South Yorkshire Police adhere to the FIRST principles and the Code of Ethics.
FIRST stands for Fairness, Integrity, Respect, Standards and Trust.
- Fairness - our job is to be fair and impartial at all times.
- Integrity - our morals and ethics must always be beyond question.
- Respect - for each other and members of the public we serve.
- Standards - following the highest standards of procedure and practice.
- Trust - earning this, from everyone, is our ultimate goal.
The Code of Ethics is a national code of practice, which defines the standards of behaviour for everyone who works in policing. It includes nine policing principles and ten standards of professional behaviour.
The policing principles are accountability, fairness, honesty, integrity, leadership, objectivity, openness, respect and selflessness.
The standards of professional behaviour are:
- Honesty and integrity
- Authority, respect and courtesy
- Equality and diversity
- Use of force
- Orders and instructions
- Duties and responsibilities
- Fitness for work
- Challenging and reporting improper behaviour
To download the Code of Ethics, click here