Vehicle Fleet Management Team Meeting

 NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED


1. APOLOGIES -  Kelly, Nicky (NK) – Operational Management Accountant
     Day, Dave (DD) – Senior Fleet Manager,
_________________________________________

 ATTENDEES  -  Gilding, Sarah (SG) - Head of VFM, (Chair)
    Anderson, Steve (SA) – Fleet Manager, Bodyshop
    Buckley, Jo (JH) – Driver Services Manager
    Stockham, Andy (AS) – Fleet Manager, Doncaster Garage
    Askwith, Heather (HA) – Departmental HR Partner
    Crawford , Don (DC) – Fleet Manager, Churchill Garage
    Stiles, Mandy (MS) – Administrator (Minutes)

2. OPEN SESSION


3. STANDING ITEMS

3.1 Minutes of previous meeting and actions    
The minutes of the previous meeting on 17 April 2013 were approved as a true record.  The action schedule was reviewed and updated, see action schedule dated 22-05-13.
 
3.2 Matters arising from the Open Session of previous minutes   
None.

3.3 Declarations of Any Other Business
• Disposal of Volvo Tyres
• Winter Tyres
• Pollen Filters

3.4  Department Structure 
3.4.1 Projects
3.4.1.1 Savings
SG is preparing a report of savings to be made across VFM garages, with input from HA on HR and NK on finance implications which is due to be submitted to SCT on 10 June 2013.  A discussion took place around the possible areas that savings could be made.

3.4.1.2 Visibility
SG explained that one of the PCC’s priorities is to increase visibility across the Force and SG has been working on this with Districts and Departments.  The has now accelerated  to an order being placed (17/05/13) for 63 livery kits for existing vehicles.  The kits will be funded by the PCC.  VLS will do some of the fitting due to timescales. SCT at their next meeting may decide to mark more vehicle up.

3.4.1.3 Pedal Cycles
Pedal Cycles are to be maintained by VFM with effect from 1 June 2013.
SA reported that an order had been placed for the equipment required for the service and repair of pedal cycles.  A number of staff have expressed an interest in being involved in this and SA had details of the training courses  available to us.  DC said that GTA also have trainers qualified to deliver this type of course. The plan is to set up first at Rotherham and then move on from there. We are aware the Doncaster bikes need to be serviced as soon as possible, so we can prioritise these.  We will need to develop a process and let people know what this is.  JB suggested that  details are added to the important information section on the front page of the Intranet to raise awareness with Districts and Departments of when they should contact VFM for the service and repair of pedal cycles

3.4.1.4 Telematics
SG has been asked by DCC Holt to look at Telematics and establish if savings could be made if we used this system instead of data recorders.  The PCC has some money to fund invest to save projects.  A discussion took place about past experiences of this type of equipment.  It was noted that the back office administrative costs can be very high.

3.5 Finance
SG explained that we are trialling annual vehicle leasing charges rather than monthly charges but with ad hoc items still being charged monthly.  This will help in knowing what income we have for the year and minimise fluctuations.  JB manually checks all recharge reports.    
3.6 Regional Working Update 
SG reported that she is the new Chair for the NAPFM North East regional committee.  NE region feed into the Executive Committee and she will feed into their next meeting in June 2013.

3.6.1 Humberside
Humberside are still looking at working in partnership with the Fire Service.

3.6.2 Tranman Upgrade        
The Tranman upgrade is going ahead and the order for this has now been signed.  Data cleansing will be required and JB will be leading on the technical side.  Information Services will host for SYP and Humberside Police.  A discussion took place about what the upgrade will offer us.

3.7 Business Planning        
Nothing to report.

3.8 Human Resources        
HA reported that reward leave is coming into play.  There have been a few errors but these are being corrected.  Attendance criteria has now been amended to bring us in line with Humberside.  HA offered her help and advice with this.  The process for ‘business interests’ is changing and this will go out live on 1 June 2013.  The ‘Knowledge’ database is not yet available but once it is up and running, will be a one stop shop.  SG said that she had been to a meeting recently which covered a HR ‘dashboard’ of performance indicators.  HA said this can be accessed from the front page of the Intranet – performance reports.  It can be changed to select information for the whole of the Force or just for your Department.  Currently it  only contains sickness figures but there is more to come.

PDRs
There are still a few PDR’s outstanding but we should be in a good position for DCC Holt’s Performance Visit in June.
 
3.9 Risk Registers & Business Continuity     
SG attended a Business Continuity meeting recently and is putting together information on 4 x 4’s across the Force and what  we are doing about winter tyres.

3.10 Performance         
Vehicle availability is still above 98%.

3.10.1 New Perception Surveys
SG explained that DCC Holt has introduced a new performance regime across the Force whereby each district and department will be visited by him on a quarterly basis.  The completion of internal 'customer perception' surveys will be one of the components making up the performance management framework.  SG asked the Management Team if they had any comments for other Districts and Departments to let SG know before Friday 24 May.

3.11 Equality and Diversity       
Nothing to report.

3.12 Stock Control        
Nothing to report.

3.13 Sustainability         
Nothing to report.

4.  ANY OTHER BUSINESS        
4.1 Disposal of Volvo Tyres
There are 18 new Volvo tyres which Goodyear won’t accept back.  It was agreed that as these are brand new tyres they could be sold on the Bumble Bee auction site.  JB said the Driver Co-ordinators had offered to do the administration for selling items on Bumble Bee.  A discussion took place about other items that could be disposed of via Bumble Bee.

4.2 Winter Tyres
SG said it was time to decide which winter tyres to purchase – positive feedback has been received from the last winter season but this could be more to do with getting the timing of the change over to the winter tyres right as at 7º and below, they come into their own.  It was noted that  we will need winter tyres for Astra’s, X5’s and possibly 4 x 4’s as performance and stopping distances improved.  It was agreed that as soon as they request comes in from Goodyear we will start to get the figures together.

4.3 Pollen Filters
DC queried if the practice of not fitting pollen filters was to continue as some problems have arisen with the 2.8 Insignias.  HA advised that a claim for excess pollen in the air would not be supported as pollen is always going to be present.  It was agreed that we should continue making savings from not fitting pollen filters.

Date and time of next meeting
Tuesday 18 June 2013 at 9.30am in VFM Conference Room

Date: 

Wednesday, 22 May, 2013 - 13:30