Should I call 101?

Date published: 28 November 2023 13:25

Abandoned vehicles

An abandoned vehicle is a vehicle, which appears to have been given up.

In South Yorkshire, your local council is responsible for arranging the removal of abandoned vehicles on public land. Please see below for contact details.

Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council - 01226 773555

City of Doncaster Council - 01302 736000 

Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council - 01709 382121

Sheffield City Council - 0114 273 4567


We will attend alarms installed in line with the NPCC Alarms Policy. The majority of domestic alarms do not comply with that policy by virtue of the fact they are audible only systems.

We will respond to domestic alarms when there is some evidence of criminal activity. If an alarm is activated and there is evidence of criminal activity or you see something suspicious, dial 999 in an emergency.

To complain about noise coming from an alarm, please contact your local council.

Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council - 01226 773555

City of Doncaster Council - 01302 737573

Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council - 01709 382121

Sheffield City Council - 0114 273 4567

Boundary disputes

Disagreements over property ownership between separated couples, friends or family where the ownership of property is in dispute are civil matters and you should contact a solicitor.

For further advice, please contact Citizen’s Advice on 03444 111444.

Neighbour disputes over land are also civil and you should contact a solicitor.

Call 101 if there are aggravating criminal factors, which may be classed as antisocial behaviour or harassment.

Central ticket office

If you would like to speak to somebody about a speeding ticket or fixed penalty notice, you need to contact the central ticket office.

Central Ticket Office do not deal with payments or Driving Licences if your query is regarding this please contact :-

North East Fixed Penalties
PO Box 223
LS27 1DN

To pay a fine the automated payment line number is 03001231481 for payment queries 0113 3076660.

If you would like to speak to someone in relation to a Fixed Penalty Notice you have been issued or received by post, or a section 172 Notice you have received relating to a Safety Camera Offence please contact the Ticket Processing Unit on 01709 832456 Opening hours 10am till 12pm Monday to Friday.


You should contact the police:
• To report a dangerous dog
• If you've been bitten by a dog
• If you've hit a dog with a vehicle
• If you suspect someone has a banned breed of dog, for example, a pit bull terrier

To report any of the above issues please contact us on 101.

Your local council is responsible for dealing with stray dogs. See below for contact details.

Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council - 01226 773555

City of Doncaster Council - 01302 736000

Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council - 01709 382121

Sheffield City Council - 0114 273 4567

If you believe a dog is being neglected or abused please contact the Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) on 0300 1234 999 or call your local council.


You can let off fireworks any time of year, and any day of the week including Sundays, but this must be between the hours of 7am and 11pm.

There is a curfew on the use of fireworks between 11pm and 7am, except on;

Bonfire Night: This is extended until midnight

New Year’s Eve: This is extended until 1am the following day

Diwali: This is extended until 1am the following day

Chinese New Year: This is extended until 1am the following day

The penalties for using fireworks outside the allowed hours are imprisonment (maximum six months) and a substantial fine.

An offence could also be committed if they are used to cause a nuisance.

Call 101 if you want to report fireworks being used outside of the permitted times.


If the rubbish is on private land then it is the landowners responsibility to have it removed.

If the rubbish is on council land then you should contact your local authority to come and remove the rubbish. See contact details below.

Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council

City of Doncaster Council

Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council 

Sheffield City Council 

If you see someone flytipping a large amount of waste, you should call the police on 101.


Action Fraud, the UK’s national reporting centre for fraud and cybercrime, is where you should report fraud if you have been scammed, defrauded or experienced cybercrime in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Reporting fraud or cybercrime:

You can report fraud or cybercrime to Action Fraud any time of the day or night using the online reporting tool. Reporting online is quick and easy. The tool will guide you through simple questions to identify what has happened and advisors are available on web chat 24 hours a day to give you help and advice if you need it.

When reporting online you will be given the option to register, login to an existing account or continue as a guest.

By registering you will be able to:

  • Save and resume a partially completed report
  • Track progress of your report
  • Add information to your report
  • Call Action Fraud to discuss your report
  • Receive an update by email

If you continue as a guest you will only be able to receive updates by email or post.

You can also report to Action Fraud by calling 0300 123 2040 Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm. If you are calling from abroad please call +44 300 123 2040

Businesses and Charities:

If you are a business, charity or other organisation that is suffering a live cyber attack, please call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 immediately, where specialist advisors are waiting to take your call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

After a report has been made to Action Fraud, it will be sent for assessment by the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB). The NFIB’s systems assess reports of fraud and cyber crime from across the UK, helping to build a national picture of where fraud and cyber crime is taking place.

Experts review the data from these reports to decide whether there is enough information to send to a police force for investigation.

Action Fraud is not an investigative body and therefore cannot guarantee or prompt a police investigation or advise you on the contents of your report. Whilst we aim to provide an update to reports within 28 days, this is not always possible if the report is still under review by NFIB.

Inconsiderate parking

Police deal with parking issues that cover:

  • Double white lines
  • Obstruction
  • Bends
  • Brows of hills

Your local council deal with parking issues covering:

  • Double / single yellow lines
  • Bus stops clearways
  • Clearways
  • Double parking
  • Pedestrian crossings

If a vehicle is parked legally on the road, the police have no powers to move it even if it does not belong to anyone who lives on the street where it is parked.

Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council - 01226 770770

City of Doncaster Council - 01302 73600

Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council - 01709 382121

Sheffield City Council - 0114 2734567

Lost mobile phone

If you have lost your mobile phone, you should call your service provider.

Visit here for more information about what to do about lost or found property.

Medical non-emergency

To report a medical non-emergency, please contact your GP.

If you are worried about an urgent medical concern, you can call the NHS helpline on 111.

Visit the NHS for more details.

Noise pollution

Noise should only be reported to the police if it is linked to a crime (ie. domestic abuse or antisocial behaviour). If it is, you should call 101 or 999 if it is an emergency.

If you’re having a problem with noise like loud music, noisy pubs, rowdy parties or barking dogs in your neighbourhood, your council can help you. See below for contact details.

Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council

City of Doncaster Council

Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council 

Sheffield City Council 

Road traffic collisions

If you're involved in a minor collision, no injury is caused to anyone involved in the collision, and all parties have exchanged details, then there is no requirement to report this to the police. Your insurance company will deal with this under Civil Law.

If, as a driver of a vehicle (including car, motorcycle or bus), you are involved in an accident in which;

  • A person, is injured
  • Damage has been caused to another vehicle or to someone else’s property – including street lamps, signs, bollards etc
  • An animal, other than one in your own vehicle/trailer, has been killed or injured

... then you must report it to the police within 24 hours.

We would ask you to attend a police station in person to report this within the 24 hour period.

We have prepared some frequently asked questions for you to review before attending at a police station.

You should always inform your insurance company, even if you are not intending to present a claim.

If you are a solicitor and/or insurance company requesting disclosure of road traffic documents, you must apply in writing to oss_accident_records@southyorks.pnn.police.uk.
Please give as much detail as possible including your clients name, VRM, date and location of collision.

If you are a member of the public and are wanting an update on a collision you can contact the team on:

Telephone: 0114 2202856 between the hours of 10am and 2pm Monday to Friday.
Email: oss_rtc_clerks@southyorks.pnn.police.uk  

The disclosure price list.

For more information on Road Traffic Collisions, visit Askthepolice.co.uk