Barnsley District Command Team Meeting - 3 September 2013 - 10.00 am

 
In Attendance:  

Chief Superintendent Andy Brooke (Chair)
CI Andy Hodgkinson, Response
DCI Mark Wilkie, Crime Manager
Phil Swain, Operational Management Accountant
Mary Verity, Business Manager
Heather Askwith, HR Operational Partner
A/PS Andy Froggatt, Staff Officer

Apologies:  

Superintendent Liz Watson, Operations
T/Chief Inspector Simon Wanless, Safer Neighbourhoods

Copy to:  

Rachel Lilley, Barnsley District Liaison Officer


1. APOLOGIES

1.1 As above.


2. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING & MATTERS ARISING

2.1 The minutes of the last meeting dated 20 August 2013 were agreed as an accurate record.


3. ACTIONS FROM LAST MEETING

3.1 Retail Crime Unit Proposal.  Chief Supt. Brooke, DCI Wilkie and Supt. Watson to discuss.  A decision has been made to establish a Retail Crime Unit.  Its focus will be high visibility and preventative activity.  Discharged.
 
3.2 Enquiry Desk Post.  Mary Verity and Chief Supt. Brooke to agree how to utilise the vacant Enquiry Desk post.  Given the imminent centralisation of CCTV, it was suggested that the vacant Enquiry Desk post could be utilised to create a Crime Scene Investigator type position.  This would offer some resilience in that department and provide a CCTV evidence gathering capability.  As the posts are different grades, however, it was advised that this would not be viable.  The creation of a Band B post to work alongside CCTV in terms of downloads was then discussed.  Action:  Chief Superintendent Brooke to liaise with CI Kent and determine if there will be a requirement to use the vacant post to establish a CCTV Evidence Review post. 

3.3 Business Plan.  The Enforcement Team accommodation will be raised as a new project.  Completed.  Discharged.


4. LOCAL CRIME & PCC POLICING PLAN

4.1 Summary of Year to Date Performance re PCC Targets

All crime is up by 3.6% (212 offences).  This is an improvement on the 4.4% (239 offences) reported at the last meeting on 20 August.

ASB is down by 3%.   

Burglary dwelling is up by 12.6% (43 offences). 

Vehicle crime is up by 25.5% (155 offences).

Criminal damage is down by 12% (137 offences).

Violence with injury is up by 23.9% (105 offences).  

Hate crime is down by 5.3% (2 offences).

Shoplifting is up by 18% (103 offences).

Closed. 

4.2 Forthcoming Events/Operations

 Crime related operations have been organised.


5. PROTECTION FROM SERIOUS HARM

5.1 Major Crime Investigations

A number of complaints are ongoing around historic investigations. 


6. DISTRICT MANAGEMENT/VALUE FOR MONEY

6.1 Update from Key Force Meetings

SYPB. An initial discussion and consultation took place around the review of OSS but no decisions were made.  

CID shift patterns were discussed and Superintendent Murphy presented a different approach to the two options.  Chief Superintendent Brooke advised that Barnsley favoured Option 2 but following a discussion, a decision was taken to adopt Option One. 

OSS call handling processes were discussed. 

The Sergeant’s promotion process was discussed.

Commanders were asked to discuss their approach to the autumn crime initiative.

Superintendent Odell spoke around the Force operating model, which includes demand mapping and clear operating models.  This led to a discussion around a paper he had taken to the SCT in respect of the District Review and equal savings from SCS, OSS and Districts.  The paper has since been agreed and to take this forward, DCC Holt has requested that Commanders identify staff from their respective Districts to work on the review.  Barnsley has been asked to nominate an Inspector and PC as a minimum.  Chief Superintendent Brooke and CI Hodgkinson will discuss this further outside the meeting.

Resources are to be increased within the Hillsborough investigation team.

A discussion took place around the staff survey.

Crime Conference.  The night rota for Detectives was discussed and the suggestion that a DI be included within that.  The Police Federation is now involved in discussions around the rota and its implementation.

6.2 Closed.

6.3 Closed.

6.4 Business Plan

Business Plan Projects.  A project around the Enforcement Team accommodation has been included.  Other projects include performance plans for the key crime category areas, CSE, Staff Survey, the CCTV Review and the impact on District and Health and Wellbeing.

6.5 Closed

 Awards.  Nominations have been received for the District Award Ceremony. 

6.6 Performance Visit Action Schedule

Deferred to next meeting.

6.7 Audit Reports

 No new items. 
 

7. ANY OTHER BUSINESS

7.1 PCSO Van.  The PCSO van at Goldthorpe was booked in for a service recently and it identified that work amounting to approximately £1k was required.  Before agreeing to the repairs, the utilisation of the vehicle has been discussed and this revealed that in the main it is used for warrants.  Christine Thomas has done some further work in relation to utilisation of Response and SNT vehicles and this identified that Cudworth is the only SNT with one vehicle.  It is therefore anticipated that a request will be made for an under-utilised Response car to be transferred to Cudworth to provide an additional vehicle for the SNT.  Chief Superintendent Brooke queried if the District could relinquish the PCSO van and replace it with a car, his suggestion being to give Cudworth one of the marked CID cars and replace that with a plain car for CID.  A discussion followed.  Action:  Mary Verity to discuss vehicles in more detail with T/CI Wanless and CI Hodgkinson outside the meeting and report back to Chief Superintendent Brooke.  The repairs to the van were not approved.

 


 

Date: 

Monday, 16 September, 2013 - 15:00