Health & Safety - Doncaster - 14.8.13

DONCASTER DISTRICT HEALTH & SAFETY CONFERENCE

 

10 am Wednesday, 14 August  2013 

 

 

Present:         Chief Supt Richard Tweed  (Chair)

                        Claire Scott – Admin Support Officer

                        Jane McDonnell - CJU

                         Helen Haigh – Business Manager

Ian Boulton – Facilities

Cheryl Fletcher – Team Leader

 

Apologies:      Delyth Williams – Personnel Manager

Insp Andy McFarlane (Federation)

Mark Artley - UNISON

Chief Insp Gwyn Thomas

 

OPENING OF COMMITTEE

 

1.         Chief Superintendent Tweed welcomed everyone to the meeting and emphasised the importance of Health and Safety meetings. 

 

Health and Safety is the responsibility of all members of the District and any issues identified should be addressed immediately and brought to the attention of the relevant supervisor.

 

  1. Minutes of previous meeting dated 2 May 2013 – Approved

 

  1. Matters Arising – No matters arising

 

  1. Action Schedule updated

 

POLICY

 

  1. Local H&S and welfare Policies agreed by Senior Management:  No issues raised at this time.   A new Force Health & Safety Policy is currently being reviewed and will be circulated at a later date.

 

ORGANISING

 

  1. Managers/Supervisors Reports

 

The College of Policing has indicated that each Force should have a clinical Governance lead on Force H&S Committees.  SYP are looking into this recommendation.   A Business Case is being prepared and will be submitted to DCC Holt.

 

An issue has been raised that now cars as being fitted with bucket seats officers are having difficulty sitting/driving due to the equipment on their belts.  Other options are being looked at with a trial being conducted in the Force regarding ‘Tactical Carrying Vest’.  (On Action Schedule)

 

Water rescues – A new ACPO Guidance is currently being prepared.  Currently SYP do not provide training regarding water rescues or provide equipment for in vehicles  Andy Helowicz is currently reviewing SYP’s position.

 

Health & Wellbeing – The kitchen at College Road has now been decommissioned which will provide some space for lockers from the old gym area.  This will then provide enough space to use the gym and possibly run classes in the future (Pilates etc).   The website is underway and will include all kinds of information including a section on the District Chaplaincy.   The Room is now up and running and includes a TV, DVD (with helpful discs), blood pressure machine, weighing scales. 

 

The Force H&S Committee have instructed that all MOE equipment is checked on a regular basis following an injury caused during a force entry operation.

 

Vehicle Fleet are currently undertaking regular tyre checks.  Officers should be made aware (On Action Schedule).

 

  1. Federated and Union Representative Reports:

 

Nothing highlighted.

 

  1. Health & Safety Training:

 

Nothing highlighted

 

  1. The latest Force H&S minutes  - Chief Supt Tweed went through the minutes and mentioned any items of interest although none related to Doncaster.

 

 

PlanninG AND implementing – policies and procedures

 

  1. Generic/Specific work activity assessment completed.    

 

  1. All evacuation fire drills are up to date.        

 

 

MEASURING PERFORMANCE

 

Active Monitoring

 

  1. Workplace Inspections - Database updated.

 

13.       Managers/Supervisors – No reports received. 

 

Reactive Monitoring

 

  1. Near miss forms   - no pattern identified.

 

  1. No investigations currently running.

 

  1.       Statistics –  No pattern identified.

 

 

AUDITING AND REVIEWING PERFORMANCE

 

  1. Audits  - Health & Safety – None outstanding

 

  1.       Review – Degree of complaint with H&S Legislation/Standards

Achievement of strategy/policy

Action Plans for improvement – None outstanding at this time.  Should any arise details of such should be brought to the next meeting.

 

 

UNRESOLVED ISSUES REFERRED TO FORCE HEALTH AND SAFETY COMMITTEE

 

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

 

Ian Boulton highlighted an issue where the custody suite a leaving medical waste in the rear yard at College Road.  This along with other issues is causing an infestation of rats.  (On Action Schedule)

 

Jane McDonnell pointed out that kit bags were being left in corridors outside the briefing room etc.  (On Action Schedule)

 

For information – First Aid Training, following the initial course, training will only be every two years.

