve between 15 and 25% savings.

Stage 2 Transfers to the PCC.  The PCC wants police staff in operational roles to be under the Chief Constable, the remainder to the PCC.

Regionalised Approach.  From 2 September SYP will be the lead Force in respect of armed crime and procurement, West Yorkshire has crime.

 There is a recommendation to the Diamond Board of the centralisation of CMU under OSS.

The Chief Constable wants Districts to review Bank Holiday working to try and reduce overtime spend.

 A three shift pattern will be in place by early October in respect of Re-active CID.

DCC Holt actioned that a centralised team of night detectives will be deployed from HQ and not Districts.  

The principle of the Governance Review about meeting structures and the simplification of this was presented and agreed. 

The Fitness Test was discussed and the fact that officers are being injured by pushing themselves beyond the required levels. 

 Practical delivery leadership training will take place.

Volunteers.  Following approval at the PCCs Governance meeting, 100 volunteers will be recruited from around the Force on a 12 month pilot scheme.  A Force Media and Marketing drive will take place.

6.2 OMA Financial Commentary


Efficiency Savings.  On track.

Modernisation Plans.  The Hate Crime Co-ordinator post has been referred back to Establishment Control.  Interviews will take place within the next two weeks.

6.3 Risk Register


Business Continuity.  Not discussed.

6.4 Business Plan

Business Plan Projects.  Of the 12 projects, 6 have been updated, the remaining 6 are the performance plans for ASB.  Chief Supt. Brooke requested consideration be given to key priority submissions relating to District’s approach to burglary dwelling, optimal forager and ASB.  Action:  The Enforcement Team accommodation will be raised as a new project.

6.5 Human Resource Issues

Establishment.  Heather Askwith advised that HR are currently working on the figures, therefore she would provide a better update at the next meeting.

Personnel & Welfare Issues.  Discussed within the meeting.

 Awards.  As some teams have not forwarded nominations for the District Award Ceremony, the deadline will be extended. 

6.6 Performance Visit Action Schedule

The next Performance meeting is scheduled for Friday 23 August 2013.

6.7 Audit Reports

 No new items. 

7.1 Closed.

7.2 Closed.


Tuesday, 20 August, 2013 - 10:00