Vehicle Fleet Management Meeting

1. APOLOGIES - None
 _____________________________________________________________________

ATTENDEES -  Gilding, Sarah (SG) - Head of VFM, (Chair)
  Day, Dave (DD) – Senior Fleet Manager,
  Anderson, Steve (SA) – Fleet Manager, Bodyshop
  Buckley, Jo (JH) – Driver Services Manager
  Stockham, Andy (AS) – Fleet Manager, Doncaster Garage
  Askwith, Heather (HA) – Departmental HR Partner
  Crawford , Don (DC) – Fleet Manager, Churchill Garage
  Kelly, Nicky (NK) – Operational Management Accountant
  Stiles, Mandy (MS) – Administrator (Minutes)

2. OPEN SESSION


3. STANDING ITEMS

3.1 Minutes of previous meeting and actions    
The minutes of the previous meeting on 17 July 2013 were approved as a true record.  The action schedule was reviewed and updated, see action schedule dated 18 September 2013.
 
3.2 Matters arising from the Open Session of previous minutes   
None.

3.3 Declarations of Any Other Business
None.

3.4 Department Structure       
3.4.1 Savings 
The Fleet savings report has not been back to SCT but they have supported it in principal. They asked for more work to be done on consultation with Commanders, which has taken place.  DD has started some work to find out the cost of moving the mechanical workshop from Doncaster to Rotherham but is waiting for FM to come back to him.  SG reported that last week she was contacted by HR, who said we should ask for expressions of interest for VER from Fleet Managers and Motor Vehicle Technicians only.  The closing date for expressions of interest to be registered is today.  SG has received some questions about Pension and is waiting for advice from HR on this but will feed back to the Management Team once she receives the information from HR.
       
3.4.2 Visibility – Livery Fitment 
SG reported that 99 vehicles have now been completed and there are more scheduled to come in.  The target of 100 will be achieved imminently.  SG thanked all those who have helped with this.
     
3.4.3 Pedal Cycles  
SG reported that she had received queries about the process for getting pedal cycles serviced.  SA said that he had already sent out an e-mail to Districts describing the process. SA reported that many of the cycles they had serviced so far had not had a service for some time.  As a result of this initially there may be grester cost but this should be less at the next service.
     
3.4.4 Telematics        
SG is planning to do more work on this.  Three companies have offered a short free trial of their product and have agreed to put their systems in for a two week trial period.  This will take place in Rotherham and they have been asked to identify vehicles to use in the trial, which will then inform an ‘Invest to Save’ report.  Next week SG is attending Northants Police along with an MVT Electrician,  as Northants are presenting a full day on Telematics.

3.5  Finance
NK reported that we currently have a projected under spend of £38,000.  NK handed out a paper to show where the current spends are occurring on the pay budget which has a £22,000 under spend to date, with £45,000 projected to the end of the year.  She reported that it was necessary to formally align the MVT posts currently occupied by people working reduced hours, in order to align the spend for the Apprentices. The tyre budget is over spent and there is a £23,000 over spend on parts YTD.  AS reminded everyone that as we now have contracts with Vauxhall and BMW for the supply of vehicles rather than Ford and Volvo, the parts are more expensive and this needs to be addressed.  NK said she would speak to Corporate Finance about contract inflation/spend.

Action 1 18.09.13: Dave Day to follow up on an e-mail he had sent to Nathan Keegan and Andrew Buxton (at Vauxhall) with reference to obtaining a further discount on vehicle parts by Rotherham using the online system for ordering vehicle parts – training is required for the Store keeper.

Action 218.09.13: Nikky Kelly to find out when Corporate Finance will be asking for bids for the capital budget and let SG know.

A discussion took place with regard to providing fleet vehicles in place of hire vehicles and where we do this the District or Department should have capacity to reduce their budget for hire vehicles and put this in their savings plan.

3.5.1 Trading Accounts        
NK reported that trading accounts hadn’t been produced for this month but there are no issues expected.

3.6  Regional Working Update 
There are issues with a number of returned Regional vehicles from the Regional Road Crime Team. These vehicles are coming in with numerous faults and kit missing but the full picture needs to be collated.

Action 3 – 18.09.13: Sarah Gilding to write to Steve Thompson to ask for the full service history of the returned Regional vehicles.
     
3.6.1 Tranman Upgrade        
The  project continues, cabling work, power supply and brackets have been installed at Churchill Way and Rotherham Workshops. Currently working towards a go live date of end October but have asked for this to be extended.  The Project Board are meeting next week to discuss this.  The setting up of the system will be time consuming but progress is being made.  There is still a lot of work to do on this project.
3.7  Business Planning 
3.7.1 Routine Vehicle checks (Tyres) 

After a recent incident which highlighted the importance of carrying out checks on vehicles,  members of staff from OSS and Vehicle Fleet went out to conduct spot checks and collate details of problems found.  Weekly spot checks are taking place at Rotherham and Barnsley Districts.  DD said that routine checking of vehicles had been mentioned by DCC Holt at the Policing Board and HA said this would be discussed at the next round of Performance visits and that disciplinary action would be taken against those who don’t comply with weekly checks. 
    
3.7.2 Uniform         
The issue of supplying shorts to MVTs arose during the recent spell of hot weather.  This was declined for Health and Safety reasons as trousers are part of the personal protection equipment for MVTs.

3.8  Human Resources
HA reported that VFM were on track in terms of sickness and adhering to the revised procedures in comparison with other Departments.  There are some PDRs outstanding, mainly with regard to HR re-aligning PDR due dates.
       
3.8.1 VER Update
HA reported that those people considering taking VER (if it is formally offered) are able to change their minds up to the last minute.  Individuals will need to approach South Yorkshire Pensions separately in order to obtain a Pension illustration for their individual circumstance and give an estimated finish date.   HR only contacts South Yorkshire Pensions to inform them who has chosen to accept VER in order to provide them with an end of service date.

3.8.2 Vauxhall Training Update       
AS is waiting for confirmation from other forces about who will attend but the training should take place during February 2014.

3.9  Risk Registers & Business Continuity     
SG reported that she had done a review of the Risk Register and has closed a number of Projects.  Some of the risks on there are now normal business and have been taken off as risks, so there are only a couple remaining. New projects will be raised after the next Performance visit.

3.10 Performance         
Vehicle availability has dropped slightly due to the job cards for the vehicle livery project being held back.  DD reported that external vehicle turn round times were good. SA reported that at the last Regional meeting, gear box faults were raised in relation to warranty.

3.11 Equality and Diversity       
Nothing to report.

3.12 Stock Control        
A full stock take needs to be done before Tranman implementation.

3.13 Sustainability         
Nothing to report.

4  ANY OTHER BUSINESS        
None.

Date: 

Wednesday, 18 September, 2013 - 13:30