Report a crime

When to dial 999

  • When there is a threat to life (including road traffic accidents where persons are injured, the road is blocked or a vehicle involved in the accident has failed to stop).
  • Violence to a person or damage to property is imminent.
  • A serious offence is actually in progress.
  • A suspected offender is still at the scene of a crime or any delay in reporting the incident may prevent the offender being apprehended.
  • Serious disruption to the public is currently taking place or, is likely to take place.    

When to dial 101 (non-emergency number)

  • To report a crime not currently taking place and no offender is present.
  • Road traffic accidents where there are no injuries, the highway is not blocked and all parties involved are still at the scene.
  • Where the call is of a routine nature or, to make an appointment to attend an enquiry office.
  • Requests for advice or to give information.
  • Lost / found property enquiries.      

Crime and disorder

Some incidents may seem trivial, and too much trouble to bother reporting, but it's very important that you do. The police target their resources according to analysis of crime reports, so if large numbers of incidents are not reported this analysis will be incorrect.  To report an non-urgent incident to South Yorkshire police please call 101.

Some reports may not result in a visit by a police officer, but when looked at along with other reports from the same area a picture may emerge which enables the police to respond more effectively than to individual incidents.