Special Constables are volunteers who have the same powers as regular officers; they wear the same uniform and are issued with the same protective equipment including handcuffs and baton. This is coupled with an understanding of the law and the teaching of various police procedures.
Specials, as they're known, come from all walks of life - they are teachers, taxi drivers, accountants and secretaries, or from many other careers - and they volunteer for a minimum of 16 hours a month to their local police force, forming a vital link between the regular police and the local community.
Why become a Special?
As a Special Constable you are in a great position to help the local community and make it a safer place to live, free from fear. You will get a feeling of achievement and accomplishment at having done something to help others, while supporting regular officers and contrbuting to the local community.
Becoming a Special will help you to discover a lot about yourself, and you will learn just how much you are capable of. Aside from the satisfaction and enjoyment of the work itself, you will:
- Learn new skills and abilities
- Have your experiences broadened
- Develop self-confidence
- Improve your communication
- Improve your motivation
- Meet a wide range of people
Joining the Specials opens up a world of opportunity for personal and professional advancement. Undergoing the training and then going out on patrol makes a welcome break from day-to-day life, bringing excitement and challenge with every day you volunteer.
If you are interested in becoming a Special Constable your first step is to attend one of our presentation events. Here, you have the chance to find out more information and you will have the opportunity to speak to Special Constables yourself and find out about the role from those who do the job.
Presentation Dates - PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT THE VENUES DIRECT, THE BOOKINGS ARE MADE THROUGH SOUTH YORKSHIRE POLICE ONLY
- Monday 6th April 2015 @ 6.00pm @ Niagara Sports and Social Club, Niagara Road, Sheffield S6 1LU -Please be aware this event has been rescheduled to Thursday 9th April - All other details remain the same.
- Thursday 9th April @ 6.00pm @ Niagara Sports and Social Club, Niagara Road, Sheffield S6 1LU - Previously scheduled for 6th April.
- Wednesday 8th April 2015 @ 6.00pm @ Lifewise Centre, Kea Park Close, Hellaby Ind. Est. Rotherham S66 8LB
- Monday 13th April 2015 @ 6.00pm @ Barnsley College, University Campus, Church Street, Barnsley S70 2AN
- Tuesday 14th April 2015 @ 6.30pm @ Room S.3.800, Doncaster College, Chappell Drive, Doncaster DN1 2RF