Enquiries into death of man in Barnsley continue

Date published: 16 January 2019 17:35
Dated: 16 January 2019 17:33:58

Detectives investigating the discovery of the body of a man in Barnsley are appealing for witnesses to come forward.

Emergency services were called to Smithies Pond at around 8.30am on Sunday 13 January, where the body of 56-year-old Kenneth Morse was found. He was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.

His death is currently being treated as unexplained and as enquiries continue, officers are now appealing for information, as T/Detective Chief Inspector Simon Palmer explains.

“We continue to piece together Mr Morse’s movements prior to his death and we know that the he arrived in Barnsley by public transport on the morning of Saturday 12 January with the intention of attending the Barnsley football match. He left the Courthouse Public House at around 10.20am.    

“Mr Morse was later found with a head injury at around 2pm in an underpass on Pontefract Road. He was taken to hospital in Barnsley but left later that evening, before being formally discharged. The CCTV image shows him leaving hospital that day.

“A missing person enquiry was then launched before his body was found the following morning. His family continue to be supported by specialist officers.”

A post-mortem examination was carried out however further results are awaited in order to establish the cause of death.

T/DCI Palmer added: “We are keen to hear from anyone who saw Mr Morse after he left the Courthouse Public House until he was found on Pontefract Road on Saturday 12 January.

“If you have any information that could assist with our enquiries, please call 101 quoting incident number 246 of 13 January 2019. You can also speak to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.”

As Mr Morse had been reported missing prior to his death, the incident has been referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), as is routine in such cases.

Related Content

No related content found