Report something

Date published: 23 December 2019 10:59

When to call 999

  • When there is a threat to life; this includes road traffic accidents where people are injured, the road is blocked or a vehicle involved in the accident has failed to stop
  • Violence to a person or damage to property is imminent
  • A serious offence is actually in progress
  • A suspected offender is still at the scene of a crime
  • When any delay in reporting the incident may prevent the apprehension of an offender
  • When serious disruption to the public is currently taking place or, is likely to take place

When to call 101 (non-emergency)

  • To report a crime that is not currently taking place and the offender is no longer present
  • Where your call is a routine enquiry
  • To make an appointment to attend an enquiry desk
  • Requests for advice or to provide information
  • Lost and found property enquiries

Before calling, please visit our 'Should I Call 101 page' to check whether it is something we can help you with.

Tell us

Some incidents may seem trivial, and too much trouble to bother reporting, but it's very important that you do. We target our resources according to analysis of crime reports, so if large numbers of incidents are not reported this analysis will be incorrect.

Not all reports of crime result in a visit by a police officer, but when looked at along with other reports from the same area a picture may emerge which enables the police to respond more effectively than to individual incidents.

Did you know that you can report anonymously?

If you want to report crime or suspicious activity, you can contact Crimestoppers with the information anonymously.

You can do this by calling them on 0800 555 111 or by completing their online form.