OSS Comms Management Team Meeting

 

OSS COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENT

MANAGEMENT TEAM MEETING

MINUTES

 

Wednesday 19 June 2013

Atlas Court

10.00 am

 

 

 

PRESENT:

 

Tracy Potter

Operations Manager

Rebecca Chapman

Inspector/Force Incident Manager

Barbara Russell

HR Shared Partner

Teresa Govier

Operations Support Manager)

Diana Harris

Performance & Planning Manager

Joyce Elias

Secretary (minutes)

APOLOGIES

 

Adrian Moran

Superintendent (Chair)

Francine Timperley-Walker

Functional Manager (Call Handling)

Julian Roper

Business Change Officer

Adele Cooper

CST Manager

 

 

1

WELCOME & APOLOGIES

 

Attendees and apologies noted above. 

 

2

PREVIOUS MINUTES

 

The minutes of the meeting held on 21 May 2013 were agreed as a true record of the meeting.

 

3

ACTION SCHEDULE

 

Updates recorded on action schedule..

 

4

DECLARATION OF ANY OTHER BUSINESS

 

Quality – Teresa Govier (see Item 7)

OSS Command Team Meeting Update – Tracy Potter

QRD Update – Tracy Potter

 

5

OPERATING PLAN

 

TENS accessed, all projects updated in June, no concerns.

 

6

RISK REGISTER

 

No new risks.

 

7

PERFORMANCE

 

P&Q report for May sent out with meeting papers, Tracy Potter highlighted the key areas:

999 took approx 15 less calls than this time last year; abandonment rate and average queue time down; service level up by 3%.  Very good particularly as overtime risk management process now in place.

Tracy has asked for focus on the primary and secondary 999, we have been falling down on secondaries which was affecting service level.

BT Delayed reports down to 12

 

Non 999 significant decrease in call volumes (probably process i.e. Sheffield landline calls going direct to call handlers), abandonment rate, queue times both lower than last year.

 

Julian Roper doing some work around OOH Homeless calls, significant increase particularly in March when it snowed.  Also monitoring Childrens OOH calls as these have also risen.

 

CRB (Teresa Govier updated) service levels up 2%, criming from the scene is having a positive effect (no spikes at end of shifts).

 

PNC (figures not on P&Q report):

Arrest Summons up on April at 90.6%

Disposals down on April but still well above target, 91.8%

 

Priority Incidents (Tracy Potter updated) following issues with C & K districts, meetings have been set up with Sheffield and Rotherham Command Teams to predominantly address their resourcing and active queues.  Tracy asked Teresa Govier to communicate the following messages:

 

ACTION:  Dispatch operators to give out jobs as instruction or direction (not general shouts)

 

ACTION:  Team Leaders to apply a common sense approach to jobs on the queues.

 

CST performance slightly down on this time last year but have taken on additional work, dip in service levels around 9 pm, no real concern.

 

QA / TUTOR UNIT UPDATE

May report attached to minutes. 

 

ACTION:  Diana Harris to put Tutor Unit Report on Supervisor Zone.

 

Diana Harris gave an overview of key areas and the following actions were agreed:

 

ACTION:  MISPERS – Teresa Govier to feedback trends to Team Leaders particularly issue around concern for safety (also feedback positive results).

 

ACTION:  ASB / HATE CRIME – not picking up ASB with elements of Hate Crime; also Team Leaders to take more positive action where we’ve not asked or documented the vulnerable questions – Teresa Govier to address.

 

ACTION:  Diana Harris to communicate positive results around Domestic.

 

ACTION:  Diana Harris to pass on thanks from Management Team to the Tutor Unit for the checks and to Julie Humphries for the level of detail in her report.

 

ACTION:  Teresa Govier to pass on thanks to all staff for the positive way Action Fraud has been embraced

 

The department’s strategy on Quality has been reviewed, aim getting it right first time.

The data presented has been improved, it is now all serviceable, training in overlaps will be arranged. Intention is for Team Leaders to do 1st level checking and Tutor Unit and Functional Managers will do 2nd level.

 

COMPLAINTS & COMPLIMENTS

No complaints received in May.

Two compliments received and 19 pieces of Good Work recorded.

Staff are being encouraged to use the Applause Board.

 

TRAINING

Quarterly training meeting held last week, Jane Hardcastle’s priorities discussed and agreed.

Discussed Training Day content – morning Q&A session with Management Team including a HR update; Op Optimal, afternoon Team Building exercise to be managed by the Well Being Group.

Two top floor Team Leaders, one new, one experience have attended an Absence Management workshop trial at the Hydra Suite.

 

8

ORGANISATIONAL & MANAGEMENT

 

HR Issues

Barbara Russell updated:

Sickness above force average but slightly down since November.

PDR – 43 outstanding, new system announcement, all will be reviewed during April, 5 have been returned incomplete.

NCALT – compulsory courses – 85% complete.

 

Recruitment – Tracy Potter updated:

March course out, April course in Tutor Unit, ten start 24 June.

Now managing overtime more robustly and assessing the risk daily.

SCT paper written outlining risks if we do not recruit, attrition currently around three per month.  Nine staff due to leave in September.

Currently 4 posts will not be filled until outcome of Atlas Diamond Review known.

  

Health & Safety

A member of staff who burnt their hand on the water boiler and took a day off did not think the day should be record as sick.  Barbara Russell said this was not the case, the incident would not be classed as an injury on duty, however, the circumstances would be taken in to consideration if staff member’s sickness level was under review.

 

Finance (Tracy Potter)

no update 

Equality (Tracy Potter)

no update 

9

POLICIES / KNOWLEDGE BANK

 

No items submitted, Julian Roper now managing admin side.

 

ACTION:  Tracy Potter to get update from Julian Roper on knowledge bank process and any new policies that have been added.

 

10

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

 

 

QRD – Supt Moran

Meeting 17 June, Supt Moran attended and prepared a brief on the key topics which Tracy Potter communicated.

 

Fitness Tests – FIM

Insp Chapman asked if FIMs were required to attend, Barbara Russell believes initially it will be managed within Personal Safety Training but that all officers will be required to take the test eventually.

 

ACTION:  Barbara Russell to check that all FIMs are on list for Personal Safety Training.

 

OSS Command Team Meeting / Diamond Review – Tracy Potter

At yesterday’s meeting the various departments presented their initial options in respect of areas of the business to review, in respect of Comms/Atlas Court a briefing from Supt Moran has been put on the Briefing Site (new room created for the Review).  Current position:

  • Meeting of Senior Review Team inc Critical Friend – Monday 24 June 2013
  • Terms of Reference for each piece of work, issued.
  • Tracy Potter commenced meetings with Team leads / reps
  • Teams will present findings 15 August.

 

Insp Chapman suggested having a Post-It Board for ideas.

 

ACTION:  Insp Chapman to arrange with Admin for a Post-It Board.

 

11

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

THURSDAY 18 JULY 2013 – ATLAS COURT – 10.00 am – NEW DATE

   

 

Date: 

Wednesday, 19 June, 2013 - 10:00