 

Problem re bikes at outside stations (none police bikes)  (On Action Schedule)

 

 

Q oHH     The next District Health and Safety Meeting is to be held at 10 am Wednesday, 6 November 2013, in the

Briefing room at College Road (To be Confirmed)


 

 

DONCASTER HEALTH & SAFETY CONFERENCE – ACTION SCHEDULE

 

 

DATE OF MEETING

ACTION

ACTION MANAGER

NOTES

REVIEW DATE

 

19.7.12

Storage of Cylinders

Cheryl Fletcher

Following a recent environmental study conducted at College Road, it was highlighted that when cylinders are seized by officers we do not have the facilities to store them within a covered area.  Discussion took place and a suggestion made that officers photograph the cylinders and arrange disposal from the location found rather than seizing.  There is a cost implication for disposal if seized and conveyed to College Road.

ACTION:  Helen Haigh is asked to make contact with Andy Helowicz re the carrying of cylinders in vehicles – are we covered by insurance?

There is no specific policy preventing officers from bringing in large electrical items as long as they are stored correctly (ie upright) and disposed of correctly with the correct company.

ACTION:  Supt Norman is asked to review the types of property brought in and its relevance for seizure.

12,000 items of property has now been disposed of resulting in an overall reduction of 50%. 
ACTION:  Helen Haigh is asked to confirm with Cheryl Fletcher whether the issue re cylinders has been resolved.

It appears that there is a policy for the removing of cylinders from police premises but not one for bringing them in.  This has been taken to the Force H&S.
Discussion re taking a photograph of the item and not bringing it into the station etc.  Possibly getting the company who collects from the Police Station to collect from the original location instead.

ACTION:  Helen Haigh to chase Jo Sampson re policy being taken to Force H&S. 


ACTION:  Helen to make contact with Fire Service to enquire as to what they do with cylinders etc.  May be able to link in with their arrangements etc.

ACTION:  Chief Supt Tweed to e-mail all staff advising them re the carrying of dangerous items.

 

ACTION:  Chief Supt Tweed to e-mail staff re the carrying of equipment in vehicles, particularly cylinders.  Advising that photographs should be taken of cylinders and the collection company advised to collect from the scene.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2.9.13

2.5.13

Evacuation area – College Road

Helen Haigh Claire Scott

The current evacuation area for College Road is now not suitable due to a road being opened up etc.  This means that personnel have to cross over a busy road.  New locations for both Fire and Bomb evacuations are being sought.

 

ACTION:  Helen Haigh and Claire Scott to identify new areas (possibly behind the law courts for fire and pillar house car park for bomb) and approach the relevant agencies re their use. 

 

Jo Sampson has been requested to attend the District to identify a more suitable venue for the evacuation of staff following a bomb explosion.

 

ACTION:  Helen Haigh is asked to make contact with DMBC to firstly ask where their staff evacuate to.

 

Following discussion it was agreed that following a fire evacuation that staff parade on the area behind the Magistrates Court.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2.9.13

2.5.13

IOSH Safety Course for Managers

Helen Haigh

ACTION:  Helen Haigh to raise the issue with Delyth Williams to ensure the template re IOSH courses for senior managers is up to date.

COMPLETE

Will also need to look at cover for Fire Wardens as CCTV staff who cover this over a 24 hr period will shortly be moving to other premises.

 

 

 

 

 

        2.9.13

14.8.13

Tyre Checks

Chief Supt Tweed

We have been informed that Vehicle Fleet will be undertaking spot tyre checks across the District.  All relevant staff have previously been instructed to check tyres on a regular basis.  This is being done apart from CID Officers.

 

ACTION:   Chief Supt Tweed to e-mail all DCIs re ensuring that officers carrying out all relevant checks.  This will be dip sampled.,

 

2.9.13

14.8.13

Medical waste in the rear yard at College Road. 

 

 

This along with other issues is causing an infestation of rats.

An e-mail has been circulated reinforcing the instruction to ensure that all waste is disposed of in the correct manner.

 

ACTION:  This should be reinforced by all managers  

2.9.13

14.8.13

Kit bags left in corridors outside the briefing room etc. 

 

Chief Insp Gwyn Thomas

Officers are leaving their kit bags along corridors obviously causing an obstruction prior to going out on duty.

 

ACTION:  Chief Inspector Gwyn Thomas is asked to ensure that this practice stops immediately.

 

2.9.13

14.8.13

Bikes at outside stations (none police bikes) 

 

Cheryl Fletcher

A large number of none police bikes are being stored at outlying stations. 


ACTION:  Cheryl Fletcher is asked to circulate an e-mail instructing that all property should be conveyed to College Road.


ACTION:  Cheryl Fletcher/Claire Scott to visit all stations checking for such property.

 

2.9.13

 

Date: 

Friday, 14 June, 2013 - 10:00